More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    This is Not For Everybody
    Your friend or relative just lost a job, or wants a side income. They want to sit down with you and learn how to make money on the internet "like you do". So you spend a half day of your time introducing them, perhaps even another half day setting up a site. You give them resources and info to start them off.

Weeks and months later. They have not touched the site - the same site you started them out with sits there. Oh well.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I think there is a mis-conception among non-affiliate folks that making money on the internet "like you do" is something that happens during one afternoon. The next day, they should see the fruits from that one afternoon. When there isn't that big load of internet cash the next day, they lose interest.

ABW Ambassador

Sure, all you need to do is press a few buttons and the money comes rolling in..
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Your friend or relative just lost a job, or wants a side income. They want to sit down with you and learn how to make money on the internet "like you do". So you spend a half day of your time introducing them, perhaps even another half day setting up a site. You give them resources and info to start them off.

Weeks and months later. They have not touched the site - the same site you started them out with sits there. Oh well.
    I've probably set up 20 of my friends with all of the tools they needed, including web sites over the years and not ONE of them has done squat with them.

Everyone thinks I sit around with my thumb up my rump and the cash just appears in the mailbox.

Once they find out that it takes lot's of hard work, dedication and 16 hours a day, they run for the hills.

I feel your pain Cheese.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Actually, I had my first site up in 2 days, and was earning a profit by day 3...

It can be done..

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmMe
    Actually, I had my first site up in 2 days, and was earning a profit by day 3...

It can be done..
    PPC will allow anyone to get set up in minutes....

But it takes a Pro to make REAL CASH in the PPC field.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the thread Cheesehead. It's nice to hear that I am not alone. I guess our friends and relatives don't really know what we are giving them when we spend those afternoons with them. Two weeks ago, I set up my brother inlaw with a keyword optimised wordpress blog, showed him how to research merchants, keywords and traffic trends. I sent him a short list of the very best article directories (it has taken me many months to wittle it down) and I even wrote his first article for his first campaign. I condensed 7 years of experience into 3 hours. Two weeks later and nothing... Would I be a bad person for scooping the great campaign that I helped research? I would love to show him what he passed-up.

I clicked a link for some classroom thing and was amazed at the bull pucky I heard ... I set up a site in 20 hours and made $352K - just cut and paste my technique yadda yadda ... horse hockey. It's crap like that that makes these people all the money, fast talk, tons of up sell, mirrors and a fog machine. It's a crying shame the misinformation and malarkey that's out there.

And NO, this industry isn't for everyone - It's hard work.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

It is their loss.

I do think it makes a difference whether they are doing this for additional income or if they lost a job and don't have any other source for income.

Either way, I wouldn't feel bad about it because you tried. If the site just sits there and you know they haven't touched it, ask if they have questions. Perhaps they tried and couldn't make heads or tails, are too busy, or just simply lazy. If they are just lazy, I would take it and develop it for myself. If they are unemployed, just sitting there doing nuttin, waching tv, then I wouldn't bother. Time wasted.

edit: spelling

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread