The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I still get excited
    As you guys know, I have been at this a long time. But, still any time there is a sale of $1000 or more or a commisison over $100 I still get excited, I suppose because there aren't enough of them.

For you old timers, do you still get excited when you see a large sale...How large does that sale have to be for you to get excited or are you so jaded that no matter how big the sale is doesn't matter.

(I suppose relatively newbies can post too if you want)
    Mike
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

I made a huge sale with a $503 commission. I never believe it until the money is actually deposited into my bank account. I've had too many reversals and weird cancellations to get too excited about anything until the money actually hits my account. I just saw that the money was deposited yesterday : )
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

First sale on a new site always feels good too, even if the commission is less than it costs to buy a cup of coffee.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

15 years and counting
    I used to get very excited by huge sales. I've seen some incredible ones, wondering how people can fork so much money on a credit card.
    I noticed these last few years, such sales from major merchants, major networks, are not reported anymore. Seems like they are skimmed.
    I'm glad this not happening with my indies. Commissions over $100 are quite common for some of my merchants.
    My latest big one paid for one sale by a network came not so long ago from Affiliate Future for $630

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Dam - I'm promoting the wrong stuff! LOL - If I see a commission for $20 or more, I'd get excited. :-)

Congrats on the nice one, Mike - And Zeus, a $630.00 commission is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Congrats to you, too!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Dam - I'm promoting the wrong stuff! LOL - If I see a commission for $20 or more, I'd get excited. :-)

Congrats on the nice one, Mike - And Zeus, a $630.00 commission is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Congrats to you, too!
    Yeap, definitely agree I still get excited over any sales, just depends how loud my yippee gets according to dollar amount. lol $630 wouldn't be yippee tho, that would be a picking me up off the floor after I've had a heart attack probably lol

Again, Congratulations Zeus can't even imagine that happening with me. You've definitely got this all figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    $630 wouldn't be yippee tho, that would be a picking me up off the floor after I've had a heart attack probably lol
    lol, moi aussi! The largest I ever had was $250 & I walked around grinning like an idiot all day. Never got close to that again, although had a couple of $XXX. Have seen some sales with higher $XX reversed, errr, excuse me..."corrected." Congrats and thanx Zeus re: skimming.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Congrats to all we have had huge commissions! Wowzee!

I have to agree about the first sale for new sites. Nothing feels like it and perhaps that is part of the fun. I also agree with Rexanne, that I may also be promoting the wrong stuff... dang... $630 commish? That is awesome! I have however looked at other niches, but I think I wouldn't know how to promote them, lol.

15 years and counting
    My last 20 commissions this morning at LinkShare ($0.00 excluded)
    My last 20 commissions at an other network
    $16.77
    $06.94
    $35.96
    $35.96
    $42.04
    $09.99
    $27.90
    $08.47
    $33.73
    $07.23
    $11.94
    $12.94
    $03.99
    $35.96
    $12.90
    $49.95
    $35.96
    $29.99
    $13.96
    $56.25
    And my commissions for my indies this morning are all between $45 and $265

It took me 10 years to find the merchants converting at LinkShare. It takes time to find them but it doen't mean it will last for ever. And then you'll see the commission amount shrinking and more and more commissions in the non-commissionable report. Then, you'll have to start with new merchants. It will work for a while, then you'll get an email changing the terms of your agreement...

So, guess which merchants I like to push.
    Purplebear, do you think I get exited looking at my LinkShare reports? I'm happy to see sales. It means somebody is buying. Imagine the number of sales you need to make a nice living. I must admit they are not all like these but I have a hard time finding any decent one anymore.
    Yes, Rexanne. It pays to promote the right stuff and it's not more work. You still have honest merchants willing to pay well their affiliates. (Don't look at the major national brands)

Heck as a merchant "I" get excited by a $1000 sale, it only happens about once a year. Funny thing is we still have to process the credit card so we have to contain ourselves until it clears and our bookkeeper does her detective work on the info provided. We had two $500 sales lately that were no good because of fraud (because of the Radisson Hotel ID theft,) now that makes for a downer of a day, fortunately we caught it before shipping.

Zeus: Fortunately, with whom I've chosen to partner, my list looks more like your second list.

And I have one merchant there (big name) who has consistently paid me on $500+ orders this year.

And Oranges: Yup. I still grin when the nice ones roll in.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

15 years and counting
    I don't know if it's because merchants are doing a better job at checking their payments but I'm not seeing so many void sales for fraudulent credit card.

I'm sure Gonzalez is not the only one on the loose. Albert Gonzalez, the biggest credit card hacks of the decade — totaling 170 million accounts.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    This affiliate is excited too with a $6k sale, $600 commission with a 96 day tracked cookie. And, not being reversed either as sales over 1k do happen often at EF/EOF.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Individdual sales at EBAY used to be pretty consistent in the $500 and up range. And once in awhile you had a $1,000 plus deal. But they no longer care if you make a sale.
    All they are interested in is quality traffic.

Amazaon used to get some big pops. Walmart was great for $300 plus sales, but then
    they all seemed to end up in the non-commissioned file. Drugstore.com did okay too.

And Overstock was a cash cow for awhile ... now it is a black hole.

As Zeus says, you have to choose your poison very carefully. In today's economy, getting sales is tougher than it was, but still you can do it. The problem is making a profit from them, considering at least half, never get reported or your commission is hijacked by the merchant or some toolbar hack.

A good SEO listing for the right keyword(s) combined with the right merchant can make you some decent money ... but it is not easy to do.

The garbage bin is full of spagetti that did not stick.

I still get excited over big commissions, although I must admit that I get more excited at how big my daily total is.

As some of you know, I always track my performance using a spreadsheet. Every morning I check to see how I did the previous day, and of course if it was a really nice day, I'll check the details to see how many sales, and how big.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    The best individual transaction affiliate commission I've received in the last couple of months was $125 from a $500 purchase. As a merchant, I've seen multiple high $xxx and low $x,xxx sales the last few months. The best ever was a $25K sale to the government, but that was several years ago. That one felt pretty doggone good, though!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge - JRami
    This affiliate is excited too with a $6k sale, $600 commission with a 96 day tracked cookie. And, not being reversed either as sales over 1k do happen often at EF/EOF.
    Thanks for reminding everybody how cookies are important to track these big sales and be paid. More than 3 months, that's what it takes quite often. Congrats to the merchant and affiliate.

Heck, I'm just glad to hear Zeus say there are some good merchants with LinkShare, though they're hard to find.

I've had such terrible luck with LinkShare that I've never worked hard enough to find them, I guess. Plus, my guess would be that 80% or more of what I hear here about LinkShare is so negative that I've just not looked at them much the last couple of years.
    Generate more fake news.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Thanks for reminding everybody how cookies are important to track these big sales and be paid. More than 3 months, that's what it takes quite often. Congrats to the merchant and affiliate.
    Heck yeah! We just had one go 50 days, which is very unusual this time of year. It is somewhat more common around Christmas though.

As a merchant, I get excited every time I see an affiliate make their first sale or get our 2nd sale bonus or earn some other bonus.

I get really happy every time I send a payment to someone who joined the program in 2007 and just made 4 sales this month too!

All sales should be exciting, although it is kind of fun when you start losing track of them all too
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

I don't get too excited over any individual sales, but I sure love seeing big numbers day after day on ShareASale's Day At A Glance report!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread