ABW Ambassador
    For Those Using Artisteer Themes For Wordpress
    For those that use Artisteer for their Wordpress themes - http://www.artisteer.com/?p=home

How do you like it, pro and cons etc.

I remember Knight posting in another thread that they use it, so I downloaded the demo - http://www.artisteer.com/?p=downloads

Played around with it for a few minutes. Just picked their first theme that popped up, exported the zip file to my desktop and uploaded it to Wordpress. With the trial it has the word trial all over but you can try it out before you buy. And it looks pretty cool, real easy. I guess you just have to buy it once and can use it as many times as you want? And if you want to buy the Home addition is just $49.95, don't think I need the Standard one for $129.95 which adds Drupal, Joomla etc.

So for those who have it, how do you like it? Thanks.

I tried it during the first week of release. It was nice to have the ability to customize. Also overall it was pretty easy as you say. I stopped using it though. Don't remember quite why and haven't thought about it much since. So, I guess I don't miss it. Normally, I just edit the themes via other means (sometimes by trial and error) and mostly get the look I was going for.

If you are new to WP, I would just ignore it for now and instead concentrate on learning the interface, the permalink structure, the SEO plugins, sitemap plugin, etc. IMO, you are better off putting the money from the Artisteer purchase into a "premium" theme that has a huge following (and therefore is probably coded correctly.)

http and a telephoto
    Check the license for any premium theme you purchase, most have an inexpensive "single site" license and a more expensive "developer" version that lets you use it on any of your own sites. I went to look at this one then got distracted and didn't check out the license yet.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    OK, just took another look, this is a desktop software and not a true "theme". Interesting idea.... but not a "upload and go" ready made theme.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I see that a lot. I might buy a premium in the future if I find one I really like. My first blog is using one of the most popular free ones and I don't see any problems with that as far as coding and stuff.

What I like with Artisteer you can buy it once and I can use it on many sites for the cost of one premium theme. And I like a lot of the ones they have and how easy it is to switch things up. So was looking for other people currently using Artisteer.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    OK, just took another look, this is a desktop software and not a true "theme". Interesting idea.... but not a "upload and go" ready made theme.
    Yeah, desktop software that you can easily get different looking themes. Starts off with Suggest Design which will give you different looks, then they have different colors/fonts, headers, layout, buttons, footers etc. And you can customize it more. When you find something you like, save it and then just upload it to wordpress like you would any other there. It was pretty easy. I just picked the very first one to try it out and it literally took me a minute for it to be live on my site. And it looks a lot better than most of the free ones out there. Why I'm trying to figure out from people using the paid version, any limitations or problems before I buy it.

http and a telephoto
    Sounds like I may download the trial and see what they have. Thanks Trust.
    Deborah Carney

A friend of mine uses it and highly recommends it. He has the paid version and says once I try I I won't mess around with hand coding WP css files. I have not downloaded it yet or used it myself but his sites look very professionally done. It wouldn't take much to dissuade me from handcoding WP css files though.

I bought a license last year.. love it.

While I don't use it for Wordpress specifically, I've deployed a few css sites with it - the underlying code isn't that easy to decipher, but one could say the same about any other template.

Trust, well worth the $50.(that's the version I bought also)
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I am curious as to why multiple themes are needed, since in the sea of billions of blogs a user would rarely see any 2 of mine. If I have a really good theme what is wrong with using it over and over since all the content is different?

ABW Ambassador
    Don't see anything wrong with that.

I can't even find one I really like completely. There are some so close but then it's a little thing here or there. And I know with each one you have to some tweaking here and there. I need to narrow it down to a few and then really try to see if I can tweak them where I want them to be. Don't know if I'm getting a little obsessive with this or what. I like things to run smooth and look nice.

Nothing wrong with using the same theme over again with tweaks...

But I have six sites of my own, and I do want those to look different. I also work with clients to bring a fresh look & feel to their existing sites (not interested in complete redesigns anymore).

A tool like Artisteer gets the job done quickly.

Just speaking from personal experience..

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I can't even find one I really like completely. There are some so close but then it's a little thing here or there.
    I find that rarely do the demos appeal to me. When I see a blog that I like doing competition research then I dig in the source code to see where it came from. I'm already looking at the full potential of one tweaked for marketing, and not one with some filler images.

Also looking at the source for one that's already tweaked helps me tweak mine. The one I'm all most finished setting up was done like that. I would rather tweak than post to the blog. Artisteer really looks good for someone that's not really a tweak freak like me.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread