Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    AC Compressor on Last Leg
    Wife calls me to say she hears a noise when she turns on the A/C in the Durango. It blows cool and all that. I opened the hood and turned on the A/C and I hear what sounds like a bad bearing or two in the compressor pulley. Sounds like a weekend project. Ofcourse, I will have to pay a place to have the system discharged first and then recharged. Maybe I will see how much my local mechanic will charge to do the job. A replacement unit runs about $300.

Check eBay for a new replacement if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a while. They seem to be a lot more affordable than Advance or NAPA. You are right, you will need the discharge and recharge so that adds to the cost a little. While you're at it, might be time for a belt also. Shouldn't be too hard to get at though. If I remember right, there is a fair amount of room under the hood of a Durango.

Good suggestion for ebay. The belt was replaced about 1 year ago so not sure on that. And yes, lots of room in there.

I think the biggest challenge with buying on ebay is getting the right fit/model. My Durango has front and rear A/C so the compressor is slightly different. Some of the auctions specify with and without rear A/C, but some fail to mention it even when it says it replaces the original part number.

Some of the bigger guys on there have 800 lines. Call and see if they list 2 part numbers or just 1 for your particular year. Don't forget Bing cashback if available to save you a bit more.

I also read that it's also a good idea to replace the Filter Dryer and Accumulator/Orifice Tube while replacing the compressor.

To me, it boils down to how long you plan on keeping the vehicle. Since it still has the A/C charged, it makes a difference. If it was totally discharged with a leak, and pulling air in somewhere, then I would replace these. But, since that isn't the case...it just depends on your tolerance of risk. It isn't that much more to do it, but it adds on to your total cost some. In the end it is balance of potential cost/potential reliability.

I emailed one of the big suppliers on ebay and they have a new compressor, accumulator, and filter dryer that fits my car.

$165 - compressor
    $45 - accumulator/filter dryer
    $20 - shipping

All of my local auto parts stores are selling the compressor for $320.

Not sure what to think of it, but I used the car this weekend and the A/C compressor didn't make any sort of noise. I guess it's intermittent.

If I were you, I would hold off doing the surgery until the spring if at all possible. Leaks often occur during the winter.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread