One of my sites has a fairly high Google page rank, including my links page, which is pr4. I no longer look for sites to link to, but I get a lot of link requests every week. If the site that is requesting a link looks okay and fits well with my site's theme, I'll gladly link to them. Anyway, here is my rant.

<rant>
    Recently, I've received a couple link requests from other sites who already put up a link to my site. the link to my site in both cases was listed in an off-topic area from what my site is, and looked like this:

www.mysite.com

The sites requesting the link, however, were very specific about where their links should be placed on my site and what the link text should be. I would think that if you were going to have a links page that'll have any meaning to your site visitors, you should at least try to make it something that makes sense to them as far as categories are concerned (Don't put blue widgets on your red widgets page), is useable, to them, and also has value to the site you are linking to.

If you can't do at least this much, then you aren't building anything of value for anybody but yourself, so don't bother asking for a link from me!!!
    </rant>

There, I feel better now
    Sorry if I offended anyone, but I doubt the sites in question are ABW members.

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe you should politely enlighten them. They may be new at this. Then again, they may not be. You never know.

Wow, that link you placed has a pagerank of six. Not bad for having practically nothing on it.
    I forgot what I was doing.

In both instances, I sent them a polite e-mail requesting placement of my links on pages in their respective categories, as well as requesting that they use my link text and description that I've set up on a "link to us" page. The link text and description is set up for them to just copy and paste to their site. I haven't heard back from either one of them yet. I don't think this is an unreasonable request, given the fact that is what they wanted me to do for them.

I believe in competition as much as the next guy. That said, I know I've never suffered any loss from having reciprocal links to competitor's sites or sites with a similar theme as mine. If anything, I've enjoyed a fair amount of traffic from reciprocal links.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wow, that link you placed has a pagerank of six. Not bad for having practically nothing on it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just put that site up today.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    A worthwhile rant Greg as traffic & PR thieves are a dime a dozen in the affiliate world.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Greg, you are joking about the pr and that site going up just today, right? Is it really your site?

Nah, mysite.com would have to be taken.
    I forgot what I was doing.

ABW Ambassador
    "traffic & PR thieves are a dime a dozen in the affiliate world. "

Not sure how somebody linking to Greg's site is a traffic and PR thief. When you do reciprocal links there is benefit to both, depending on PR, links out and other factors, 1 might benefit a little more.

If the one requesting the link exchange gives specifics on where and how they want there link to appear, then they should honor your request as well, assuming you don't have a problem with both sites linking to each other.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    seems Greg has found this to be true in some request cases (zilch reciprocal value).... "Not sure how somebody linking to Greg's site is a traffic and PR thief."
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Greg, you are joking about the pr and that site going up just today, right? Is it really your site?

Nah, mysite.com would have to be taken. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Definitely joking, although I see that it really does go someplace. Uh Oh...Haiko, I really wasn't trying to post anybody's site links here! It was an accident.

I've always used "mysite.c*m" in descriptions on boards and what not to keep from posting my actual URL. Some of us are sensitive to posting site URL's because of site theives. Although a thief with any brains would probably go to a search engine and look for high ranking sites there anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> seems Greg has found this to be true in some request cases (zilch reciprocal value).... "Not sure how somebody linking to Greg's site is a traffic and PR thief."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as zilch reciprocal value. I would call it very low value, though. It seems obvious that all these requestors are after is increasing their own page rank, which isn't bad in and of itself. The only thing that is bad is the fact that they seemingly plan on giving very little or nothing back in return.

As I said before, site linking - either their way or the way I requested it to be done by them - costs them nothing and could only be beneficial to both sites. But requesting it to be done a certain way for them, and then not being willing to reciprocate in like fashion makes you wonder what they are up to.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If the one requesting the link exchange gives specifics on where and how they want there link to appear, then they should honor your request as well, assuming you don't have a problem with both sites linking to each other. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If they're initializing the link request, they should be following your guidelines first.
    I say we hit it hard and we hit it fast with a major, and I mean "major" leaflet campaign.
    Arnold J. Rimmer : Jupiter Mining Corporation

http and a telephoto
    90% of the "link requests" I get are from people that didn't look at my site at all and are using an automated program pulling links from Google or other SE's and then spidering and spamming.

How do I know? Most of the sites they are requesting a link from *are* links directories, if they went to the site they can submit a link!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 90% of the "link requests" I get are from people that didn't look at my site at all and are using an automated program pulling links from Google or other SE's and then spidering and spamming.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I get a lot of these too. By their "canned presentation" it is usually obvious that they never visited my site past the home page. I usually just delete these as soon as I get them.

the ones the burn me up are when the link to me is 'hidden' in a frame so the Se's will never see it - worse the link TO the links page is hidden in a frame so the SE never see the link page

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread