I got bit!!!!
    Seems I have 3 feral kittens living under my deck.
    My dogs found 2 of them cowering under the grill this morning and so I got the dogs back in the house right away.
    Well one of the kittens (they are like 7-8 weeks old) ran up the tree.
    Then he fell out of the tree, right on his back. I went to see if he was ok, obviously dazed from the fall, I picked him up gently and he bit me!
    I know, I know...my fault completely!
    So I got a tetanus shot, and animal control came out and set traps to catch him and hold him for observation for rabies.
    Here's my question...do I get him back after the hold is over if he is ok?
    And what am I going to do with him if I do get him back?
    What do you do with 3 feral kittens?
    No recipes please.
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

Affiliate Manager
    Sorry to hear about the kitten falling out of the tree and you getting bitten. Call animal control to see if you get him back. I have always heard wild kittens are very hard to tame.

Oh, I don't want them back. The dogs will probably kill them.
    I don't want them euthanized though.
    Could I take them to a barn that has other cats? Or would the other cats not let them join?
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

Affiliate Manager
    If you have farmers with barn cats, the farmer might take him. A lot of farmers like to have cats to keep the rodent population under control. The cats may fight but they usually work it out.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    If you get them back, try posting it on craigslist. But just watch out for those kids or vet those people contacting you.

You can also bring it to a no kill shelter and it would be easier for them to get a good home cos they are still small and cute. Older cats and dogs have issues going to a good home or being adopted...

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowCooker
    If you have farmers with barn cats, the farmer might take him. A lot of farmers like to have cats to keep the rodent population under control. The cats may fight but they usually work it out.
    Ditto.......

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    You really don't want to have animals like this around unless they have their rabies shots - giving them to a farmer will just create a hazard as he/she will probably not bother with shots. They eat other animals or partially eaten animals that could have been visited by a rabid animal. We just had a scare with a kitten that was very weak and sick and bit my daughter - we had the kitten killed and tested for rabies. Fortunately it did not have them but before we found out the test results our daughter got a high fever - what a scare! Once rabies sets in it is a death sentence.
    55,000 people die each year due to rabies, mostly in undeveloped countries where dogs are kept with no shots. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs099/en/ So kids handle the food dishes that a rabid animal eats from and can get the disease - that is the danger of keeping carnivorous pets without shots - the constant contact.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    What do you do with 3 feral kittens?
    No recipes please.
    superCool thought it was kind of funny that the next reply was from SlowCooker....mmmmm slow cooked kitten

Dwight Schrute would probably take them off your hands. He has a nice beet farm and enjoys a good feral cat.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Our new kitty, Benny, was rescued from a tree and absolutely feral but he is the sweetest little guy ever. He's a little wild man for sure, fearless and fun but he can't give enough kisses and he's so loving and very much loved. Feral kittens are still babies and depending on how they're treated, they will adapt and be wonderful companions and family pets.

He bit you because he fell onto his back which had to have hurt him a great deal. Poor little guy. :-( And I'm sorry you got a Tetanus shot over this. That'll do you more harm than the bite. :-(
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I have some relatives that have the same exact "kitten problem." However, their kittens live under an old car they keep at the back end of their property! I haven't been bitten though....at least not yet

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread