WordPress And PayPal?
    Good God! I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I'm about to test the merchant waters out. (I think I just wet myself. Where's that fainting smiley? Oh there it is!)

Sooooo after looking until my eyeballs have bled, I'm wondering if there's some way to mod Wordpress out with a shopping cart. That way, I can match it to the rest of my site easily and if I change templates, I'll be good to go. I'm going to be using PayPal to start with.

Any suggestions cuz I'm WAAAAY outta my depth at the moment?

*toddles off to look for the *
    Last edited by kayecee; August 14th, 2009 at 04:55 PM.

BTW I've found a plugin called WP e-commerce... has anyone had any experience with it?

I've seen quite a bit of information on that plug-in on the wordpress forum. They can get awfully technical sometimes, but it's a resource to consider.

kayecee, superCool is interested in this too and posted a topic several weeks ago, but alas, no news for superCool. WP e-commerce looks pretty cool. there are some example sites on the website that look pretty good. if you try it please let superCool know how it goes. superCool will do the same.

jkgourmet.... thanks.. I'll peek over there.... *gets out purple crayons to decipher all the geek speak*

Supercool.... the KayeCee downloaded it last night and so far the KayeCee likes.... the KayeCee knows that PayPal has some of the same features, but the KayeCee likes the inventory control... the KayeCee is concerned with some display things, but the KayeCee is working on it.... the KayeCee will let you know which way the KayeCee goes....

superCool likes the way the KayeCee talks

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by kayecee
    BTW I've found a plugin called WP e-commerce... has anyone had any experience with it?
    On my neverending search for a theme was checking out http://shoppingthemes.com/ and saw a theme for that WP e-commerce plugin so it seems to be a pretty popular one.

I've used wp ecommerce on a very small, almost abandoned site/idea. It was relatively painless to setup, but it depends on what your plans are. If you are doing a few items, in a very tight niche, then it would be fine. If you looking at a hundred products or more that cross several categories, its probably best to look into a real shopping cart.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    I'm in process of setting up a site using wp ecommerce for my images. I've experienced a couple of minor issues which were resolved by searching through the wp ecommerce forums and needed an alteration to the php code within the template files.

Also noted a conflict with one of the site contact forms which caused the image enlargement pop up thing to malfunction. Now using wp contact form III with Really Simple CAPTCHA which seems to have cured the conflict.

130 odd products added so far without any issues.

View site here if you so desire. (non affiliate site)

http and a telephoto
    Guffy that looks quite slick And a lot easier than something I have been trying to set up. Kayecee, that might just work! Guffy, do you manually send the purchased files?

The only thing I worry about is scalability, some people might start slow with it then after a few months of adding products find out they have outgrown it? I'll take a closer look and see if it does google base or other feeds.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Loxly. Thanks.

The store is new and only just live. No sales made yet but worked a dream in PayPal Sandbox
    I have it set to give downloads after payment direct from store. Also sends follow up e-mail to customer with download links and terms etc. Can also limit number of download attempts per customer and lock to IP address if required.

Has the following price and stock control options.

Do not include tax (tax is set in shop config)
    This is a donation only show it in the donations widget
    Does not use Shipping
    Special / Sale Price
    Table Rate Price
    Limited number of this item in stock

Ability to set the following shipping details.

Weight
    Local Shipping Fee
    International Shipping Fee

It doesn't appear to have facility for data feeds inbuilt. I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure you could pull a feed from the mysql tables if you know what your doing.

ABW Ambassador
    some people might start slow with it then after a few months of adding products find out they have outgrown it
    If someone is thinking of opening an affiliate program sometime in the future it may well be worth checking with third party providers if the script is compatible with their systems. I have seen reports that at least one person has made the wp ecommerce work with the JROX Affiliate Manager.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread