Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I can't believe this one!
    The Pentagon's Secret Scream

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

A Non lethal acoustic weapon vs a lethal bomb, gun, grenade etc ... Hmmm?

Hearing loss vs death? Hmmmm?

I don't think this is a tough one to decide on (for me at least), remember it's weapon used in war, not being used by police to disperse a crowd.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

I understand that line of thinking but it gives me a real George Orwellian shiver.

What is to keep a government from using this against their own citizens for control? Don't you think Sadam would have used it against his own people to keep them in line? It is not at all inconceivable to me that a rogue US president some day could use it against dissenters, here. They shot people at Kent State, didn't they?

The problem with this "tool", is that it being non-lethal, would relieve the users of the guilt and political fall out that accompanies the use of lethal force but give them the same power as lethal force, perhaps more since people are often more afraid of pain than they are of death.

Also, I don't think they even know the long term effects on the elderly and infants. But, what the heck. Let's test it on the Iraqis and find out. I guess that is the plan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But the U.S. is making a huge mistake by trying to quietly deploy a new pain-inducing weapon without first airing all of the legal, policy and human rights issues associated with it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. We need to listen to and cooperate with other countries. We are not in this world alone.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    On a somewhat related note: A Car Stereo That Can Kill You? Cool!
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>dB (as in decibel) drag racing is an obscure but growing international "sport" in which competitors go head-to-head for two or three seconds at a time -- hence the name drag racing -- to establish whose sound system is loudest. The 2002 record, set by a German team of secretive audio engineers, was 177.6 dB. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>(Don't worry, with 5 tons of gear and structural modifications, these cars are undrivable!)

-----------------------------
    It's better to write something crappy that you can improve upon later than it is to write nothing. - Comedian Mike Myers

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Just one more hi tech weapon that will probably end up in the wrong people's possession s in the future

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Haiko makes some valid points but I'd hate to see this device used where innocents could be affected. It'd be great though for cleaning out those caves.

Stereo drag racing?? What a waste of money.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BradleyB:
    Stereo drag racing?? What a waste of money<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>So is model railroading or collecting corporate "junk" like Enron mugs or Digital Electronics Corporation binders.

People are going to waste their money. I might as well try to siphon some of it for myself.

Back to the original topic: the Pentagon started their non-lethal weapons research with high intensity/low-frequency sound in the 1970s. They couldn't make the weapon not "backfire" on the user.

-----------------------------
    It's better to write something crappy that you can improve upon later than it is to write nothing. - Comedian Mike Myers

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think they should inflict permanent deafness on someone for attending a protest.

In fact I do not think they should inflict it on combantants either (is it ok then to develop a biological or chemical weapon that attacks soldiers eardrums or the hearing centers of their brains?).

Here's another interesting story:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...eton&printer=1

Looks a lot more useful.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> will probably end up in the wrong people's possession <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's my first concern. The US seems to have a history of selling weapons, then having them get delivered back the hard way about 10 or 20 years later.

I also think causing deafness is no "better" than using other forms of extreme force--it's still causing a permanent disability, or at least causing a high risk of one.

As for the crowd dispersal:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The device is a powerful megaphone the size of a satellite dish that can deliver recorded warnings in Arabic and, on command, emit a piercing tone so excruciating to humans, its boosters say, that it causes crowds to disperse, clears buildings and repels intruders. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds like that's exactly what they're intending to do with it. Why else would it also have the ability to do standard amplification?

I'm underwhelmed. Opposing armies worth their salt will just add hearing protection to their gear, those that *aren't* worth their salt don't need anything special for us to beat them, and, for the nonwar uses, there's already numerous means of crowd dispersal as it is.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

BTW, when I first replied I was afraid this thread would turn "political" and really want to thank all for not turning it to that angle, what a great exchange of opinions.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The US seems to have a history of selling weapons, then having them get delivered back the hard way about 10 or 20 years later.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> The USA is not on its own in this instance, most of the developed countries sold arms to the third world to make the money.

Take Margaret Thatchers (ex English Prime Minister) son I he went missing for about 1 1/2 weeks during a car rally in the Sahara desert. A year or so later it was disclosed he had suddenly amassed well over one million pounds, I think it was around 4 million.

These are the elected scum that run your countries, anything for a buck, if it's illegal or imoral what the heck, give me the buck. and we think the parasites cause us problems

Gordon YouTrek.com
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>

This kind of thing worries me a lot. The potential to inhibit what is left of freedom is enormous.

Even money is no good these days. I have the money to but a residence cash outright and I offered to pay with cash. It can't be done any more.

You can't even ride in an airplane anonymously. WHY NOT!! This is wrong. Privacy is gone. Children cannot even feel safe unguarded at the playground.

It won't impact me much. I won't be here 20 years from now.

But, I fear young people will never know freedom. I was able to run wild and free and learn the lessons of taking chances and consequences. Never more. Never more for the young.

Just turn on some Neil Diamond. That'll disperse any crowd.

"What is to keep a government from using this against their own citizens for control?"

Let's start a list of stuff that's already out there, has it been abused (in the US only please)?

Rubber bullets
    Microwave radiation
    Pepper Spray
    Stun gun
    Taser

We can go back to the 1950's, use guns?

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

This thing could be easily misused if the wrong people got hold of it. The potential to create chaos is apparent, if the right people are given the opportunity to abuse it.

It seems like the wrong people always eventually get their hands on things like this, too. Whether sold to them, copied, or whatever. Right now where I live, we have a problem with vehicles on a major expressway being targeted and hit with paint balls. No accidents or deaths yet, but it's just a matter of time before tragedy strikes. Some people do not have enough respect for life, specifically other people's right to live it, and my biggest concern is that we are able to control who has access to it, how it's used (or not used) and ensure steps are taken to prevent abuse.

Andy

I think they should come up with an helium bomb that makes everyone sound like chipmunks.

What about all the eye damage being inflicted on innocent people utilizing the Internet? The damaged caused by ABW’ers even, some of the sites (Mike) I've seen have caused serious eye damage!

Not every person should be allowed to display their website design online! We need to regulate this somehow! My eyes are permanently damaged due to web site designing in the wrong hands.

SandraR<font color="red"></font>
    <font face="Arial" size="1">ArtGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">AutoGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">BookGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">CleanGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">GameGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">GiftGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">PetGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1">
    </font><font size="1" face="Arial">| SSAN &amp; AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN &amp; Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |</font></p>

SandraR,
    Please accept this as a token of my sympathy.

SSanf

I could not help myself!

SandraR<font color="red"></font>
    <font face="Arial" size="1">ArtGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">AutoGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">BookGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">CleanGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">GameGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">GiftGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">PetGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1">
    </font><font size="1" face="Arial">| SSAN &amp; AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN &amp; Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    SSanf makes the point I agree with about non-lethal weapons, it takes away that difficulty in using it. If we know we could go in and take over a country without hurting anyone, would we start doing it more often?

One of the fallouts of Vietnam was our modern military. The DOD made it pretty impossible for congress/president to start a war with just the active military, they have to use reserve and national guard units - this was in the hope of making the politicians commit fully to the "war" before committing the troops.

Chet

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Let's start a list of stuff that's already out there

Don't forget that the US DoD used it's own soldiers in tests of chemical and biological weapons, and those people(well, the survivors) are only just finding out now...

http://www.vva.org/shad/

http://www.vva.org/PressReleases/2002/pr02-008.htm

http://www.politicsol.com/guest-comm...002-07-23.html

http://www.staugustine.com/stories/0...a_772270.shtml

Some of the testing was on foreign soil (UK, Canada, Puerto Rico).

http://www.themilitant.com/2002/6642/664251.html

George Orwell got the date wrong

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> SandraR wrote: The damaged caused by ABW’ers even, some of the sites (Mike) I've seen have caused serious eye damage!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Well, we do have Mike to thank for the war effort over in Iraq! It's a little-known fact that Mike worked closely with the military on this secret covert operation.

Yes, it's true...

You saw it here first...

Before Saddam Hussein was captured, he was surfing the Internet, and Mike's site was served to him on his laptop through the efforts of many BRAVE people! After seeing Mike's site, it scared him so that he ran cowering into that hole in the ground where they found him! And we have our very own Webmaster Mike to thank for that!

I guess Saddam wasn't one of Mike's target savvy shoppers...

Andy

<span class="gs_small"><font color="red">I built the site with the page that had the link to the merchant. I optimized it. It was my traffic that clicked the link, it was my link, and I'm the one who sold the product. So why are the PARASITES getting the commission?</font></span>

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Do I qualify for any Saddam capture reward money? I coupled artistic overkill with subliminal messaging baiting his butt till he broke down and bolted.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

I heard that Mike has been sending lists of suggestions to the Department of Defense for months. They were doing everything wrong. I'm sure they never would have captured Saddam without Mike's suggestions.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast