Copying someone else articles to add content
    Is it bad to copy someone else articles to add content to your blog?. I know you can copy articles from Ezinearticles keeping the author name and links. Do you damage your credibility by doing that?

I don't see much of a benefit copying articles from other sites.

Apart from the possibility of copyright infringement, you don't know how many other sites have used the same article - could be in the thousands, which simply makes it duplicate content.

From personal experience, I find my own words more powerful.

The best way to attract readers is pick a topic you know something about, and, more importantly, something you enjoy. Even the oddest niche will attract readers if the content is interesting & relevant.

Previously published articles only add value to a site if they're completely targeted & relevant.

Just my two cents worth

http and a telephoto
    You can request to syndicate someone's rss feed. Straight up copying is plagiarism. Syndicating a targeted rss feed with the links back to the original source is ok. Usually done by taking an excerpt and linking to the full text on the originating site. I have sites that aggregate information from many sources, some are the excerpts, some are the authors full articles posted with their permission, and some are full custom articles.

If you use the article directories you need to keep all the links and resource box intact. You can do a search of a couple of sentences to see if the article is already "out there" and saturated. What would hurt your credibility is if you didn't leave the author's information there.

It actually isn't hard to find people to submit articles for inclusion on quality sites so they get the exposure and backlinks.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Original unique content is the "key". You can't go further by copying other articles. If you really need to use a previously published content, don't forget to ask owner of content for permission and put links back to original source.
    Serkan Kutlubay
    myhosting.com - Affiliate Manager
    serkank/[@]/softcom.com
    myhosting: Private Forum, Shareasale, CJ, high commission, parasite free - Join Now!

Loxly gives some very good advice on the proper way to add content from others (rss feeds are great)

Speaking from my own publishing experience, original words carry real weight in search rankings. I've been an active publisher for a few years now - while my articles/posts may not be the best written articles (!), and there may be better quality elsewhere, steady updates have resulted in high rankings. And readership.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    ... steady updates have resulted in high rankings. And readership.
    I don't know why it's so hard for me to remember that and to work accordingly. I guess one of my basic character flaws is lack of self-discipline. From the ancient days of Aesop and his tortoise/hare story -- slow and STEADY wins the race.

Hardest thing for me to do is to daily publish new posts/pages to my many blog sites. Yet I can see a direct correlation between more traffic and more sales on those days and weeks I simply throw together a half-decent, useful blog post.

Good advice, teezone. Thanks!
    Generate more fake news.

Thanks, you really give good advises. The problem is I am very slow write, but now I do not have more options, I think I have to speed up my writing. Thanks a lot.

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Bad idea: copying someone's text.
    Really bad idea: copying a merchant's text from their home page.

I think that every once in a while someone else said or did something amazing..... wouldn't the correct way if you wanted that on your site be.
    1. ask in writing ie email for permission
    2. obtain permission in writing
    3. publish the "saying" or what have you being super clear as to where that saying or action came from someone else, with a link to their original page to accompany it.
    I have yet to do that but If I were I think that would be the way I would go about it.....
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

I am horrified at the thought that somebody would just copy what i wrote, but actually you could have something there if you become an article site, maybe just of a particular niche.

like an ezinarticles but on your niche like wieselknowledge.com so then people who is in a wiesel niche would _love_ to have their articles on your pages

It's a huge problem!

Shoot, I've had it done to me - the guy was so damn audacious he not only copied it, he published a book with it.

The problem, of course, is that there are laws against this sort of thing, this is the US of A after all.

(1) Except as provided by clause (2) of this subsection, the copyright owner may elect, at any time before final judgment is rendered, to recover, instead of actual damages and profits, an award of statutory damages for all infringements involved in the action, with respect to any one work, for which any one infringer is liable individually, or for which any two or more infringers are liable jointly and severally, in a sum of not less than $750 or more than $30,000 as the court considers just. For the purposes of this subsection, all the parts of a compilation or derivative work constitute one work.

(2) In a case where ... the court finds, that infringement was committed willfully, the court in its discretion may increase the award of statutory damages to a sum of not more than $150,000. Source
    So you with at statutory damages of up to $150K, that should be a darn good reason not to copy other peoples work I'd say, besides the obvious - don't steal.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I thought he was talking about content that is allowed to be copied (keeping the credits in the article)? It's not stealing if you are pulling it from article sites that allow republishing to your site.

Is it any good? Well there is that alleged duplicate content punished from the mighty Google. The fact that you and perhaps a few thousand other people are all publishing the same crappy articles.

Which leads me to crappy article theory. Most of those article sites the content is so bad it's not worth copying anything even with permission. You want visitors to come BACK to your site. They read a few of these articles and probably will run for the hills.

If I find someone systematically copying my content, I usually file a DMCA complaint and have their site removed from the web.

There *are* some places that allow you to syndicate articles, and these are worth looking at if you need some filler material.

As for republishing RSS feeds.. well, it varies. Republishing the entire text is a no-no, republishing a summary feed that links to the main article on their site in more of a possibility, but it does no harm to ask.

But in the end, there's no substitute for writing something yourself!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    As for republishing RSS feeds.. well, it varies. Republishing the entire text is a no-no, republishing a summary feed that links to the main article on their site in more of a possibility, but it does no harm to ask.
    If the feed includes the entire article, it is assumed it is allowed to re-publish it with attribution that way. Wordpress by default is set to Summary and last 10 posts. News sites don't allow full text in their feeds. Other sites allow full text and don't require permission. It *is* good practice to always ask.

Ezine Articles and some of the other article sites have RSS feeds that you would think would include the full text with authors box, but they instead have excerpts. As webmasters get more savvy with their feeds they restrict the content that is allowed out so that if you are pulling their feed with a reader and want to see the full text you have to click to go to their sites. This is actually a good thing all around.
    But in the end, there's no substitute for writing something yourself!
    Agreed. But for some sites that are resource sites that aggregate information on a subject, you know have the ability to pull in content that you don't have time or staff to have written yourself and you can give exposure to writers whose work wouldn't otherwise be seen on a broad basis.

There are some bad article sites out there, and there are very good ones that have excellent articles that are prescreened before they are put live on the site. Check the quality of the articles and post ones that you learned something from yourself. The article sites aren't just full of text that has been "spun" anymore, there are some very good quality articles.

Duplicate content might apply but you also want to give your site readers actual information they are looking for without sending them all over the web to find it.

So, yes, you can get value from using properly attributed quality articles from article sharing sites, or you can put requests for articles in HARO or Blogger Link Up and get articles written just for you, or you can actually hire people at Elance or writers whose articles you enjoyed reading on the article sites.

There are positives and negatives to whatever you do, depending on *how* you do it and what *your* motives and expectations are.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

.. to bring up another point, not all RSS feeds are created equal.

Before using/installing a feed, you need to read the Terms of Use - many sites sites don't allow their feed to be used on commercial site (yes,
    affiliate sites would be considered commercial!).

I recently disabled my RSS feed as I saw some of my words appear on competitor sites in google search results - a little too close for comfort.

Last week I noticed a big publisher lose their rankings to another site, for their own original content. The 2nd site is better at SEO, and bumped the author out of the top spot for her own words. That has to hurt.

As Loxly said, webmasters need to restrict the feeds so they don't accidentally give away the farm.

A couple of thoughts....

1) Don't worry about your posts having to be really long. Short posts are great if they are informative and have some kind of value to your site's visitors.

2) If you like someone else's article...think about why you liked it....and write your own take on the topic. Maybe list a few pros and cons to a subject or tips on using a particular product. Lists don't take a ton of writing, but can still be informative and have keywords in them that will help you and your site. Lots of articles begin with "I read an article the other day that got me thinking about xyz....here's my take on it or here's what I think."

Best of luck,
    Sheri

I'll tell you something else that doesn't work too good and that's article writing software. by the time you are finished using that stuff, your articles will sound real impersonal and the amount of work you will be putting into using the software , well, you could have written the fresh content yourself.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread