Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beware Hostgator Rip Off
    A friend of mine was looking for some hosting services and i refered them to hostgator with my affiliate link as they seemed to offer some pretty good services at a good price.My friend pasted the correct CJ tracking link right into Internet explorer and landed on hostgator and signed up and paid for it right away.

The clicks tracked but the commission did not so i emailed hostgator to explain the situation.

There responce was that my friend had clicked a link on a template site and that the last cookie won the sale, I replied to them stating that this would not be possible as they pasted my link right into IE and signed up right away so i would have been the last cookie.

They flat out refused to pay the commission and said there is nothing they can do ( what a load of shyte)

Im glad i dont promote them in any other way becuase if i did they would be removed from any and all advertising.I will never refer them to anyone else for these underhanded tatics and this is just a heads up to all of you that might be promoting them or are thinking of doing so to BEWARE.

I know alot of hosting has high reversal rates but this was definately a sale that was not reversed and i have all the financial proof of this sale

(DODGIE MERCHANT!) avoid if you dont want to get burnt!

Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure not to promote them.

The network controls the clicks, not the merchant. Assuming the sale was credited to another affiliate, CJ should have a record of this. Contact CJ with the Order ID of the sale, and they will look into it.

Although it is relatively unknown around here, CJ actually has an advertiser quality department that will look into this. They might now get back to you with specific evidence, but they will evaluate to make sure things are tracking properly. If they find something shady going on, the merchant will be charged with down tracking fees etc.
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

[QUOTE=jclaydon]The network controls the clicks, not the merchant. Assuming the sale was credited to another affiliate, CJ should have a record of this. Contact CJ with the Order ID of the sale, and they will look into it.

You've been CJ's greatest fan today. I like many affiliates have contacted CJ with tracking issues and commission problems. They always refer me to the merchant.

CJ has never actually solved a tracking issue on my behalf. I always have to contact the merchant and hope they're honest and they always have been for me.

So I have no idea about a so called advertiser quality department.

Recently I had an issue with a commission reversal. When I contacted CJ, they told me they had no idea about it and to contact the merchant.

1 year ago, I had a click track but not the sale. I knew the person who made the sale, so I ahd all the order info. When I contacted CJ, they told me to contact the merchant.

Obviously I the only way to prove the sale, was to show evidence of the click tracking and corresponding order information.

So maybe CJ's quality department took a siesta that day.

In another post you ranted and raved that a longtime ABWer always criticizes CJ and that all of us who have problems with CJ's tactics, that we drank to much of the koolade.

My friend, maybe you're one of a few who actually have witnessed CJ in a good light but you are definitely misguided on the issues.

15 years and counting
    I think that if jclaydon was making a living as an affiliate instead of sitting in his cubicle listening to CJ koolaid he would have an other vision of affiliate marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I think that if jclaydon was making a living as an affiliate instead of sitting in his cubicle listening to CJ koolaid he would have an other vision of affiliate marketing.
    Amen!

Lmao Zeus, to funny,

the newbie sure has no idea about what happens when you contact CJ about issues like this

[QUOTE=bibby]
    Quote Originally Posted by jclaydon
    The network controls the clicks, not the merchant. Assuming the sale was credited to another affiliate, CJ should have a record of this. Contact CJ with the Order ID of the sale, and they will look into it.

You've been CJ's greatest fan today. I like many affiliates have contacted CJ with tracking issues and commission problems. They always refer me to the merchant.

CJ has never actually solved a tracking issue on my behalf. I always have to contact the merchant and hope they're honest and they always have been for me.

So I have no idea about a so called advertiser quality department.

Recently I had an issue with a commission reversal. When I contacted CJ, they told me they had no idea about it and to contact the merchant.

1 year ago, I had a click track but not the sale. I knew the person who made the sale, so I ahd all the order info. When I contacted CJ, they told me to contact the merchant.

Obviously I the only way to prove the sale, was to show evidence of the click tracking and corresponding order information.

So maybe CJ's quality department took a siesta that day.

In another post you ranted and raved that a longtime ABWer always criticizes CJ and that all of us who have problems with CJ's tactics, that we drank to much of the koolade.

My friend, maybe you're one of a few who actually have witnessed CJ in a good light but you are definitely misguided on the issues.

CJ's first step in the situations is to have you contact the merchant directly. If the sale didn't track due to cookie issues and the pixel not being displayed, the merchant should look into it for you and credit you appropriately. It sounds like you've had these situations resolved in the past, so things worked out right?

Tracking issues exist in every single network. CJ is the only one to my knowledge that will actually charge an advertiser if they do something like remove their tracking pixel from confirmation pages etc.
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

CJ's first step in the situations is to have you contact the merchant directly. If the sale didn't track due to cookie issues and the pixel not being displayed, the merchant should look into it for you and credit you appropriately. It sounds like you've had these situations resolved in the past, so things worked out right?

Tracking issues exist in every single network. CJ is the only one to my knowledge that will actually charge an advertiser if they do something like remove their tracking pixel from confirmation pages etc.
    You don't get it! In the second scenario that I outlined, there was actually more to it.
    After CJ told me to contact the mertchant I did. 4 times and never heard a response. I then asked CJ to contact the merchant directly on my behalf. They then told em it was an issue between me and the merchant....so I contacted the General Manager of the Merchant and he got the ball rolling.

CJ never helped, didn't provide an issue and claimed ingnorance in the issue. There's no quality control in my opinion...Well maybe if you're a Super Affilaite or Super Merchant.

Ask hundreds of affilaites who've dumped them. They will tell you the same thing.

But you tell us soemthing else, that we've enver experienced.

Why are you acting as the mascot for CJ?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby
    He does come across the official CJ rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketfuel
    A friend of mine was looking for some hosting services and i refered them to hostgator with my affiliate link as they seemed to offer some pretty good services at a good price.My friend pasted the correct CJ tracking link right into Internet explorer and landed on hostgator and signed up and paid for it right away.

The clicks tracked but the commission did not so i emailed hostgator to explain the situation.

There responce was that my friend had clicked a link on a template site and that the last cookie won the sale, I replied to them stating that this would not be possible as they pasted my link right into IE and signed up right away so i would have been the last cookie.
    Maybe I am reading this wrong, but...

If you friend pasted your affiliate link on the browser address, even if it's the correct CJ tracking link, then the referral that they will see may look suspicious, because there would not be any site referral to that actual affiliate link...

I know that it may not make any difference as long as the affiliate link have the correct CJ tracking link, but maybe they want to know where that link came from...

Other than that, I don't know...

You don't get it! In the second scenario that I outlined, there was actually more to it.
    After CJ told me to contact the mertchant I did. 4 times and never heard a response. I then asked CJ to contact the merchant directly on my behalf. They then told em it was an issue between me and the merchant....so I contacted the General Manager of the Merchant and he got the ball rolling.

CJ never helped, didn't provide an issue and claimed ingnorance in the issue. There's no quality control in my opinion...Well maybe if you're a Super Affilaite or Super Merchant.

Ask hundreds of affilaites who've dumped them. They will tell you the same thing.

But you tell us soemthing else, that we've enver experienced.

CJ Merchants have a section in their contract that calls for fees to be calculated if tracking ever goes down. There is a department that will asses and subsequently charge anyone when it happens. They also investigate issues when numerous claims about missing transactions come in to ensure pixels are firing properly etc. They have just as much interest in assuring that as many sales are tracked as possible because they are paid, just like you, on a sale.

Who was the merchant?

I'm not going to out the merchant here as I resolved the issue with them. This is not the point of my disagreement here.

My POINT is that while you claim CJ has safeguards, my point is that CJ should be working on my behalf to resolve tracking and sales issues imemdiately and not waiting for scores of affilaites complaining about the same issue.

The whole idea about customer service and quality control would be to help an affilaite when they claim there's a problem.

For many affilaites, they enver receive this courtesy and customer service and have to investigate the issue themselves.

That's not quality control. Rather it's a who cares attitude.

I have no doubt that if I was earning $10,000 in commissions a month, CJ would be quick to provide me with quality control.

My POINT is that while you claim CJ has safeguards, my point is that CJ should be working on my behalf to resolve tracking and sales issues imemdiately and not waiting for scores of affilaites complaining about the same issue.

I have no doubt that if I was earning $10,000 in commissions a month, CJ would be quick to provide me with quality control.

Any good merchant will go head over heals to make sure you are credited for every sale you've generated.

The reality is that from a business perspective it isn't in CJ's best interest to spend hundreds of man hours investigating missing transactions. They will take steps if it is a larger issue - there have been a number of merchants that were removed from CJ for reversing gross amounts of sales or not being able to fix down tracking.

Any good merchant will go head over heals to make sure you are credited for every sale you've generated.

The reality is that from a business perspective it isn't in CJ's best interest to spend hundreds of man hours investigating missing transactions. They will take steps if it is a larger issue - there have been a number of merchants that were removed from CJ for reversing gross amounts of sales or not being able to fix down tracking.

It's obvious you're a CJ employee, right?

Maybe a program manager for Real Network.

It's obvious you're a CJ employee, right?

Maybe a program manager for Real Network.
    Was, for close to three years. I'm happy to provide any insight that I can though.

cookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Maybe I am reading this wrong, but...

If you friend pasted your affiliate link on the browser address, even if it's the correct CJ tracking link, then the referral that they will see may look suspicious, because there would not be any site referral to that actual affiliate link...

I know that it may not make any difference as long as the affiliate link have the correct CJ tracking link, but maybe they want to know where that link came from...

Other than that, I don't know...

ok, im another newb who 'have seen this cat passing by a second ago'

you said that you had last cookie, but from what i know, the initial cookie matters, not last, so if your friend visited that b4, under another link, his computer was pregnant with another baby, not with yours.

you should 've been told your friend to clear cookies b4 accessing the site under your link.

i also had a similar situation, i clear my friend computer's cookies before ( with my hands) ,i left his home arrived my home send him the link ( it was an amazon link) , he bought, and after that nothing in my comissions at amazon.

it happens even when you DO TAKE precautions.

take care

Quote Originally Posted by 3cent
    you said that you had last cookie, but from what i know, the initial cookie matters, not last, so if your friend visited that b4, under another link, his computer was pregnant with another baby, not with yours.
    The standard is last cookie wins. There are a few merchants that credit the first cookie and probably a few other convoluted payment schemes, but the overwhelming majority of merchants credit the last cookie.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I signed up a client of mine for HostGator by clicking on my link on my own site and DID NOT receive any commission for it. I think they randomize their pixel so they only have to give a commission for 1 out of every 10 actual sales. Just a WAG, but it's the only thing I could come up with.

ABW Ambassador
    Hostgator doesn't credit you for self referrals.

I have been promoting HostGator for at least 3 years and have never had an issue with their service as a host or in getting credit for referrals - both through their self hosted affiliate program or through CJ.

Rather than having your friend copy and past a link straight into IE, why not promote the program on a site and direct your friend to that site to click through. It will make things more accurate all around.

Quote Originally Posted by keystrokes
    I have been promoting HostGator for at least 3 years and have never had an issue with their service as a host or in getting credit for referrals - both through their self hosted affiliate program or through CJ.

Rather than having your friend copy and past a link straight into IE, why not promote the program on a site and direct your friend to that site to click through. It will make things more accurate all around.
    That's the way it should be!

Ok firstly, it was not a self referal, i refered a friend of mine.
    Secondly, i have been an affiliate for many years and tracking works perfectly fine by pasting the correct part of the cj tracking code into IE (tried and tested) and finally i almost always test a merchant before jumping in boots and all to promote them, to often you can be burnt if you are not cautious (better to be safe than sorry) I also tried a second test purchase which did not track either, both times clicks tracked and sales did not, so be it at your own peril if you wish to promote them, i surely wont be!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Rocketfuel, have your friend cancel the hosting service and use another where you get credit. The merchant determines the commission and the network only gets involved if there is a clear violation of the agreement. Always file the complaint with the network so there is documention.

Feel free to contact me as I have a merchant that pays a life time value commission on annual hosting and I will see to it that you get the commission. If an affiliate tells me they have not been credited with a sale and has the order information you can be damn sure I manually add it.

i have read a lot of similar stories like this about Hostgator. Since they have strong affiliate partners through hosting review websites, i think they don't care any kind of issues.

The weird thing is there are so many complaints about them but they are still so popular, especially in web hosting forums. Who ever post a message and ask an affiliate program to promote, answer is always same: hostgator...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast