Keyword Ranking Issues
    I've come to the realization that the keyword ranking sites/software that I have been using is not very accurate. For example, I've been building backlinks for a certain keyphrase, and the other day the keyword ranking tool said it was #13. The very next day it said it's #36, so I manually went to Google to check for myself, and it's not even close to #36. It's actually on page 1, 7 spots down (#7).

So I went and tried another keyword ranking tool to see what it says, and it says the same as the first, that it's in spot #36. So then I load up another browser to check manually, and it's showing #7.

What is going on here? I thought these keyword ranking tools were pretty accurate, or maybe they are checking something else I'm not aware of? Any insights would be appreciated.

BTW, I used the Mike's Marketing Tool Keyword ranking website and the SEO Firefox addon (Rank Checker) and they both same the same thing (spot #36). So why do I see it in spot #7 when I go to Google and type in it?

Couple of possible reasons. They could be looking at a different datacenter.

Also, I've noticed that the IP you search from MAY have something to do with the results. G is experimenting with showing more local results higher.

Or, did you perhaps "favor" your site using Google's social tools? Results can be customized by the searcher now.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Also, I've noticed that the IP you search from MAY have something to do with the results. G is experimenting with showing more local results higher.
    yea - I slowly realized the Google has a default setting where they will show what you click on higher and higher. For a while I thought I was an SEO genius!!

There was some way (can't recall) that I was able to disable Google filtering based on my previous clicks. This returned things to normal/accurate search results.

Quote Originally Posted by OTProf
    yea - I slowly realized the Google has a default setting where they will show what you click on higher and higher. For a while I thought I was an SEO genius!!
    This makes sense. Thanks for the response, now I just have to figure out how to turn that off...

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread