The Yahoo Directory
    We haven't previously paid for a commercial listing of our site in the Yahoo directory. And our Yahoo rankings are not fantastic for certain key terms that are important to us.

Is there a direct correlation between being in the directory, your place in Yahoo SERPs, and subsequent Yahoo search traffic?

I know they will be using Bing results in the future, which would be immediately beneficial to me, but we might be a year or more away from that.

Thoughts?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

We have used Yahoo Directory for 10 years on our merchant site (a Yahoo Store no less.) We have never seen any hard evidence that they give you better ranking in the Yahoo SERPS when you advertise in their directory. In fact in recent years the Google PR of our listing page has been so low it doesn't even count as a premium inbound link for our Google PR.

We keep paying the bucks but it is more out of habit and "just in case" it is helping.

Thanks. That's always been my suspicion, but I wasn't sure.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

It's worthless, IMHO.

When is the last time you actually USED the Yahoo Directory? No matter what the public PageRank shows for the Yahoo Directory, I have to believe that Google would seriously (or completely) discount links from sites that few people actually use anymore.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

At the end of the day, for a commercial site, it's actually a paid link.... It might actually hurt Google SERPs ;p
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I just recently got a listing in the Yahoo Directory after holding out for a year. I was already ranking ok in Yahoo and Google. I did lots of research and read lots of forums but much of the info was old and not recent. Some say it helps some say it doesn't. I know it doesn't help in getting traffic because no one uses Y! directory except for spammers and scrapers, lol. I did it because it is still a directory that is still reviewed by humans, have guidelines, and it "used to be" seen as a vote of approval by a trusted site, which can help Google rankings. Plus I looked at all my competitors on page 1, and most had a listing.

So I took the plunge. This was beginning of June. No real movement. In the meantime, I added lots of quality content. Then the update in July. Bumped up one page, plus added more content. Then throttling back and forth between 2nd and 3rd page. Add more content. Now past few days, page 1. Don't know if it is the Y! directory, quality content or backlinks. But in any case, it didn't hurt me. Still don't get a lot of Y! traffic, mostly Google so that result stayed the same.

We'll see if anything happens in the next update.

ABW Ambassador
    Is that directory still going to be around once Bing starts powering their search? I know it's a paid directory and not the natural SERPS but I would hold off until the transition just to be sure.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I have done it my previous positions. I have not seen any real traffic from there but as people said, it is like an old habit.

If you want to do Yahoo Directory, might as well do DMOZ first as it is free.

Unknown to many, DMOZ powers GOOGLE DIRECTORY
    http://www.google.com/dirhp

enter search term, anything.. look at the bottom footer.

Just a FYI

Online Marketing Consultant
    I still buy the link in the Directory but think that the quality has really gone downhill over the last few years...they also recently upped the price from $200 to $299 so you may want to hold off until Bing or find better paid links that are more relevant to your sites. =0).
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

http and a telephoto
    Is that still around? I have an unpaid link that used to send me great traffic, but I get nothing from it now. I don't know anyone that goes there to search.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Yeah, I'm sure the Directory itself is useless as a traffic driver. I was more curious as to its influence on Yahoo serps.

As directories go, I haven't even been to DMOZ in over a year probably. Maybe 2. But thanks for pointing that out Eric.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    "I was more curious as to its influence on Yahoo serps."

They won't exist this time next year. Will be interesting to see what MSN does with it. Will they keep it, keep it and rebrand it, still take the money to get in the directory, who knows. They used to have one of their own, from the archives - http://web.archive.org/web/200406091....bcentral.com/

and they killed that one.

I have two sites listed in the Yahoo directory and believe the listings have been beneficial for both the Yahoo and Google serps. In both cases they are listed on pages with a small number of authoritative sites. I would not try to get a listing in a shopping category with hundreds of sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    I have done it my previous positions. I have not seen any real traffic from there but as people said, it is like an old habit.

If you want to do Yahoo Directory, might as well do DMOZ first as it is free.

Unknown to many, DMOZ powers GOOGLE DIRECTORY
    http://www.google.com/dirhp

enter search term, anything.. look at the bottom footer.

Just a FYI
    Good luck getting into DMOZ, we have been trying to get our merchant store in for years and it seems like every cat has no editor. I applied twice to edit but was turned down both times. It has been a while but forums on this batter were rampant with talk about editors wanting to get paid before they will include you.

Funny, they just did a recurring billing deduction on me today, $299 yuck.

I have no idea if there's any benefit or not. Supposedly there's a human editor review...You would think Yahoo would pay attention to their own listings.

For $299 though i could have issued a few press releases with links or had 30 (or more) pages of decent content written, which I know have been beneficial in the past.

Sorry, don't know what the absolute right or wrong answer is, other than if you get a traffic bump, expect it to be small.

:-)

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by billbam
    Good luck getting into DMOZ, we have been trying to get our merchant store in for years and it seems like every cat has no editor. I applied twice to edit but was turned down both times. It has been a while but forums on this batter were rampant with talk about editors wanting to get paid before they will include you.
    It takes time. It is tougher to get an affiliate website on there but it is possible. I got lostgolfballs.com on there in one try.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    As directories go, I haven't even been to DMOZ in over a year probably. Maybe 2. But thanks for pointing that out Eric.
    YW. Free is good..

I've had similar problems with DMOZ. My applications seem to go into a black hole with no particles or links able to escape.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

For $299 I will send you more REAL traffic than you get from anything Yahoo and guarantee 100K per month will see your ad.

Will they buy anything ... I have no idea. It ain't Google traffic.

But, if you insist on paying money to Yahoo, I would suggest, you make your own directory ... put up a CPM deal and some paid for listings and see if you can get 1,000 visitors per day ... you can EASILY make a $100 per month per keyworded directory.

Let's see ... $299 is $25/month ... a penny per visitor is 2,500 visitors ... might as well sign up for a RON deal at one of the secondary search engines and have them send you 2,500 REAL visitors over the first week of the month which is when most people have money to spend.

Good to hear that there is more than one option if you want to waste $299.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    dmoz is, was, and always will be a joke. Nobody uses it. I wouldn't use it, knowing how they exclude good and relevant sites. And the average person can not get in, nor can you find out why you did not get in. It is supposed to be transparent and fair, but I suspect it is a high-brow version of a good ol boys club.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

A couple of years ago, somebody on another forum was offering guaranteed inclusion in yahoo directory for $80 (not sure how he did it, some 'loophole' apparently)

Anyway, I bit - 2 years later my site is still included, but I'd gladly undo the deal and get my money back (never saw any increase in ranking or traffic)

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread