Exclamation Advertiser bypassing sale tracking by using Live Chat
    Hi,

One advertiser is apparently bypassing sale tracking by making the sale via his Online Chat.

I used today advertisers' site Live chat to make questions about the service offered and so the operator using Liverperson system after solved my doubt offered to make the order via chat... so I pretended to accepted it just to see what happen.

Operator asked me a basic data to create an account (user/pass, email, name, phone, company) so he created the account to me (that has tracking information) and asked me to update credit card information on account - I lied that was having problems entering credit card number and he insisted asking to send Credit card information by unsecure chat - I refused and he insisted like a crazy.

So the point is that the advertiser is bypassing tracking, should I contact CJ about this? I have the entire chat transcript.

There is also a chance of the third-party operator be an bad affiliate collecting commissions without advertiser knows.

I'll update his topic with the advertiser name in a near future to do not affect CJ investigate if the case.

Should I contact CJ, advertiser or both?

Thanks
    [URL="tinyurl.com/p4wpj"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]AdWords [/COLOR]Community[/URL] | [URL="tinyurl.com/hphom"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]Commission Junction [/COLOR]Community[/URL] | [URL="http://tinyurl.com/nh6fc"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]AdSense[/COLOR] Community[/URL]

They don't care.

The only thing you can do is to NOT use any merchants that have live chat on their sites.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    They don't care.

The only thing you can do is to NOT use any merchants that have live chat on their sites.
    Or, partner with merchants who use live chat to help close and sale and not make the sale themselves. We have 2 merchants (1 live and 1 in the works) who have live chat but do not take orders this way, online only.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Who is the merchant?
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by jclaydon
    Who is the merchant?
    It's our newest one, Potter's Gifts and Best Costume Site.

Should I contact CJ or this could cause problems for me?

Is this a direct violation of Advertiser Service Agreement?
    [URL="tinyurl.com/p4wpj"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]AdWords [/COLOR]Community[/URL] | [URL="tinyurl.com/hphom"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]Commission Junction [/COLOR]Community[/URL] | [URL="http://tinyurl.com/nh6fc"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]AdSense[/COLOR] Community[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by MicroMag

You could try but I doubt they will do anything about it.

It's a gray area from what I can tell. Who is the merchant that is doing this?
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    It's a gray area from what I can tell. Who is the merchant that is doing this?
    I is NOT a"gray area" - it is outright theft of commissions!
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I is NOT a"gray area" - it is outright theft of commissions!
    This wasn't a philosophical question, it was a question addressing the advertiser service agreement, specifically in CJ. Depending on the merchant, these can vary a lot.

Hence the question, who is the merchant?

It is possible to track sales via LiveChat...almost all chat systems let you pass in custom variables from the chat initiation code. If a site tracks the affiliate ID in their own cookie, this could be passed into the chat, where the chat rep can see it...and then post it manually offline directly, or in an automatic report from the chat system their AM can see.

That said...the merchant would/should probably highlight this quite a bit to their affiliates. Just saying it is technically possible...probably very unlikely though, not arguing at all with the OP. (I don't understand why more merchants don't integrate affiliate tracking deeply within all their sales channels, outside of the shopping cart.)

Hence the question, who is the merchant?
    As I described in my post:

I'll update his topic with the advertiser name in a near future to do not affect CJ investigate if the case.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    The decision is the merchants if they want to suppress the affiliate commission if live chat is used to close the sale. I personally do not have programs that use live chat to close sales and do not feel the affiliate should lose commission if chat closes.

MicroMag not sure CJ could do something unless it is specifically spelled out in the contract. I would however, contact the merchant and ask that they disclose that this is happening. Doubtful if they will and I would drop their program. You can file a report to CJ so that is documented. Feel free to post the information here: http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=470

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread