Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Phone Bills
    Does anyone here use the magicjack thingy..... I have disconnected my cable in a effort to free my wallet. Saw a commercial for that and was wondering if it were real? LOL i know its real but does anyone use it? or does anyone use vonage or the similar? I am super interested in the magicjack thingy, but i fear the wrath of the husband if I bought it and it doesn't work or they have mystery charges billed........So I ask here, I say if someone has seen it or used it they are probably here.......thanks a million for your advice in advance...
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snappy
    Does anyone here use the magicjack thingy..... I have disconnected my cable in a effort to free my wallet. Saw a commercial for that and was wondering if it were real? LOL i know its real but does anyone use it? or does anyone use vonage or the similar? I am super interested in the magicjack thingy, but i fear the wrath of the husband if I bought it and it doesn't work or they have mystery charges billed........So I ask here, I say if someone has seen it or used it they are probably here.......thanks a million for your advice in advance...
    Have had it since late February and love it.

One less bill to pay.

It's $19.95 a year and about $40 for the jack that plugs into a usb port on your pooter.

Signal strength seems to fade every now and then, but no worse than a cell phone.

I give it a thumbs up.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Google Voice... 100% Free, Long Distance Included..

or

Skype, $2.95/month for unlimited long distance. You don't need a computer running to access Skype or Google Voice.. MagicJack requires a computer running..

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I am considering Phone Power VoIP for $240 for 24 months of service. My current VoIP is too expensive.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by snappy
    I have disconnected my cable in a effort to free my wallet.
    Hate to say it but you require cable or DSL for magic jack.

From their website:

To use a magicJack, you MUST have the following:
    A computer with an available USB port; AND

Any computer with Windows XP, Windows Vista or Intel-based Apple MAC operating system; AND

One of the following: Broadband, High-Speed Internet, Cable Internet, DSL, WiFi, Wireless, WiMax, or FiOS; AND

Your present corded telephone or cordless telephone system (you can also use a headset or your computer's microphone and speakers)

I am not entertaining Magic Jack as an option because I have read too many not so pleasant reviews on the service, mainly call quality.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I am not entertaining Magic Jack as an option because I have read too many not so pleasant reviews on the service, mainly call quality.
    Is it due to the WiFi or the bandwidth bottle neck on the cable provider's side.

Some of the affiliates I worked with swears by it before the took it on the road with the QVC style marketing.

Smile
    I prefer to use Skype)

I've had Vonage for several years; it requires Broadband, High-Speed Internet, Cable Internet, DSL, but the computer does not have to be there - it's just connected to the modem.

I really love several things about it - unlimited local and long distance for the price (29.95 a month plus tax makes it about $34 - would be cheaper if I paid annually)
    I love the "management options" - voicemail messages come to my email, I can take the Vonage equipment thingie with me if I want and hook it up wherever I am (never used that) PLUS if you have a temporary need for a local number in some other market, it's like $5. We did that for almost a year when Dave's Mother was in a rehab place after a heart attack - she didn't feel guilty calling whenever she wanted to talk because it was a local call.
    I also love that I can pick up the phone, put it on do not disturb and then put it back to normal later and get some quiet time. I can see every call online if I want to manage my account from the computer - it's just too easy and too good quality for the price to give it up. I could probably live with just my cell phone, but with Vonage, why give it up?

We use Onesuite long distance service in our house (for 3 years already) and we are happy with it. It's prepaid and can be use with or without a computer. We use ATA though so no need for a PC to be turned on all the time.

My husband has a magic jack and loves it. He keeps wanting me to switch, but I have a "thing" about phones and my next phone purchase will be an old princess phone.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

iNET Senior Community Advisor SoftWareRevue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    My husband has a magic jack and loves it. He keeps wanting me to switch, but I have a "thing" about phones and my next phone purchase will be an old princess phone.
    Then get magic jack and plug your princess phone into it.

I don't use my magic jack as my primary phone. But I use it often enough I should probably make the switch. Some things I like about it are that you simply plug any standard phone into it. Of course, you can use it with a headset and microphone, but why would you? I love the fact that voicemails are sent to my email address. While you can access messages via the phone interface, it's just too cool to have it in my email inbox. You can add/remove email addresses too.

The quality seems to be touch and go though. Which is what's holding me up on the switching bit. I've used it for years. And recently purchased the 5 year plan. Where else can you get phone service for $69 for 5 years? That's just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bride View Post
    I prefer to use Skype)
    i use skype also
    Mike Pacheco
    President/Ceo, [URL="http://www.ndemandaffiliates.com"]NDemand Affiliates[/URL]
    Office: 877-767-3311 ext. 8, Cell: 405-618-3559, Fax: 405-242-5067, AIM: Mikepceo , Skype: Mikepceo

Affiliate Manager Resume Companion's Avatar
    For mission critical VOIP, I used to use ringcentral.com, which was awesome. For non-mission critical, I use skype. There is a substantial difference in uptime and clarity though.
    Howard Chai, Affiliate Manager
    Email: [email]affiliate@resumecompanion.com[/email]
    Website: [URL="http://resumecompanion.com"]ResumeCompanion.com[/URL]
    SAS Program Link: [URL="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=26342"]Join Now[/URL]

Just took another look at Magic Jack. They're supposed to have number porting in August, so I might look again then. I've had the same numbers (home and business) for almost 10 years, and being able to keep them would certainly seal the deal. I hate paying $50/month to AT&T when I could pay $69 per 5 years and have more options (caller ID [which I'm too cheap to pay for], free long distance, ability to take my phone with me if I'm out of the country, etc.).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

For international calls, Skype To Go (or is it Go Skype?) allows you to pick a number local to you to call from any phone that gets you into the Skype network. You can then make your international calls using numbers you've previously entered, or others.

It's a good thing when you call abroad regularly but want to be able to do so from anywhere, even your cell.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

iNET Senior Community Advisor SoftWareRevue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    ... ability to take my phone with me if I'm out of the country, etc.).
    Oh! Yeah! They're for U.S. and Canada. But I purchased one, along with the 5 year plan, and sent it to a friend in Australia. She loves it! She can telephone the U.S. as a local call. And we can call her!

My wife loves hers for when we travel. Sure, we have cell phones. But it's nice to be able to take your land line with you.

I have been using MJ for about 8 months now for my home office line and it is a great price. However, there are some draw backs. From time to time, I get no dial tone and I have to unplug and plug it back into the computer. I do get static on a call sometimes. That is usually fixed by hanging up and dialing back in. I also have a fiber internet connection which is running at 7MB download and 6MP upload.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Just took another look at Magic Jack. They're supposed to have number porting in August, so I might look again then. I've had the same numbers (home and business) for almost 10 years, and being able to keep them would certainly seal the deal. I hate paying $50/month to AT&T when I could pay $69 per 5 years and have more options (caller ID [which I'm too cheap to pay for], free long distance, ability to take my phone with me if I'm out of the country, etc.).
    You might wanna take a look at Onesuite as they do porting for free. Monthly fee is $2.95 and outgoing calls are prepaid at 2.5c to US numbers and 1.9c to Canada. Onesuite is SIP based so you can use even without a computer (by using an ATA device.)

Quote Originally Posted by thomasv View Post
    You might wanna take a look at Onesuite as they do porting for free. Monthly fee is $2.95 and outgoing calls are prepaid at 2.5c to US numbers and 1.9c to Canada. Onesuite is SIP based so you can use even without a computer (by using an ATA device.)
    That's considerably more than MagicJack, though. $69 for 5 years is just $1.15 per month, and calls to the US and Canada don't have per minute fees.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    $0.99 per month plan => http://www.maggiore.net/greenacres/images/e102.jpg

Seriously, Magic Jack has proven to be unusable in the past when I called a friend that had it. But in the last few months it has worked fine so they seem to have fixed it?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I have been using Skype for over a year with it's $2.95/month plan. I use it with a regular phone number that is bought through them for around $35 per year. I have a local number and a local area code so I can get calls like I was on ATT.

Can anyone here really explain this stuff to me? I mean, you guys throw terms like "ATA device" and "SIP" around like we're supposed to understand what they mean and how they work??

Gimme a break.

We recently got -- FINALLY! -- the option in our city to get DSL without a required phone line from ATT. We've had ATT DSL for years.

I despise paying ATT another $45-$50 a month for our phone service. So naturally, this thread caught my attention.

I've been reading about Magic Jack the last day or two online, and I get mixed information, ranging from "greatest thing since sliced bread" to "spawn of Satan" from people who claim to have used MJ.

But I'm interested in Skype, too. Although after half an hour looking at their website, I have absolutely NO idea how to 1) use Skype as a replacement for my landline, and, 2) what having it as a "normal" landline-type service would cost.

I tried to figure out Onesuite -- same issues. The Skype site and Onesuite site both seem to be designed to be user "unfriendly" for someone simply looking for a cheap Voip phone solution.

Vonage looks pretty straightforward and interesting, but, heck, they can't save me enough on my monthly phone bill to make it worth switching, really.

So -- any of you "geeks," "non-geeks" and/or "nearly geeks" wanna make this thread useful and give an Old Guy some guidance?

Thanks!
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post

But I'm interested in Skype, too. Although after half an hour looking at their website, I have absolutely NO idea how to 1) use Skype as a replacement for my landline, and, 2) what having it as a "normal" landline-type service would cost.
    Thanks!
    Without digging up my bill for Skype I may be off a penny or two, but it's $2.95/month for Skype Out which lets me call anywhere in the USA and Canada with no limits. I also buy a number which lets you call me and that cost $35/year. I will pm you that number and you can see what the quality is like if you want to call me for a test. At least you can hear one end of it.

I usually don't answer it unless the incoming number is in my contacts. I answer messages though, and it takes them well.

When I dropped my land line and went with only DSL the phone company here bumped my rate. I now pay around $70 for their fastest DSL option. That's something to consider in your case, and you might check with yours while you are thinking about it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast