Exclamation Real closed down Rhapsody affiliate program?
    I never received any notice (via CJ mail or email) that Real.com was discontinuing the Rhapsody affiliate program. I just happened to stumble across this "notice" on the Rhapsody Web Services page.

Does anyone have any more information on this?

Rhapsody banners and affiliate links continue to work -- they do not show the discontinued merchant CJ error link. I love it when I don't receive a notice that a program is closed but they happily continue to accept my (now free) advertising, traffic, etc.

ABW Ambassador
    The affiliate manager made a post about it in this thread from July - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...light=Rhapsody

Hi JCA -

We sent out numerous messages relating to this. We've removed Rhapsody from a product in our program, however our other services (SuperPass, Real BroadBand Essentials and RealPlayer Plus) are all still available to promote (with higher CPA's as well!).
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

Thumbs down
    Quote Originally Posted by jclaydon
    however our other services (SuperPass, Real BroadBand Essentials and RealPlayer Plus) are all still available to promote (with higher CPA's as well!).
    Unfortunately we are not able to promote those other services at the moment.

Looking at all the Flash based banners for Real's SuperPass at CJ, none of those banners seem to be working properly. The SuperPass Flash banners do not have a proper destination url (they do nothing when you click on them).

Maybe the "clickTAG" url isn't being properly used by the .swf Flash banner file? Do you have any idea why they are not working? (We have tried different browsers, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by jca
    Unfortunately we are not able to promote those other services at the moment.

Looking at all the Flash based banners for Real's SuperPass at CJ, none of those banners seem to be working properly. The SuperPass Flash banners do not have a proper destination url (they do nothing when you click on them).

Maybe the "clickTAG" url isn't being properly used by the .swf Flash banner file? Do you have any idea why they are not working? (We have tried different browsers, etc.)

They work, but I'll have to explain in more detail. Why don't you contact me at jclaydon at real dot com.

I have most of the same creative in gif as well so I'm sure we can work something out.
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

Now if I want to link directly to certain songs, I can only do that on iTunes?!

Quote Originally Posted by hazlcha
    Now if I want to link directly to certain songs, I can only do that on iTunes?!
    We actually never had the Rhapsody MP3 store in the affiliate channel, so we could never actually sell certain songs

So yes you'll have to use iTunes, or eMusic, or Napster etc.

Hey thanks for replying. What I was referring to was your "Rhaplinks", which let me link directly to a song.

I built a lot of pages with reviews of songs on Rhapsody, and had the relevant rhaplinks there to go get 'em, or to sign up for rhapsody.

Now that the rug has been pulled, so to speak, I'm searching for a solution for those links. I've had a good run with you so far, but not having Rhapsody is a handicap for a music oriented site.

Suggestions?

Hey thanks for replying. What I was referring to was your "Rhaplinks", which let me link directly to a song.

I built a lot of pages with reviews of songs on Rhapsody, and had the relevant rhaplinks there to go get 'em, or to sign up for rhapsody.

Now that the rug has been pulled, so to speak, I'm searching for a solution for those links. I've had a good run with you so far, but not having Rhapsody is a handicap for a music oriented site.

Suggestions?
    I'm sure that iTunes has an API you can use to build out content. They have an affiliate program through LinkShare

Quote Originally Posted by JLakes
    Can you tell I am a little biased? ;-)
    No, but I can tell you don't know how to read rules. If you want to push your e-book you need to buy an ad. Anything else is SPAM.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

btw, I had an experience with Real. I decided to try out their Super Pass, which they still affiliate for.
    After a couple of hours, I decided it wasn't for me, and went looking for the page to cancel the trial.
    So to cancel, you have to call their call center, wherever in the world that is (India?). Then they put on the hard sell: "Did you know you can get - bla bla bla?"
    I knew what I could get, and wasn't interested, but they make you listen to the shpiel.
    Patience getting thinner, I said "It's not for me, thanks, please cancel the subscription." Now, get this response:
    "Oh, I'm sorry, I can't get into your account on the computer right now. You'll have to call back later."
    !!!!!
    To which I responded, "NO, I want to cancel now, as you promise I can, and I do NOT want to call back later."
    Wonder of wonders, she told me the good news, "Ah, I'm back on line now. OK, your account has been canceled, you won't be billed. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

End of story.

I'm not promoting Real anymore. Shame shame.

Sounds like trying to cancel AOL. Watch your credit card statement closely, apparently cancel dosn't always mean cancel to them.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

btw, I had an experience with Real. I decided to try out their Super Pass, which they still affiliate for.
    After a couple of hours, I decided it wasn't for me, and went looking for the page to cancel the trial.
    So to cancel, you have to call their call center, wherever in the world that is (India?). Then they put on the hard sell: "Did you know you can get - bla bla bla?"
    I knew what I could get, and wasn't interested, but they make you listen to the shpiel.
    Patience getting thinner, I said "It's not for me, thanks, please cancel the subscription." Now, get this response:
    "Oh, I'm sorry, I can't get into your account on the computer right now. You'll have to call back later."
    !!!!!
    To which I responded, "NO, I want to cancel now, as you promise I can, and I do NOT want to call back later."
    Wonder of wonders, she told me the good news, "Ah, I'm back on line now. OK, your account has been canceled, you won't be billed. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

End of story.

I would be more than happy to follow up to make sure your account is canceled out and any charges that may have occurred are reversed.

I am also very interested in understanding the exchange that happened between you and our call center rep, as it seems very unusual.

Could you please contact me at jclaydon @ real dot com?

Thanks Jonathon. The cancellation came through all right. The story is exactly as I wrote. Your employer has a call-to-cancel requirement, which is done, I assume, so you can talk them out of it. Otherwise, a simple "cancel my trial" click would be much easier. Real would save money on the call center costs too.

I read once where Google has a motto - don't be evil (whether they follow it, IDK). The trial, as I saw it, was quicksand. Same as, but not as extreme, the AOL link.

Now if it's not company policy to make canceling difficult, that is irrelevant. If the person answering the phone doesn't know the company policy, then the company has failed to control the quality of its call centers. Not teaching the policy is also the policy.

Real has a quicksand problem.

!!!!!

End of story.

Phone cancellations are pretty standard to try and limit churn - And from experience, that can benefit both parties, since I've gotten some good deals or special promotions by calling in to cancel. Having worked in a field somewhat related to call center cancellation/retention departments, I know that there's always a good percentage of customers who are calling to cancel because they don't like a feature that they just don't actually know how to use, and when shown how to use it, decide to stay. Believe me, helping customers with their issues, and getting them to stay on can more than pay for that call center. The offline computer excuse might be real, or it might just be a really bad attempt by the cancellation rep to save the sale.

OK, I hear you. Perhaps adding to the cancel click option a field to allow the subscriber to explain why, and then if relevant, customer service can make contact. In my case, the offer seemed promising, but the choice of content was not what I had thought I might get and was interested in. The call center person tried to convince me that I have some music downloads coming, but I knew that and didn't need or want it (I'm already on Rhapsody, which I like - lol).

At any rate, as an end-user, the requirement to call in order to cancel - as a requirement - and then hear an additional sales pitch, was annoying to me. As for the computer thing, even if it WAS down, you can tell me to wait a moment and see if it comes on line again. Instead, she said immediately, "I can't get in to your account now, you'll need to call back."

Now, a company can fairly put any requirement they want on their free trial. I don't think they'll gain anything by being sticky. Make it simple, straightforward, without catches. As a customer I appreciate people who make my life simpler.

Or, let me put this another way. Make my life difficult when I try to cancel something, and I won't be back any time soon. Smile and say "thanks for trying us out" to me, and I'll be more positively inclined. You see the taste this encounter left in my mouth.

Or, let me put this another way. Make my life difficult when I try to cancel something, and I won't be back any time soon. Smile and say "thanks for trying us out" to me, and I'll be more positively inclined. You see the taste this encounter left in my mouth.
    Not to mention everyone that you've warned to stay away.

I've mentioned this in another thread but I'll reiterate here; USE VIRTUAL CREDIT CARD NUMBERS AVAILABLE FROM MANY BANKS FOR ALL ONLINE PURCHASES. You generate numbers on the fly and decide how those numbers are used and can shut them down whenever you want. So instead of arguing with a retention rep about what to do with YOUR money, simply turn the virtual card off. End of argument.

-rematt

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread