I have a ton of wildly popular old pages that I made as .htm before I knew about SSI. Now, I want the pages to be .shtml. But, there are a lot of links to those pages and they rank very well in the search engines. I am afraid to touch them. What to do?

I could redirect to the new pages, I know, but will that mess up the search engines placements?

Should I chance it?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Add this line to you .htaccess file

AddType text/html .htm
    AddHandler server-parsed .htm

No changing needed, and the .htm files then work with SSI

-----------------------------
    Scott

Have a nice day unless you have other plans

Thanks! I have never even seen my .htaccess file but I want to give this a try. I really need this.

Where's the .htaccess file and how do I change it?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

[This message was edited by SSanf on March 12, 2004 at 09:25 AM.]

If you have CPanel available it's under Apache Handlers.

An easy solution, this is what I have done.

Visit Canada's Paradise
    Gulf Island Vacation Rentals

Off to Mexico tomorrow - Yahoo!!!!!

Ssanf - .htacess sits in the root directory of your web space (prob called something like html or public_html).

There may not be a file there now with that name, so you may have to create it and upload it. A tricky aspect is that some software (like some ftp programs and some editors) don't see files that are only extensions in their view (nothing before the dot), so you may have to create a file called htaccess (no dot) in a text editor, upload that, and then rename it using ftp, ssh, a filemanager, whatever.

Mike & Charlie ...

This site is helpful htaccess guide

Word of warning - it may not work if your server has not been configured to allow .htaccess - in which case nothing will happen and you need to speak to your hosting company.

If it does work then a typo can sometimes cause problems, try to use it on a low traffic site first to test.

You will not be able to see the file in your FTP program as .htaccess files are normally hidden.

As you will see from the link to the above site you can use .htaccess to do all sorts of useful things.

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

Ssanf,

Check out this page:
    http://list.cobalt.com/pipermail/cob...er/023913.html

I can't remember (and ABW's search isn't working right now) what FTP proggie you use, but that page tells you how to see the .htaccess file in the root directory using WS_FTP. Also, remember to upload the file as an ASCII file, otherwise you will have problems.

If you just create a .htaccess file and upload it, anything in the orginal (custom 404 pages, etc) will be overwritten with the one you just uploaded. So it's best to download it from your site, add the lines, then upload the editted file.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Thank you to everyone. I have an email in to my host about it since there isn't on in my root file. I am afraid of screwing it up.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

test
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Ssanf on most servers you can just create a file called .htaccess and drop in into any directory you want to. You don't always have to place it in the root directory. The hard part is if you only have ftp access you create the file and because it's called .htaccess you can't view it. It's easier if you have shell access.

OK, with my host it was real easy.

I had to go to the control panel and click the link to some indian do-hicky (apache that is) and fill in the blank place with html and htm and add something about a waiter (server) in the other place and it was done!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread