ABW Ambassador
    The hardest part of all of this so far is waiting. Google seo has changed, and so has yahoo. Can anyone recommend good ways to get traffic other than seo? I still want to persue that road, but while I wait, what is good?

PPC seems too expensive to low priced items. Does reciprocal linking make a big impact? Should I find similar sites that aren't competition and advertise on their sites?

What are some good ways to start bringing in the traffic?

It seems like making a decent site with good products and linking them all up isn't the hard part, but bringing in the numbers to convert is what truly is challenging.

Any thoughts?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    There are zillions of ways to generate traffic. I enjoy looking through www.trafficology.com , sometimes their suggestions are a reach, but every once in a while I get an idea from them.

My wife sells items on eBay, I always make sure to include business cards for some of my sites in the boxes when she ships. I pass out pens with my urls on them. I trade business cards all the time. I have a box of flyers in my trunk, which I pin up on bulletin boards when I am in the mood. I attend chamber of commerce meetings and pass out business cards - and I always follow up with other who give me theirs as well. I advertise in newspapers, trade magazines and at other sites online ( not just PPC, but at specific sites ). I willingly trade links almost every day. I am active on 3 or 4 forums other than ABW, and I have my url in my profile at those places.

The key, I think, is to look at all the different interactions you have in your life, and decide which ones of them are opportunities where you can draw in some traffic.

I am not obnoxious about it, and I do not let it interfere with enjoying my life, but I promote my sites in zillions of different, little ways.

Still, it would be much easier on me if Google would just bend to my will and obey my every whim. I'm still working on that.

- - - - - - - - -
    I will FOCUS on my goal, and I shall NOT be denied.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks, that's a great start right there. I'll check out that site and see how it goes. Also, let me know when google bends to your every whim. I think we'll all be going to you for traffic at that point.

Elbocreek makes some great suggestions! Another thing that works for me is I've had a bunch of magnetic signs made up with my URL and a slogan and handed them out to family members to put on their cars/trucks. Since I have family members in several different cities I get great exposure. They advertise for me as they drive! The cost of the signs is real affordable.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I've mentioned this before, but it is worth repeating, I've had a lot of success getting extra content for my sites by placing a free ad at www.freelancewriting.com . Just pick a topic you need, and offer a one time payment, say $25-$50, and you will be inundated with submissions from which to choose.

A nice side effect is that you end up with one or more inbound links to your site, plus you get several hundred hits from writers or people interested in that topic

- - - - - - - - -
    I will FOCUS on my goal, and I shall NOT be denied.

Elbowcreek, as usual, is right on target. EC - you just gave away about six hours worth of consulting!

In a nutshell, be creative. The technology may be new, but some old-fashion methods still work!

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    One 'different' thing I've done is get a vanity plate for my car with the name of one of my domains.

The good news is...once in a while someone asks me or my husband what the name means.

The bad news is...people tailgate me trying to read what it says on my license plate! lol!

BradleyB, did you buy your signs online or at a brick and mortar sign store?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>BradleyB, did you buy your signs online or at a brick and mortar sign store?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had them made at a brick and mortar store. If you live in or near a big city you can find a bunch of sign shops. I just put together a design (with colors) that I liked and went shopping in the yellow pages. These shops can put together a graphic example of what the sign will look like (for your approval) before they make them. Prices go up depending on the size of sign you want of course.

Thanks Elbowcreek for all the great tips!!

Brad

Elbowcreek, that's excellent advice. There is something else I have accidentally come accross. At Google, I was running a search "trying to find my site", when I typed in the (heading line) on the page and not the Page Title, by mistake, and voila! there I was (the only site to pop up). Then I searched for those words and was surprised to find that many searches occur for those two terms and my site was #5 on the 1st page.

I have since made those my keywords as well. I have also been pleasantly surprised that out of over 2 million or so sites, for one of my other keywords, I rank #2 with Google on the 1st page - I don't even know how that happened. I even find me at Yahoo #11 on page One For some reason (and not SEO yet), my site ranks more often than not on the first or second page of a lot of engines, it's amazing, and my rank keeps going up at Alexa. Now all I have to do is generate that into sales. I'm gearing up for a battle.

Also, bpal, you could send out thank you cards to your more promising prospects you have been in contact with. BradleyB, that's a good idea too, and you can get from VistaPrint.com some small enough to go on a fridge or something.

Oh, I almost forgot! A good way to create traffic online is when you post at reputable forums, include your url with the http: at the end of your post as threads with good traffic get spidered often because their content changes.

As Elbowcreek said, there's a zillion ways to get traffic. If I find out any other ways bpal, I'll let you know. Got some good ideas from this thread, hope I contributed.

backspace thanks you.
    http://www.decorgifts.net

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread