Bing THIS !!!
    I have a some PPC deals cooking on Bing ... so I go do some Bing surfing to see who is what and where ... and what do my wandering eyes see ... BING CASHBACK everywhere ... for the merchants I am promoting, EBAY and just about every parasite on the planet.

WTF !!! I have some pretty high priced Keywords for some golf products that used to consistently sell off of MicroSlut ... since Bing, the sales have
    been zippo ... Wonder why. Duh, BING CASH BACK if you buy thru Bing links.
    You get a bit better price than the merchant gives them IF I send them the traffic

Seems to me, paying MicroSlut a PPC is now just like donating to the ultimate black hole of PPC keywords. So, I paused all the PPC deals, save one that even the BING cashback can't beat ... but I lowered the amount big time.

So, if you are doing the only PPC deal on Bing the MicroSlut, you might want to go look and see for yourself.

Seems to me you don't want to pay for clicks when the search engine is acting as an affiliate for the exact same merchants at your expense.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    *Checks*

I only see that blight (it's blight for affiliates, at least) in Bing Shopping, not their regular engine...

And looking at their FAQ, they've had this for a while, only before it was called Live Search Cashback.

Still, I agree that their conversion ratio sucks in a big way. I get decent traffic from their organic listings, but it indeed doesn't convert worth a darn. I figured their TV ads had drawn a bunch of tire-kickers, but maybe too many people are finding that cashback thing now that they put it in with their shopping pages.
    Last edited by Leader; August 17th, 2009 at 09:25 AM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

It's in the regular search depending on the keyword ... if it's a product the Bing cashback will be attached to the top PPC ad and on the side. It's hooked to every
    big time traffic word relative to ebay higher ticket sales.

The SEO links are not effected except, people for sure are going to check YOUR offer against the BING CASH BACK.

But the real kicker is that when people go to YOUR site from either the SEO or PPC, a
    little box appears that offers them the BING CASHBACK if they put in their name and email ... sayonara cookie.

Here's how to check it out ... go to Bing ... start typing in product names and see for your self ... type in putters for example - then click on the first SEO link and a couple of PPC links and watch what happens ...

I don't know if the CASHBACK cookie cruncher is universal but it sure shows up when you click on specific product links.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Oh...now I see it...they have indeed stepped into at least one of my categories. Fortunately, the competing offers that appear on the term I checked aren't all that great anyway. "Cheap at twice the price" minus 5% is still a ripoff

I didn't get the little box, though. Maybe it only happens if the person is logged in or if they click a listing/ad that's offering the cashback.

Even so, I won't get excited about SEOing up a high position on that engine anymore. A #1 won't help with THAT sitting on top of it! At least, not unless I can beat those offers.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

It seems the little register for cashback pops up when you click a link tied to the cashback. They say they only want your name and email addy once though.

Hmmm... you can get 12% cashback off EBAY stuff ... I wonder how that works since the links go to keyworded auctions ... if you get 12% cashback when you buy off EBAY, does M$$ get the juice as an EBAY affiliate? If so, that means the juice has to be in the 20% range.

This stuff is getting to be real interesting. As an affiliate, I guess you can make up the losses with volume.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    MS has every right to monetize their site in any fashion that they can....

Am I right N4B?

In the midst of all of these millions being spent on advertising, I'm seeing a little bump from Live & Bing, but nothing to be concerned about as far as organic search goes.

I know you are a PPC wiz and that your concerns lie there, but there are so many more options out there with a better ROI, that Bing's attempts to rule the world in are a MOOT point!

If they want to alienate the affiliates out there and take the cash themselves, then I would just avoid them.

That will hit them where it counts. $$$$

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

I have no problem with MSN monetizing anything ... just say so upfront. I am not a happy camper paying for traffic and then have it hijacked by the guys I am paying to bring me the traffic.

If they want to go that route, great ... but before I stick anymore PPC keywords up at REAL money per click, I think I will just click on all the merchants who show up at the top and on the side ... now I don't want to buy anything, but I sure want to know if they are doing the cashback dance at my expense - especially if I am one of their affiliates.

Two can play the run up the advertising money game.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    I have no problem with MSN monetizing anything ... just say so upfront. I am not a happy camper paying for traffic and then have it hijacked by the guys I am paying to bring me the traffic.
    That's a kick in the cahones.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Thanks for this notice. Good to know.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Affiliate Manager
    Hi guys,
    I think the way it works is the following:

Merchants still pay their regular PPC. However, they can opt-in to be included in Bing cashback. Bing then turns around and uses some of the money they earn via PPC from the merchant to fund the cashback. The merchant doesn't pay a commission to Bing, rather "only" the "regular" PPC costs.

The benefit to Bing and the drawback to the merchant is obviously that customers are more inclined to keep coming back through Bing than going directly to the merchant's site because of this cashback.

Bing is essentially trying to become another ebates of the world, but be funded through PPC costs, not affiliate commissions.
    Thomas Burgemeister - Affiliate Manager
    affiliates@LensWorld.com - 425-372-3471
    LensWorld.com: 10% commission, 120 return days, parasite free - Sign up at <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=20626">ShareASale</a>.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Burgemeister
    ... Bing is essentially trying to become another ebates of the world, but be funded through PPC costs, not affiliate commissions.
    In the end, if they overwrite my affiliate cookie they are my competitor. I stopped using them when I learned about the live cash back program.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    In the end, if they overwrite my affiliate cookie they are my competitor. I stopped using them when I learned about the live cash back program.

I don't think that they overwrite your cookie though.
    Merchants install a Bing pixel on the order confirmation page (just like they do when implementing ShareASale or CJ, etc) and that's how Bing tracks the order.

However, if there is an affiliate cookie active as well, the affiliate pixel should fire and the affiliate should also get credit.

The merchant then might cancel the order for either Bing or the affiliate because of this double-dipping, but both pixels should have fired originally.

(Note that LensWorld is not part of the Bing Cashback program)
    Thomas Burgemeister - Affiliate Manager
    affiliates@LensWorld.com - 425-372-3471
    LensWorld.com: 10% commission, 120 return days, parasite free - Sign up at <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=20626">ShareASale</a>.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread