Question Has PPC ---> CPA gotten too competitive for the newbie?
    Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask this question as a newbie, just starting out, and wanting to get into an Internet Marketing niche that will be very profitable and fun.

I have been doing a lot of reading for the last couple of months, and there are so many people talking about the money to be made in PPC to CPA lead generation.

For those of you with PPC experience out there, and those of you with CPA Lead Generation experience, do you think that the market is still abundant enough to make a good living from? Or, do you think it's grown so competitive that making a profit is highly unlikely?

Thank you in advance for reading my question.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Personally I think it is too difficult for a newbie.

Not only that but Google is banning people that run certain offers such as biz opp and rebills quite regularly.

They ban your whole account when they do this. Gmail, adwords, everything.

You have to be on top of what can get you banned, and do a whole lot of precautions to keep from getting destroyed. Plus the players in this field are hardcore. They will have bots click your ads and you need to be able to avoid them.

ABW Ambassador
    Those PPC affiliates spending $100K per month to net $50K per month will NOT let you enter their niche. They will spend $1K or more per month to crush you like a bug.

They have special deals with the merchant/OPM that give them a permanent competitive advantage.

It is not a level playing field.

Question Two more questions:
    Ok, so we're dealing with a very unfair, un-level playing field here.

1st Followup question: Assuming that I went ahead as a newbie, and entered this niche, what would I have to do to prepare myself?

2nd Question: If I looked for a safer alternative, are there any others where I can make as much money? What are they?

Again, thank you for your insights.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo7
    Ok, so we're dealing with a very unfair, un-level playing field here.
    I don't know if I would call it unfair. Think about how you yourself do business. If Google is accounting for 60% of your sales and all others 40%, where do you spend most of your time and money? With Google of course.

I do not think the common set-up, in which higher earning affiliates get a higher commission, is unfair or prohibitive to a newbie entering the arena. It just means they will have to start slower.

1st Followup question: Assuming that I went ahead as a newbie, and entered this niche, what would I have to do to prepare myself?
    Plan to start slow especially if you don't have much money to lose. The others cannot "crush" you. You can and will have a place in the results. It may mean you are spending $20 a day to make $10 but they cannot crush you. Get involved in numerous niches so that you are not putting all your eggs in one basket. If you can make enough to live off of, then you can keep going.

Run your ads only at the highest converting times to get best results OR look for times of day when there are few ads running and bid low.

A $1.00 bid at 6pm may get you the 20th spot
    A $0.50 bid at 3am may get you #7

Conversions won't be as high and traffic will be lower but at least you stand a chance at that.

Be prepared to test, test, and test some more. It's going to be time-consuming and tiresome, but keep testing. Try to beat them with ad quality and landing page quality. Offer a real site with real content and people will find you.

2nd Question: If I looked for a safer alternative, are there any others where I can make as much money? What are they?
    I don't fully understand this question unfortunately. Can you elaborate?

I hope that is of some help.

Most importantly is have some fun with this. You first $100 day and $200 day etc. will be a blast!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Matt,

Thanks very much for the words of encouragement. I like your idea of starting slow and learning. I am considering using Tracking202, so tracking/testing should hopefully be effective. I think the most important thing to do is first determine which keywords are converting, expand on them, and pause the ones that aren't converting. Then, split test Ads/LP's for best effect.

I think that the problem will come when I try to start scaling up my Ad Spending. When the SuperAffiliates see me spending $500/day on Adwords/YSM, etc., then they'll start messing with me, according to the other guys. (I'm only guessing at the spending amount).

Any words of wisdom how to defend myself when that happens?

Also, what is the "special" deal that the SuperAffiliate has with the Merchant/OPM? Can you speculate?

Thanks for your insights!

ABW Ambassador
    >>what is the "special" deal that the SuperAffiliate has with the Merchant/OPM?

Very simple > they pay them MORE. Helps their ROI.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I think that the problem will come when I try to start scaling up my Ad Spending. When the SuperAffiliates see me spending $500/day on Adwords/YSM, etc., then they'll start messing with me, according to the other guys. (I'm only guessing at the spending amount).

Any words of wisdom how to defend myself when that happens?
    It only means that you are doing things right so why would you change anything at that point?

Will they "mess" with you? Probably. Good. You stay focused on what you did to get there and don't worry about them other to view them as a competitor that you want to beat. They have to worry about a lot of other people too if they are going to worry about you.

Also, what is the "special" deal that the SuperAffiliate has with the Merchant/OPM? Can you speculate?
    When you are spending $500 on ads for a single merchant, you will fall into that pool or at least close. If you are sending a lot of sales, merchants will give you an enhanced commission. If an affiliate is making a 35% commission and you are making 25% it gives them more room to spend more since their margins are higher.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

I see, thanks for shedding some light on the situation, Matt. You've been a big help.

Anyone else have any inputs?

Actually, I do have a couple more questions:

1. How do you defend against the Bots that fraudulantly click on your ads?

2. Matt, would you mind if I contacted you directly?

You're a novice at PPC. Even with a level playing field, you're not going to be able to compete with the pros. They know what works and what doesn't. They know how to write ads. They know which keywords to bid on. They know which negative keywords to use to eliminate useless impressions and improve their CTR and placement. They have analytics in place to track results and adjust bids.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yes, but does that mean that as a novice that I can't start off small, with a low daily spend; and then within a short period of time (within, say, a couple of weeks) start to break even? And then within, say, 2-3 months, learn enough to start scaling up the daily spend? And then, say, within 6 months, make enough profit to actually make a living?

I realize that this is all hypothetical, but what I'm suggesting is a slow, methodical approach of learning the business as I grow. I'm not really suggesting that I compete at the level of the Super Affiliates right off the bat. But, I think I could learn enough in 6 months to give them a run for their money, don't you?

I don't see why you couldn't gain some kind of eventual success if you can find a ppc niche to start out with that isn't oversaturated and over competitive. become an expert in that - move on to another.

The 'pros' may have a lot more money , but they may be dividing it a lot more ways, along with their time - than you will be.

Question So, how do I proceed with CAUTION?
    So, instead of telling me that I should just give up, how about telling me how to fully armour myself, and defend myself?

andbeyond wrote: You have to be on top of what can get you banned, and do a whole lot of precautions to keep from getting destroyed.
    Please tell me a little bit about how to prepare for battle?

As always, thank you for your insights.

Interest here as well
    I am interested in two different questions that were brought up and not answered.

First, what are (or the best resource to find out) the best ways to make sure you do not get the beat down by Google and/or competitors. The original statement was unclear as to who was doing the beating.

Second, is there a mechanism to defend against Bot attacks with regards to your ads.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread