Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Houston TX
    Colonial Bank failed; 4 other banks too
    SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Colonial BancGroup Inc. became the largest bank failure this year after the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation seized the struggling Alabama-based lender Friday and sold it to BB&T Corp.

Late Friday, the FDIC announced four other banks had been closed: Community Bank of Las Vegas and its Arizona subsidiary, Community Bank of Arizona; Union Bank, Gilbert, Ariz; and Dwelling House Savings and Loan, Pittsburgh.

The Colonial BancGroup deal will knock roughly $2.8 billion off a pool of money, known as the Deposit Insurance Fund, which the FDIC maintains to guarantee bank customer deposits.

Stay tuned, I am sure that there is more to come. I know the economy is improving but it is not the end of it. So hang tight.

Here are some sobering facts:

- 91 banks failed since Sept 25, 2008 when WAMU first fell.
    (avg 8 banks failed every month)

- 40 banks failed from Oct 13, 2000 to Sept 24, 2008.
    (about avg 5 banks per year)

Come to Australia 'We are out of Recession'

Columbia, SC
    I would love too!!!

We are not even close to out of a recession. The month of June was the high foreclosure rate in history. We are on pace for 1,000,000 foreclosures in 12 weeks

You know, besides one of my neighboring states (California) we also seem to be looking upward; at least for now...

Who really knows? It is so hard to keep track of all of this recession stuff. Does anybody REALLY know a remedy to all of the financial problems we have gotten ourselves into?

If so, and if it is not too POLITICAL, I would love to hear about it.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread