I am geekgirl. I manage the bonsaiboy and irishelegance programs on cj and shareasale. I have more time now to devote to making these programs better and more appealing to affiliates. What do you recommend?

I have product data feeds for both. How can I format it for your needs?

If there are any affiliates of bbny/irish please tell me what we can do to make them better.

Thanks
    GEEEKGIRL
    peg

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Get rid of the flippin parasites

make categories that we can use I think SAS feed has 2 categories and useless to create a feed based on them

get rid of the flippin parasites

welcome to ABW

I had extended BB an invite months ago to come to abw, seemingly at a the same time I was asking why BB worked with the parasites

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Hi geekgirl2 and welcome to the board.

I just recently got myself approved as a premier member of SAS in part because I wanted access to the XML datafeeds offered by you and other merchants on SAS.

Here's the rub... I'm still trying to learn how to work with datafeeds. As of yesterday I have my first datafeed up and running as a result of a script I found on amazon.com for Amazon's XML datafeeds. Within hours I was able to get it customized and it works and looks great. It also taught me a lot about how things like datafeeds, Perl and cgi-bins all interact with HTML to create dynamic pages. However, I still need to learn Perl (or whatever) if I want to create other datafeeds.

It seems that aside from Amazon's script, there are not any other companies offering free scripts for associates . So... if you really want to get associates knocking down your door to join, how about coming up with some sort of basic script for using your datafeed? I know that's asking a h3ll of a lot, but you could start a trend and folks like me would love you!

I figure as long as you were asking for suggestions, it couldn't hurt to ask.

"The crowd has no hands." - Soren Kierkegaard

Welcome to ABW.

Any CJ merchants that go back onto my site will be ones I see folks at ABW believe to be free of parasites.

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

I agree with what's been said already....

Get rid of the parasites.... go 100% parasite free!

make you feed more usable...

offer a basic XML script to make use of your feed.

I agree with Cagles Mill there are no free scripts available the convert XML to Html for us non programers...

joe

And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Peg ...study up on how to divert targeted affiliate traffic to negate having to pay commissions on sales. There must be something your boss missed like setting hidden house cookies in the Serps and those blind cookie setting redirects from ALL the PPCSE's. Don't forget you can set cookie overwrites via your e-mail specials ...just ask your e-mail firm or CJ rep how this is done. Then be sure to add in drop shipping partnerships for the sleezebag BHO infested competing flower sites who also crave your feed and niche' products.

Try out some more gift registry sites who insert their ID on purchased items. You do have the idea correct that the leading bait here at ABW is to give the doorway page artists free access to your feeds and don't forget the couponers expertise in the SERP trademark/product keyword tricks.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Hi Peg,

Hopefully you realize that Mike's being *sarcastic!*

There does seem to be some kind of drag affecting BB results. It can't hurt to ditch the parasites! Some other programs have seen great success after such delousing.

Bonsai Boy is unique for me in that I have a lot of single, unique-content pages for BB as well as feed pages--and BB's on multiple sites. It used to be a great performer well worthy of such attention. It is my hope that BonsaiBoy will return to such greatness!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

As for the feeds, I use the one through CJ and it's worked fine for me. Nothing comes to mind really quick about the feed, which is GOOD! That means it runs nicely and fits with my templates without aggravation. I've got no experience with the SAS one since I'm already in the CJ program.

I have no experience with IrishElegance--in fact I'd never even heard of it before! So one of the things that one seems to need is more visibility. There are other programs I'm not part of that I've still at least heard of.

The trick is to get GOOD publicity. A lot of programs end up mentioned on ABW because they SUCK! So, of course, you don't want that kind of publicity.

Take a look at the forums of some of the popular programs here to see what goes over well--and what bombs. Also search on their names to catch mentions that are outside of their individual forums.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

ABW Ambassador
    What, you got done helping all the parasites, and NOW you have found the time to devote to us?

I used to be a BB affiliate, and did quite well, but then you stopped carrying a product we were promoting.

Do what Mike said.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Also- nothing like asking a question and then not appearing back to answer what we posted

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Sorry for the delay. I am glad to be back.
    one thing though, how did I become an elite member so quickly?

I read through some of the posts regarding parasites and I know you frown upon them. The parasite programs do not do as well as you would think. Our top affiliates are not the parasite programs but the hard working/clever ones like you who will do something to catch their eye. My boss appreciates the work that all of you do. I recognize some of you and value what you say and will take it all into consideration.

It seems that some affiliates will try various methods to refer sales. For example the affiliate with the domain name of wwwbonsaiboy.com.
    One time we had an affiliate send us a huge amount of sales in a two day period as a result of mass targeted emails. It worked! BB was greatful but wanted me to temporarily deactivate this affiliate because he could not keep up with the sales.

jimbo, what was the product? the Bonsaiboy added some new categories. New datafeeds based on them. The cold season is almost over in NY and full inventory will be restored. No more shipping delays.

I can make feeds for you. Perhaps even automate the process. I will look into this. Databases are my thing and I enjoy working with them and I look forward to creating something for you. Would anybody be interested in trying out/evaluating a cj/sas feed you could use? To what degree do you want the feed in? A database that you can download off the site where you just replace a marker in the field with your PID on your own, or perhaps you would want a script to generate this after prompting for your PID? Or perhaps something that will generate a page of links based on specific trees you choose or categories? Please let me know, I can do it for you. For those of you who use shopsite, I creates an access app that will spit out feeds for cj, SAS, froogle. Very useful.
    Please let me know how I can help.

Geek Girl

15 years and counting
    Welcome Geek Girl
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How did I become an elite member so quickly <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I guess it's because you're a merchant and not an affiliate. Next step is for you to get your "Approved Vendor Seal". It will be harder.

We'll like to hear your position (loud and clear) about parasites.
    If "The parasite programs do not do as well as you would think" Why don't you get rid of them?
    I assure you they are costing BB a bundle, because many affiliates (and I'm one of them)are worried to promote your company. Remember, we're affiliates but also consumers, we have friends and family and we're telling them where to buy on the net and which companies to avoid.
    So, your first step here, should be to tell us when you're going to kick out all the crooks of your affiliate program before to sell us more ways to feed the SEs.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Whatever you do with feeds, my main concern is that you keep the CJ Feed (the one that comes through CJ) up to date and with a complete listing of your products.

Some may want an outside-CJ feed but don't forget those of us who use the feed IN-CJ and like it that way!

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

ABW Ambassador
    yup parasites are abw concern kick them! ensure no parasites in your program. what's the top seller products ? best season for bonsai ? and maybe you have special offers
    finally communicate communicate communicate with affiliates therefore you should active in abw i'am sure you'll get a lot feedback from super affiliate here

"We'll like to hear your position (loud and clear) about parasites"

Yes and please just state your 'level' of parasitefreeness in plain language. Choose from this list if you want:

a) Still have all the creeps as affiliates but I am parasitefree because the network tells me everyone is in complaince

b) Still have these publishers in my program but I am parasite free because I made special arrangements with them to 'turn off' their service when they recognise me

c) Those most highly suspected ones are not in my program

d) 'c' above plus we are reviewing new affiliates, conducting our own on-going testing to verify our clean program

e) 'c' and 'd' above plus we are trying to get the network to help

Nice to hear you are aware of the problem and taking steps to address it.

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

Thank you for your input.
    Yes I did call CJ a while ago and they did say that the 'parasites' were in compliance and they did not have a problem with them.

I will take a look through this forum and read up more about the parasites and how to id them. I think I know of a few that are in our program.

It does seem like becoming parasite-free would benefit our program as more of you may join.

Christmas time is the best season. The trees do well throughout the season though. You would think the winter is a bad time, but this is our best time. The other holidays work out well for us too. Targeted audiences is i not always best - many customers happen upon a bonsai and think they are the perfect gift. "if you don't know what to get her/him, get them a bonsai"

aritificial/wire trees/golf ball ficus for the boss
    fountains for everybody
    starter kit and a video for the beginner
    For someobody who never had a bonsai the tropical trees are great: hawaiian umbrella tree. Just like a house plant, easy to maintain and still has the look of a bonsai.

Junipers are popular
    Juniper-Stone Landscape Scene
    Dish garden

For the advanced user, we have
    Juniper-Stone Landscape Scene
    brush cherry
    one of a kind
    aged specimen trees

people think that if it is a bonsai, it will not arrive in any decent condition, or how can it be shipped securely. The Bonsaiboy takes extra effort in the packaging and shipping, UPS so it is insured, next day is available. So promoting this is good. Send a message along with a bonsai.
    Don't forget our accessories, they are very popular as well. Pots, seeds, tools etc. The desktop grow light is a good one.

I will find out more later

P.S.
    new feeds for shareasale, cj, froogle go up later today!

Peg
    - Geek Girl

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Do what Mike said is the best advice so far. All the other things you mentioned sound great ...if you're a e-mail spammer or SE spammer. Mass e-mailing rang your bell as nifty cool. Wow boss I can throw them some simple datafeeds and they'll make thousands of doorway pages and bomb the keywords. We are the only major Bonsai etailer on the net but we need to make sure we panel the most popular SE search terms. If traffic increases so will sales ....screw conversion ratios ...that's the affiliates problem. It's all a big numbers game on the internet ...it's right here in my "online marketing 101" eBook.

If things get tough we can add more 800# "order hot line" banners to each page. If folks like EcomCity can make 200-300 a month 3 years ago on their limited traffic ...we can devise ways to reduce payouts and add 5,000 new affiliates without lifting a finger. Add more networks and let the the affiliate cannibals eat each other as we profit from the carnage.

Hey feed freeks ...jump on her offer to use thta Froogle feed.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

You have to do what you can. Most merchants even in this forum must agree that you have to protect yourself. We do rely on our affiliates for the success of our business whatever it may be. There is a percentage of sales from affiliate traffic and SE and other, sometimes things can go wrong, websites go down, out of business etc. There may be problems with the affiliate programs (for example - customers complaining of a links not working or nonexisting links due to the Norton Internet Sec. program-very annoying to us). Therefore we must maintain that cushion if and when something does go wrong, this way we do have somethng to fall back on.

The 800 number was a result of a ton of people calling and asking about our number. You will always have your people who just do not want to use the cc card online. Call in orders are minimal anyway.

I thought the publisher-merchant relationship was a partnership, you make it sound like we are competing against each other.

Geekgirl2

The biggest problem I have with your current datafeed through cj is the dead images or no images at all. Fix those issues and I'm sure I can send a few sales.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread