Does SEO work on CPA model
    Does the SEO work on CPA model?

As we work only on CPA model, would like to know if there are SEOs that work on that model. Would they work on the same kind of commission which is given to other affiliates? Do we need to give them a better deal as they bring more traffic and the conversions are also good?

Cheers

SEO means Search Engine Optimization and at least theoretically everyone does it. It is not one specific channel of affiliates who work on that model. AdWords PPC affiliates do SEO, Coupon sites do SEO, everyone is trying to please the magic bots. It is not unusual to offer a higher commission to affiliates who send you more sales but it is better to set commission levels on some verifiable criteria and not based solely on one affiliate model. Reward hard work and success, not the method. If there are specific methods you do not wish to work with, spell it out in your terms.

I'm not certain that I answer the question. Let me try to rephrase what I think you are asking:

"We are a company presenting a cost-per-action offer, and we'd like to hire a search-engine optimization (SEO) expert to help us generate organic traffic to our web site. Will any SEO experts agree to do this type of work in exchange only for a CPA payment?"

One problem is that with SEO, there is no "tracking code" or cookie that specifically identifies which traffic came as a result of the expert's work. Another problem is that the SEO expert might do a wonderful job, but your offer might be lousy, or your web site not effective at selling, or for some reason nobody will buy from you.

Are there SEO experts who will agree to work on this basis? Absolutely, yes. Are they all honest and ethical? Absolutely not. Over the past 12 years or so, I've talked to many merchants who hired SEO consultants on this basis, and felt that the consultant didn't do the work promised -- in short, the SEO consultant waved a magic wand, and then claimed credit for all sales that occurred thereafter, even though those sales would probably have come in anyway.

SEO is an art, not a science; sometimes an SEO expert can do everything right, and yet your site doesn't draw much organic traffic; sometimes an SEO consultant can do nothing and still traffic comes flowing in because of your past activity, or because some people give you backlinks because they like you (and not because of anything the SEO person did).

How can you measure this? What exactly are you asking for?

SEO Tracking
    Well Mark, I saw that you mentioned the following in your reply: (
    One problem is that with SEO, there is no "tracking code" or cookie that specifically identifies which traffic came as a result of the expert's work. Another problem is that the SEO expert might do a wonderful job, but your offer might be lousy, or your web site not effective at selling, or for some reason nobody will buy from you.)

Are you certain that there is no way of tracking what work the SEO "Expert" did? If you already knew what you had done previously, is there no other way to see what "new traffic" this SEO Consultant will bring or is bringing in?

Just wondering

There are always techniques and strategies to attempt to measure things. You can always try. But some things are easier to measure than others. The goal of SEO work is to "influence" (improve) your position in search engines -- but search engines won't help you figure out what caused a particular change. With affiliate or PPC links, you can append specific tracking codes; this doesn't work for SEO.

With affiliate programs, PPC activity, and other paid advertising, you can generally track with great accuracy -- usually with 90% to 95% confidence. With SEO, you're unlikely to have any data that provides confidence of even 20%.

Suppose that three months ago, your site drew 10 visitors per week from Google searches (that is, you can see that Google is the referring URL for 10 visitors per week). And suppose that you currently draw 100 visitors per week from Google searches.

You hire an SEO consultant who makes some changes to your site this month. Next month, you see 125 visitors per week from Google searches. The following month, you see 160 visitors per week from Google searches; the month after that, you see 225 visitors per week from Google searches.

How could you determine what portion of the increase is due to SEO work, and what portion is due to other factors? Sure, maybe your SEO consultant found a way to persuade 50 other web sites to link to your site, which probably helped your search-engine ranking, but perhaps 10 other web sites added links independent of any effort by the consultant. Or maybe Google had an algorithm adjustment that eliminated some of your spammy competitors from the search results. Or maybe more people searched for particular keywords each month.

Consider this scenario:
    March: average 10 google-search referrals per week
    June: 100 google referrals per week
    ** June 15: You hire an SEO consultant, who does some work.
    July: 125 google referrals per week
    August: 160 google referrals per week
    September: 450 google referrals per week
    October: 1,250 google referrals per week
    November: 400 google referrals per week
    December: 450 google referrals per week
    January: 190 google referrals per week
    February: 170 google referrals per week

How would you evaluate the performance of the SEO consultant?

Now, consider some options for this scenario:

(1) Suppose you sell school backpacks. A surge in September would be expected even without any SEO work; maybe the surge in October could be attributed to the SEO work.

(2) Suppose instead that you sell costumes. Now, what impact do you attribute to the SEO work? Given the frequency of "costume" keyword searches during these particular months, I don't see any clear impact of the SEO work. (In fact, this data might even be interpreted as showing that the SEO work actually damaged your costume site's search-engine rankings!)

(3) Suppose you sell patio furniture. Since I'd expect patio furniture searches and sales to peak in spring and summer, I'm much more likely to attribute the autumn surge in search traffic to the SEO work.

HI Mark,

Thanks for the great insight.True it is quite difficut to measure the performance of a SEO but when the SEO is part of an Affiliate Network, everything is measurable,the impressions and the clicks they have brought and the sales that has happened due to their work is all clearly stated.As of now I am looking at hiring such affiliates from the affiliate networks which we are part of.

I think all good affiliates would definitely be a part of some good networks.Correct me if I am wrong.

I would like to identify such affiliates and make them more active.I am also quite sure our products are definitely good and affiliates working on that particular niche would definitely be interested, just that we need to make ourselves heard.We are already in the process and as an Affiliate Manager I would like to make it as fast as possible.

Cheers

I would like to identify such affiliates and make them more active.I am also quite sure our products are definitely good and affiliates working on that particular niche would definitely be interested, just that we need to make ourselves heard.We are already in the process and as an Affiliate Manager I would like to make it as fast as possible.
    The easiest and fastest way to present your program's selling points to a large number of highly qualified affiliates is to simply pay for an announcement here at ABW. You put up the details, including sign up links, terms, etc. and any who are truly interested will beat a path to your door. http://www.abestweb.com/advertising/

But- affiliates are not sitting around waiting for the next new program to jump on it, many who sign up have every intention of promoting your products - when they get to that program on their list of things to do. It is not always instant-on.

everything is measurable,the impressions and the clicks they have brought and the sales that has happened due to their work is all clearly stated
    Careful looking only at numbers. Some of the highest producers not only don't do any SEO, they move numbers from your column to theirs. You really need to read much more to have a full grasp of managing your program to your best benefit. I would suggest two things before you run to place your announcement:
    1. Read the Becoming a Merchant and Merchant Best Practices forums http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=206 at ABW.
    2. Talk to an OPM (an Outsourced Program Manager) there are many excellent OPMs here at ABW, many offer a free consultation and they can help you start out with a successful basis instead of learning from your mistakes.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by 2busy; August 12th, 2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added link

Thanks 2Busy,

Yes I would definitely look at new program announcement in ABW, apart from that I would also look at banner advertising and email blast,hope this does wonders for our affiliate program.

There are very good and highly qualified affiliates out here in ABW and would like to have them on board and hope they work on the niche market which we are part of.

Cheers

Thanks 2Busy.

Do you think hiring an OPM would be a better idea?

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread