Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Do You Have a PR6 or stronger home page?
    I have an idea I'd like to propose.

But first I'd like to get an idea how many of you have strong websites. How many of you have PR6 home pages or stronger?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    If I add 6 of my PR1 sites up, I have a PR6.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Heh. Not quite what I'm looking for : )

he-he...I need to add +1 to several of mine to get to a 6. Three of them used to be a 6 but have been eclipsed by others (I suppose) and downgraded by the Big G to PR 5s.

However, I don't put much "faith" in PR any longer. One site that was a 6 has been expanded/updated and lost one rank. It has been online many years and has inbound links from some "other" sites - like the State of Maryland, University of Maryland, Baltimore Airport - to name a few of several hundred. Even though it was downgraded about a year ago it is still my single most profitable site. ...go figure...

Another one, my second "best" has over 1000 pages of content and several hundred original photos - yet that was also downgraded - and will still (somehow manage to) attract a couple million unique visitors this year.

So, I'll just muddle along and try to provide interesting pages for our readers - and NOT WORRY about what PR is being assessed.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

7. what's the idea?
    Jason
    [url=http://www.bhphoto.com/]B&H Photo[/url] :|: [url=http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/affiliates.jsp]Join Our Affiliate Program[/url] :|: [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2478435]Join on CJ[/URL]
    email: Jasonn at BHphoto.com

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    ROFL.

If you add them together and multiple by your other PR2 sites, carry the one...you have a PR929,091 site!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

http and a telephoto
    PR is useless. I had PR8-9 sites that had no traffic. Sure they were spidered constantly but they got less traffic than PR 2-3 sites and converted waaaaay lower.

Sculpting PR and passing it around only works if your sites are truly related and there are no reciprocal links. PR is also losely value as social media sends more visitors than the big G does. I have several sites getting more (converting) traffic from Twitter than they are getting from the SEs.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    PR is useless. I had PR8-9 sites that had no traffic. Sure they were spidered constantly but they got less traffic than PR 2-3 sites and converted waaaaay lower.

Sculpting PR and passing it around only works if your sites are truly related and there are no reciprocal links. PR is also losely value as social media sends more visitors than the big G does. I have several sites getting more (converting) traffic from Twitter than they are getting from the SEs.
    Gotta agree with Loxly on this. The two sites I mentioned above get less than half their traffic from the Big G. I also have one niche site that receives over 1000 unique visitors per day (this month is averaging 1200+). Those visitors are looking at an average of 8 pages and hanging around for nearly 5 minutes. It has a PR of ZERO and (therefore?) only gets 25% of its visitors from G. But it also shows me that the other search engines still have some major impact. Funny thing is that it is one of my better AdSense producers.

So, Howard, what is it that you have in mind? Not, as loxly says, "sculpting PR?"
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I want to get a group to strong sites together to provide relevant content for each other. The strongest inbound links are those found within content. While PR may be overated for some purposes G apparently places some value on sites or would absolutely disregard the ranking.

If you could get an inbound relevant link from a PR4 or PR8 site which would you choose?

Anyway, there are lots of people here with strong websites. I figured it would make sense to help each other strengthen our sites even more by seeing if there is any synergy between demographics and provide content with inbedded links for each other. We'd all get fresh content relevent to our demographic and in return we'd get some great inbound links.

Anyone interested?

http and a telephoto
    Sculpting PR is actually you doing it yourself within your own site, just to clarify.

If you could get an inbound relevant link from a PR4 or PR8 site which would you choose?
    The one that has more traffic and eyeballs. I want visitors, not PR passed. But that's just me
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I have to agree with loxly.

There are people here that have strong websites but they may not be relevant to your niche. Rather than posting on a forum, I would contact individual webmasters by looking at their sites and see if any would be in your vertical or even related. I had one webmaster approach me this way and I am sure they did it with many other webmasters. It wasn't a reciprocal link it was a paid link. I said no since they were also an affiliate site. That site is doing well I might say in the SERPs. PR is only important if you want to sell ad space and you can tout that as a medal to get more $ for ads.

What if I told you I had a site PR 7 related to devil worshipping? Would you accept me?

Just kidding.

I also like traffic. And I do everything I can to get it. That includes getting as much relevant content on strong sites pointing towards me as the authority. If the site has lots of traffic and strong PR that's a home run.

As I said, if anyone is interested in the concept, please do let me know.

Interestingly enough, Wil Reynolds just tweeted this page about how Google finds paid links:

http://www.seounique.com/blog/how-go...ds-paid-links/

Point 7 says:
    7. Looking for Page Rank – It is true, people still search the high seas looking for page rank, alas this will do no good. Content and site relevance plays more of an important role these days than page rank in terms of obtaining high quality links. If a new website suddenly gets 10 page rank 5,6 and 7 links pointing to it then I fear its life in the Google index will be short lived.

At the end of the day as you can see trying to create a paid links strategy is a long, time consuming process which does hold risk. If you get away with it, you’ll achieve great rankings (which many top websites do) but the more rewarding ethical method is of course to create a linkable website with valuable content. Google will undoubtedly have 101 other paid link identifiers in their algorithm, plus they already have the option to report paid links in the Google webmaster console. If a linking opportunity arises be sure that you are within the Google guidelines to be safe.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

hmmm I have a website that is pr1 but really what is a pr? seeing that my link is valid and no one on the earth uses that domain but me I never get the whole pr thingy having pr 1 doesn't really mean anything if no one looks for you lol or me
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

Michael I couldn't look at the site, gave me an error. Maybe because it got so many hits and server is down or it's just blocking me. But will try again later.

This is also a good read on Google patents and backlinks and how they count. It's very loooong so I usually read a few pages before bed and it doesn't take long before I am fast asleep... lol but very informative. Feel free to take out the hotlink if it's faux pas.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3963005.htm

Quote Originally Posted by snappy
    hmmm I have a website that is pr1 but really what is a pr? seeing that my link is valid and no one on the earth uses that domain but me I never get the whole pr thingy having pr 1 doesn't really mean anything if no one looks for you lol or me
    PR is an imaginary number. Just like most of the ones MBA's use to calculate company worth and stock value.

As for Page Rank Sculpting (also known as siloing in some cases), I can't recommend AGAINST it enough.

When I took the job I currently have, our company's website was siloed by the use of "nofollow" tags. The end result was a homepage that ranked highly for WAY too many terms, and we were unable to get clicks from Google because the description of that page couldn't possibly speak to as wide an audience as the page was ranked for.

So I dismantled all that, killed all the siloing, and our natural traffic shot through the roof.

I suppose there are better ways to silo (multiple pages, etc etc), but I'd rather rely on true human behavior to drive traffic. It's worked for us so far.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I can't help but agree with Loxly.
    The more I pay attention to PR, the less I care for it.
    I have noticed sites jump 3 (!) points in one day only to return to their previous ranking the next.
    Jason
    [url=http://www.bhphoto.com/]B&H Photo[/url] :|: [url=http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/affiliates.jsp]Join Our Affiliate Program[/url] :|: [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2478435]Join on CJ[/URL]
    email: Jasonn at BHphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin

So I dismantled all that, killed all the siloing, and our natural traffic shot through the roof.
    Wow, awesome Kevin!

I learned a new word today, siloing. I never heard that before regarding to PR sculpting. Thanks!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Relevant Content, Relevant Links Out, Relevant Links In, Basic 1998 SEO of title tags H1 H2 link-anchor-text, and Most Importantly Value to Visitor

That's all you need to know about SEO.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Anyone remember Bob Massa ?

Any threads related to getting traffic from twitter? Traffic that converts that is. Any traffic I get from social media converts very poorly, if not at all.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread