ABW Ambassador
    I have to admit I was a but surprised tonight.

I saw the thread in Sierra Trading Post where Mike was incorrectly giving Andy a hard time about ebates and MMM.

Andy said they had temrinated MMM a while back and well you know me..... Off I go to ebates to look at the merchant list.

Holy Cow AffiliateBatMan. There was a wad of coupon only sites like I have never seen before!

I have myself said on many occasions that our efforts in education have been very ineffective overall but seeing the many coupon only sites makes me think otherwise. OK I said it!

There is still a long way to go, but many of the sites that are coupon only never openly speak here but you can be assured they visit, have realized much of the concerns and falicies of parasites and the BS spin concerning networks telling them parasites are in compliance.

It does seem many merchants (some I never would have expected to) are taking action!

To the merchants still partenring with MMM and other parasites - don't be fooled into paying commissions to parasites and networks on orders that were already yours in the first place! If you want to give money away - send me some!

** Have you asked for change? **

Edited a dissertation .... will leave it at ...

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

There are many merchants that come here and read, but don't publicly post here that take action but don't come here and announce it.
    Many times merchants who don't come here are knocked, but there are many good merchants out there that have never posted here.
    There are lots of affiliates that are active here that in the course of doing business talk to merchants about the issues in a calm rational manner and get the point across.
    I hear so many affiliates saying they don't want merchants contacting them, don't want them calling them but you know what, things like that open doors for the opportunity to talk to them about issues that are concerning you.
    I would say to all affiliates, welcome contact with your merchants, you can make a huge difference!

"... welcome contact with your merchants, you can make a huge difference!"

Yup, there is no better way to let them know what issues are important and find out where they stand on how to conduct business. And the ones that don't want to talk to me . . . can do without my traffic, thank you.

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    Edited a dissertation .... will leave it at ...

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko_

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli_</font></p><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please eludicate your thoughts.... you must, you must...

Allen

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Connie Berg:
    I would say to all affiliates, welcome contact with your merchants, you can make a huge difference!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More than that, you are the reason for a merchant to have an affiliate program to begin with...

The only way a merchant's program really grows is by getting and acting on it's affiliate's input.

Any affiliate that does not welcome open communication with their merchants is missing out...IMO

<font face="Arial" size="2">Andy Rodriguez, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services</font>
    <font size="2" face="Arial">E: doc@andyrodriguez.com | P: (305) 412-3512 | AIM &amp; MSN: AffiliateDoctor | ICQ: 175010
    www.andyrodriguez.com - Get on my team, sign up for my newsletter, learn and earn!</font>

<font size="2" face="Arial">Programs Managed - Join Now! >> Superstore-Electronics.com | SurplusComputers.com | BestForeignParts.com | 5DollarSoftware.com | BettyMills.com | <a href=http://www.krookedstix.com/shop_affiliate.htm>KrookedStix.net</a></font>

Does anyone know how often the ebates merchant list gets updated? I always check it before adding new merchants or looking for ones to drop. Several times I dropped a merchant on the list and soon after read a post that they dropped ebates.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

We can only hope that this is a powerful new trend developing. I do know that merchants and AMs read ABW regularly, yet they aren't registered, and never post. Some companies have policies against posting in public forums, but they DO still keep up with the issues via ABW.

Affiliate concerns and issues do get the attention they deserve here at ABW, even if the powers that be operate behind the scenes. The message is getting out. I only hope it continues to do so, and merchants realize this is an issue that isn't going to go away. The smart ones won't allow their company to be associated with something in a "gray area" that could possibly be explosive in the future, with many negative ramifications for their company.

Andy

<span class="gs_small"><font color="red">I built the site with the page that had the link to the merchant. I optimized it. It was my traffic that clicked the link, it was my link, and I'm the one who sold the product. So why are the PARASITES getting the commission?</font></span>

Whether they read ABW or not, I think most merchants realize that MMM and other similar programs don't add value for the merchant.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    "Whether they read ABW or not, I think most merchants realize that MMM and other similar programs don't add value for the merchant."

I agree that they should Michael, but I want to point to a large percentage that still have no clue.

I get calls every day from affiliate programs that have NO active manager. They are largely understaffed and hope the program will somehow run itself. The president or director of marketing peaks in once a week or sometimes they have a very low level admin type just answering emails or doing occasional duties.

When the owners or presidents of these companies call me - the ones that are PERSONALLY in charge of the aff program, because they have no one to do it - they have never heard of parasites, ABW ,MMM or anything. They are running the company, wear numerous hats and don't even know who they are partered with.

Some programs have the online mareting manager who is also doing PPC, and many other duties overseeing the affiliate program. These people also don't have time to keep in touch with the issues and don't really know what's going on.

That's why I think it's important for affiliates to contact the company. Many times they are so busy they are not reading these forums and don't really know unless someone tells them. Don't assume they all know and don't assume they all have a good full-time manager because many programs don't.

Give them the benefit of the doubt and talk to them. They can't fix it if they didn't know it was broken. And I promise you there are a TON that just don't know. If you find an AM that seems to know and just doesn't care - then that's one to walk away from maybe - AFTER trying to communicate and asking for change.

Linda Buquet 714.754.1280 :: Catalyst eMarketing Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Merchants!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Any affiliate that does not welcome open communication with their merchants is missing out...IMO ~Andy
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to derail the thread, especially since it's about some progress being made, but this has to be answered.

With just one exception, my best results (results = The Revenue) come from programs that don't make any special effort to communicate--and that don't give me any reason to need to talk to them either.

Most programs I'm in that don't fit the above description haven't been worth the disk space their pages take up, for one reason or another. The salt in the wound is that I KNEW they'd be duds, even uberduds, but certain AMs (not just you) conned me into touching them anyway! *Grumble mumble*

There's a couple of exceptions, but they're just that--*exceptions.*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They can't fix it if they didn't know it was broken. ~Linda <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yikes!! If they don't even know if something is broken then they're not a program I want to be a part of!

Some people like to do "Resto" and there's even sites dedicated to that, but personally I want a car that runs perfectly right when I get it. Same with affiliate programs--I don't want to deal with them until they've ALREADY ridden all the Clue Trains which I find to be important. Why refine sugar yourself when you can just get the ready-to-use kind in the first place?

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    With just one exception, my best results (results = The Revenue) come from programs that don't make any special effort to communicate--and that don't give me any reason to need to talk to them either. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>For me, it's been just the opposite. I get the best results from merchants that I have an active dialog with. I talk to them, find out what their goals are, what they want to see from affiliates, and do my best to provide it. If there are areas where their affiliate program needs improvements, they've always very open to make them. If I have special needs to be able to promote them, they're always quick to do what they can to help.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Most merchants have online sites because everyone in their industry has one...most are clueless about webpage design, site navigation and shopping carts...they think it's easy to just put up a site and the money will roll in.

Most merchants sell way to many products on their sites...too many choices equal no choice being made...I don't know what the optimum number is but 4 to 8 items is close to it.

But on the other hand, if your site is simply a directory of a zillion products, like eBay or Amazon and you get enough visitors, you will sell a good amount of stuff.

I think it works both ways, some merchant contact is good, and then if the merchant is making both of you money why waste time kibbutzing.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread