Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Will Try My First Wordpress Blog Today
    Later today and will document it here, my own little diary. I'm probably one of the most tech challenged people here, would put myself in the bottom 10% as far as that. So we'll see how it goes.

Plan is to buy a new domain at Godaddy. Then buy hosting for the first time at Hostgator - http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml Looks like I'll get the Baby Plan for $7.95 a month. Will also look for coupons before I do. And I'll do the self install they have at Hostgator with Wordpress.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    After the install Trust thinks "Wow that was a lot easier than I thought"

good luck!

Good luck...you have used all the same vendors I used and everything works great. The WP self install on HostGator is literally TOO easy.

We're pulling for you trust. We're all in this thing together. LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Good Luck Trust!

One of the most difficult decisions is deciding on a WordPress theme to use. There are some really nice ones out there.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    you can't get a better or easier free blog system than Wordpress. Enjoy it!

"Later today and will document it here, my own little diary. I'm probably one of the most tech challenged people here, would put myself in the bottom 10% as far as that."

Am in that 10% with ya possibly or more probably the verrrry bottom with you waaay ahead of me. I got confidence in ya, tho. If you can do it, there may be hope for me so definitely rootin for ya.

You've gotten farther than me cos don't even understand picking a domain, thought I could just add to site I had already as I guess like another page or somethin. Ok.....am stoppin now cos I'll just be reinforcing my bein at the very bottom. I did actually push the thingie to install itat HG but then it scared me so I uninstalled it. I am sooooo brave.

Good luck Trust....I know ya can do it

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Later today and will document it here, my own little diary. I'm probably one of the most tech challenged people here, would put myself in the bottom 10% as far as that. So we'll see how it goes.
    Have fun, Trust.

The hardest parts are
    1.to keep your diary going
    2.don't get flattered by those comments that simply trying to spam your blog.

BTW,I'm not good at either one .

HostGator CP > Fantastico > Wordpress One Click Install
    Simply done with most cPanel web hosts.

Good Luck!
    I am looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Jason
    Jason
    [url=http://www.bhphoto.com/]B&H Photo[/url] :|: [url=http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/affiliates.jsp]Join Our Affiliate Program[/url] :|: [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2478435]Join on CJ[/URL]
    email: Jasonn at BHphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    And I'll do the self install they have at Hostgator with Wordpress.
    This got me to thinking as I just did my 3rd WP blog a few days ago. I have always done the manual install, but see that I could have WHM enable WP as a cPAddon and do it like Trust.

I checked and if done right now it would give me WP 2.8 and the latest version is 2.8.3. I'm wondering how much the lag in updates would matter.

Great thread idea as we can all learn some stuff I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    This got me to thinking as I just did my 3rd WP blog a few days ago. I have always done the manual install, but see that I could have WHM enable WP as a cPAddon and do it like Trust.

I checked and if done right now it would give me WP 2.8 and the latest version is 2.8.3. I'm wondering how much the lag in updates would matter.

Great thread idea as we can all learn some stuff I'm sure.
    Since the 2.8.x upgrades can be quickly done with one click from within WP, it really shouldn't matter much.

I was having a horrible time getting the auto upgrade function to work on any of my blogs. That's been true for something around a year now.

I changed webhosts a week and a half ago (you still with KH, John?) and -- WHAM! For the very first time, WP's auto upgrade function works perfectly for upgrading the WP install AND for upgrading plugins and themes.

So, though my previous webhost apparently never could figure out what settings needed changing/tweaking/whatever -- my new webhost has it right, and the WP auto upgrade function takes care of all that.

Sorry for rambling!
    Generate more fake news.

I changed webhosts a week and a half ago (you still with KH, John?) and -- WHAM! For the very first time, WP's auto upgrade function works perfectly for upgrading the WP install AND for upgrading plugins and themes.
    Like I said I'm not using the cPanel install, but have had no trouble with the updates. Would like to hear the details on your new host when you get time. Maybe a pm so as not to get to far off topic here. I did pm you a while back and got no reply. I'm wondering if it is working. PMed knight yesterday with no reply yet. Might not have had time.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    Maybe a pm so as not to get to far off topic here. I did pm you a while back and got no reply. I'm wondering if it is working. PMed knight yesterday with no reply yet. Might not have had time.
    Oops. I can't find whatever PM you are talking about. Maybe read it and deleted it. Duh.

Just sent you a PM.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    So, though my previous webhost apparently never could figure out what settings needed changing/tweaking/whatever -- my new webhost has it right, and the WP auto upgrade function takes care of all that.
    Can you give us a clue (before host > new host)?
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

The automated installs of WP do not always install the latest versions. It is not easy enough to upgrade the install to the latest version of WP from the admin area after you install it.

I've seen a significant amount of exploited security holes taken advantage of... blogs, servers, sites being hacked. If you're using your blog as a source of revenue it may be very important to you to know that you're as secure as can be. You can find some info on securing your blog @ WP:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress

Make sure to keep your servers secure, or if your on shared hosting that you're with a reputable host.

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    Can you give us a clue (before host > new host)?
    Uh, well, I guess. I don't really have a beef with my former host in general. That was KnownHost. I had a VPS with them, and for the most part, their support was very fast and good. I developed a couple of issues last month and simply looked around.

My new host is WiredTree. I have a VPS account with them. I found a deal looking around a web hosting forum that gave me a huge amount more resources with WiredTree than I had with KH at almost exactly the same price.

MODS: I don't know whether naming specific web hosting companies like this constitutes a violation of ABW terms of service, forum rules, whatever. If so, please delete this. I certainly don't want to put down KH, nor do any free advertising for WiredTree. Thanks.
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Ok, registered domain name, signed up for hostgator, installed wordpress.

Got this

Install WordPress (3/3)

/home/xxxxxxx/public_html/wp-config.php configured
    /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/data.sql configured

Please notice:

We only offer auto-installation and auto-configuration of WordPress but do not offer any kind of support.

You need a username and a password to enter the admin area. Your username is xxxxxxx. Your password is xxxxxx The full URL to the admin area (Bookmark this!): http:/ / xxxxxxxxxxxx. com/wp-admin/

DO NOT REMOVE the file named fantastico_fileslist.txt from the installation directory. It is used for uninstalling this application.

Then went back to godaddy to Nameservers, hit Manage and changed them to the 2 nameservers I see in Hostgator under Account Information.

Does that look right so far?

I guess it takes awhile to propagate since it's going to a godaddy parked page right now.

Looks good. Should be working as soon as your domain propagates.

Godaddy domains have pointed to HostGator for me in just a matter of minutes. If you load the domain before it does propagate you might cache the parked page and it may seem to take longer.

If needed, you can flush your DNS cache by using the windows command prompt and typing:

ipconfig /flushdns

ABW Ambassador
    Alright it propagated so I guess so far so good.

First thing I see when I login is WordPress 2.8.3 is available! Please update now.

So I should go ahead and do that?

Also, there is a thread around here somewhere, trying to find it about something.com and www. something.com and I want the www. in front. I guess default is without www?

I guess in the General Settings -

WordPress address (URL) http: mysite.com
    Blog address (URL) http: mysite.com Enter the address here if you want your blog homepage to be different from the directory you installed WordPress.

So I guess I just add the www in both places and that will do it?

Yes update to the latest stable version. A simple click will do it for you.

And for the other part click:
    Settings > General
    Add the www. part in front of both wordpress address and blog address.

ABW Ambassador
    Alright, did both. Thanks. Think I'll just play around with it a little tonight and then more tomorrow.

You did it! Good job!

As someone said, the hardest part is picking a theme.

Oh, the choices.....are too many.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    You did it! Good job!

As someone said, the hardest part is picking a theme.

Oh, the choices.....are too many.

That's the truth. I've been looking for one and the hours have just zipped by. Think I'll start with one of the free ones available in the interface. Then later on maybe try some others or pay for one. So with what I've done so far, you guys usually look for the theme next, then plugins, then settings? or some other order. I think tomorrow I'll try to settle on my first theme.

Also had a question, if anybody knew why you had to sign up for wordpress.com for an API key. I was looking at the plugins and was ready to install askimet but you needed a key but they didn't have one with the wordpress I was using, the .org, so you had to sign up at the .com to get one. Didn't understand why they didn't just have one where I was at.

If you go with a free theme, be careful from where you get it. There are lots of them and many of them have 'sponsored links' at the bottom. These need to be left in place according to the license.

My concern with these links is if they are coded into the theme and changed remotely. I may not notice what links are being advertised on my site.

Also some free themes have allegedly been known to include malicious code that provides a back door.

Not all free themes are bad... just be sure to choose carefully and inspect the code before installing.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast