Signing Up Without A Developed Website
    I used to do affiliate work years ago, and I'm looking to get back into it, but I don't currently have any developed sales sites, just the domains. How strict is Shareasale about having an already developed site? I feel I need the products to promote before I can start working, and I just don't want to get an account rejected before I even start.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus
    I used to do affiliate work years ago, and I'm looking to get back into it, but I don't currently have any developed sales sites, just the domains. How strict is Shareasale about having an already developed site? I feel I need the products to promote before I can start working, and I just don't want to get an account rejected before I even start.
    Sometimes the best experiences, comes from some rejections!

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Icarus,

What I generally recommend in this case is to apply with a site about you or your business. For example, if you are a site builder - who builds sites around products that you decide on at a future date - ... first put up a site about yourself that explains what you do and in general terms how you operate, and give examples of some past work if possible etc... Then when we see you apply we know what is going on, etc... If you just apply with a blank domain or something similar it is difficult for us (or any merchant) to understand.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Hiya Brian. I have a similar question about ShareASale. I don't have a site either. Never had one. I'm not even a web developer,nor a merchant. I'm a 28+ year mainframe programmer.

I recently stumbled upon affiliate marketing and right now I'm going through the "School of Hard Knocks"! Basically getting my feet wet and trying to learn the basic ropes of PPC via AdWords.

So right now I've got a tightly focused campaign for one electronic product from one of your competitor AM programs. It was one of their few products I felt comfortable promoting ... I'm refining my Ad Groups, and after I weed out some underperforming keywords after today's budget is exhausted, I should have a CTR somewhere close to 3%. I think that's good, considering I'm going up against pctools, STOPzilla, GeekSquad, McAfee, webroot, etc ...

Anyway, I've come to realize the odds are so greatly stacked against what I'm doing now, so I'm planning for the next level. I now know I need my own domain/site. I'm just wondering what most of the AM Programs out there will accept from a content perspective? Would something as simple as a kind of online storefront be acceptable? I site themed around downloadable products? Striclty a venue to publish AM merchant's products?

Or would I have to have more original content, such as blogs, reviews, articles, etc?

I look forward to your answer. If I do decide to take this forward, I'll need to invest in hosting, a domain and learn web design and a lot more. I've already started playing with a trial version of Dreamweaver.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Original content is what I would say... but there are a lot of opinions here on what is best, definitely hang around here and you'll form some opinions and ideas. You can then add them to your real-world experiences and that's a pretty good recipe.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Man, your are fast as greased lightning responding to posts! I do appreciate your input.

Heheh, the learning curve is immensely steep, as I'm sure you realize. I'm a total noob to marketing, PPC, AdSense, SEO, AM, web design ... The list is alomst endless!!

I went into this realizing how fiercely competitive the field is, and also understanding small business failure rates. So I have no illusions or delusions.

I guess for the time being I'll focus my effort optimizing PPC campaigns and learning web design. If that doesn't discourage me, then I'll give a second tought to a more serious effort. I do have some ideas, but right now they're just tiny little acorns ...

Quote Originally Posted by joemon
    Man, your are fast as greased lightning responding to posts! I do appreciate your input.

Heheh, the learning curve is immensely steep, as I'm sure you realize. I'm a total noob to marketing, PPC, AdSense, SEO, AM, web design ... The list is alomst endless!!

I went into this realizing how fiercely competitive the field is, and also understanding small business failure rates. So I have no illusions or delusions.

I guess for the time being I'll focus my effort optimizing PPC campaigns and learning web design. If that doesn't discourage me, then I'll give a second tought to a more serious effort. I do have some ideas, but right now they're just tiny little acorns ...
    Have you thought about starting with a WordPress blog? Very easy to set up on a domain; can be easily "tweaked" to work as a CMS not just a blog. You can add affiliate text links, banners, etc., quite easily to your content.

Something worth thinking about if you want a solid option to get online and get a website up and running. Search the "Blogging" forum here at ABW for lots of good information.
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto
    There are also lots of merchants that don't allow Direct to Merchant PPC, with more disallowing it pretty much daily.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks for the advice writer! Okay, now I have two more things to research: WordPress & CMS! It ain't gonna end, is it?

The only CMS I'm familiar with is the fed agency that adminsters Medicare, Medicaid and CHP. I'm a consultant and my current client is a regional "Blue".

I'm actually not all that worried about the technical end of it all. Though I'm a mainframe and not a web techie, I'm very good at what I do. I'm a quick study and I absolutely love a technical challenge.

I do appreciate any advice from you or any other member of this forum. Tanks again!

I have some advice for Icarus & joemon.
    I have basic html, CSS, Dreamweaver, & Photoshop skills but I still get stuck at times on website layout designs or I'll be happy with the layouts for a while but then I'll want something fresh
    I intend to convert my sites according to the layout guides I "discovered" in a search last night:
    Perfect multi-column CSS liquid layouts - iPhone compatible

You still need the content to be unique so that you will stand out but those layout suggestions might help
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks Rhia! Bookmarked in my ABW Forums Folder Useful Threads!

I've already started playing with a trial version of Dreamweaver.
    Dreamweaver is as expensive as hell and will not do a single thing that Expression Web 2 from Microsoft won't do.

EW 2 is a lot cheaper than DW and runs a lot faster than DW. I've used then both and I use and like EW2 a lot better than DW.

More information here. http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Expr...0213889&sr=8-2

UPGRADE INFORMATION: You can upgrade to Microsoft Expression Web 2 from Expression Web version 1. Owners of any versions of Adobe/Macromedia's Creative Suite, Dreamweaver, Flash or Director, GoLive, Microsoft Office and Microsoft FrontPage are also eligible to upgrade to Microsoft Expression Web 2.

Thanks for that bit of advice BB! A penny saved is a penny earned!!

And yeah, I noticed Dreamweaver was a bit pricey. Another bit of useful info to tuck away into my archives!

Hi Brian,

Hi,

We at Homeideaz.com have applied 3-4 times and have gotten rejected each time.
    we are successfully using Cj , Linkshare, Pepperjam .
    We need to integrate Shareasale via popshops on our link homeideaz.com/test then go live.

Our full site is live on above link so please see we are not a fraudulent business and approval from your side would be really beneficial to our customers.

Please consider the same.

Regards
    Rajiv Unnikrishnan
    Homeideaz.com / .co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale View Post
    Icarus,

What I generally recommend in this case is to apply with a site about you or your business. For example, if you are a site builder - who builds sites around products that you decide on at a future date - ... first put up a site about yourself that explains what you do and in general terms how you operate, and give examples of some past work if possible etc... Then when we see you apply we know what is going on, etc... If you just apply with a blank domain or something similar it is difficult for us (or any merchant) to understand.

Rajiv, I have several thoughts about your situation.

First, your web site is a "placeholder" -- a pretty one, but without any content that would allow a network (and each merchant) to see what kind of site this will be. (This might be perceived as a "template site," similar to the kinds of "pretty but content-free" web sites that crooks often use when trying to join networks and merchants whom they plan to defraud). If you created some example content pages, you might get better results.

Second, the letter "Z" in web site names is huge "red flag" for merchants (and consumers), because substituting the letter "Z" for "s" is frequently a sign that the web site encourages or enables illegal activities. (Example: "warez").

Third, your domain registration (whois record) reflects a Mumbai (India) address (see this discussion thread for a discussion of why many networks and merchants reject publishers from India), but also a "free email" address.

Doubts
    Well what u say is kinda right as of now we dont have content since we are still on test sites our site goes live in month.
    We are filling in the content and getting the coding done for popshops etc.
    Many merchants have accepeted us but since we are no live with full site many are rejecting.
    Guess will have to wait and see.
    Though registered in Mumbai our area is US and Canada , seperate site for UK.

Rajiv

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread