Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I just went through the site review forum a bit. There are a jillion sites in there that aren't up, and possibly others who didn't seem to take the advice given them.

Just makes me wonder how many people got discouraged and gave up. I've gotten discouraged a little already. The waiting game is so hard. Search Engines take so long, and I've thought about other traffic methods. But that's just my current point of discouragement.

How many of you have gotten discouraged. How many thought about giving up, but didn't only to see the rewards finally come in?

Tell us your story.

Maybe this post is stupid, but hey, encouragement is good for us all.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    if your looking to quit your day job tomorrow, good luck, but if you keep making pages, learning how to optimize them, the sales may come but no telling when.

I took me 2 years before I started making consistent daily sales. But now this is my full time job without the 40 hour week and a boss!

ABW Ambassador
    I gave up once. I set about logging in to LS, CJ, etc. to close my accounts, as I had not managed to make any money at all over the course of five months.(I had taken the wrong approach at first)

But when I logged into CJ, there it was: a $26 commission. I know it's only a few bucks, but I cannot describe in words the shock and awe I felt at seeing some actual numbers where the zeros had been for so long. And the amazement at the auspiciousness of that occurring at that very moment, just when I had decided to throw in the towel.

SO I got back to work, and though it's been an uphill battle all along, uphill is uphill.

Don't give up; just try another approach. Then another and another if necessary.

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

Their is an old saying. I'm sure you've heard it. "Pride cometh before the fall" I found this to be true for me. I put up sites that I was determined to make succeed. I spent so much time on those sites and didn't make any money. I was very frustrated. But, I new giving up wasn't/isn't an option. Be willing to drop sites that aren't working and be willing to start new ones.

Using this attitude I am now on my way to making some okay money. Not quite a car payment yet, but it's a start (a new start)

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

Hey!

I started "playing around" in about 98 or so. I had created several little "make money" sites .... at the time it was more a hobby. I call it a hobby simply because I did not invest enough time and energy.

Then say around 2001 I decided to really buckle down, I was going to make a site that mattered and forget the cash. I knew if I would really be able to make any "real" money I would have to be able to be a good webmaster first.

So I started on a content site and started to create tons of great content that were unique to only my site. I stayed in this mode for about 9 months, mind you I had goals.... however the goals were focused on traffic ... not money.

Once I got the traffic .... I started on my first "commercial site" and the money started to come in. Six months later I quite my day job .... ;-)

It takes darn hard work ... honestly most people are not willing to invest the time and energy need to succeed and have high expectations.

- Be realistic

- Have goals (small weekly goals that are achieveable)

- and have fun ....

Do those things for several months and you will have success ;-)

Cheers,

Brian Johnson
    Seek and you shall find
    myrxforless.com | My Affiliate Programs | InkAffiliate.com

ABW Ambassador
    It's just easier to get up and go to the cubicle and exchange time/skills for nearly immediate financial gain than it is to be creative and self-reliant.

-----------------------------
    It's better to write something crappy that you can improve upon later than it is to write nothing. - Comedian Mike Myers

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Never thought of actually giving up despite early setbacks. Just imagining my worst fact*ry j*b was always enough to get me to keep typing!

Discouragement? Sure...I didn't know a thing about SEO when I started out! 0 hits, 2 hits, 1 hit... I ended up using PPC and paying for every click.

Also I seemed to attract deadbeat Linksnare merchants unerringly. So I ended up in the hole, because paying for clicks is only worthwhile if the merchant actually pays up!

But finally things started to come together. I learned how to get pages to rank well in Google, which allowed me to dump GoTo (now Overture). And I found CJ, which actually PAID UP what was owed instead of sending me into a never-ending circle of finger pointing (LS: "the merchant owes you!" Merchant: "Naw naw, the *network* owes you!" Net result: No pay!!)!

Due to these experiences with deadbeats, I KNOW that the only thing that really counts is this: WILL THE MERCHANT PAY! All else is pure horse fertilizer if the merchant never parts with the commissions. 100% parasite-free, non-cookie-stuffed nothing is still nothing! It's only after I confirm that there's NO reports of nonpayment on a merchant that I'm looking at, that I consider anything else.

As for other traffic methods, I would have recommended Inktomi but now they've screwed that up by changing it to that yahooverture program. So all I can say for now is wait for the Google updates, practice your SEO (and your sales spin, so that when traffic comes it'll BUY something) and come up with links into your site. Eventually everything should come together. When it does, you're rolling...

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Hang in there and learn what works and what doesn't. Do more of what does works and stop doing the things that don't. In time you'll see the green.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's just easier to get up and go to the cubicle and exchange time/skills for nearly immediate financial gain than it is to be creative and self-reliant. ~Weisinator <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BLEAGH...Actually these people around here (not you) who have recently been saying how much they like their j*b, and working with te*ms, motivated me to begin building a new Revenue site last night!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Have goals (small weekly goals that are achieveable)~Brian <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remembering that there's potentially Millions to be made in the long-term is also a great motivator...

lol, I had stopped working my sites, stopped looking at stats and then I got 3 commission checks all on the same day from LS. got me interested again

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> BLEAGH...Actually these people around here (not you) who have recently been saying how much they like their j*b, and working with te*ms, motivated me to begin building a new Revenue site last night!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leader: Do I know this person who motivated you?

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

ABW Ambassador
    Last month I was thinking on giving up, but then I decided to send some rough emails to some merchants telling them why and because of what. All of them were very astonished and asked me to stay because some changes will take place soon, e.g. change to private aff. programs, etc. The same day after my complaints the sale were rolling in and that stream lasts until then.

carneol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Leader: Do I know this person who motivated you?~Karl <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know one of them! But there was another one, too.

Yes, I thought of that person, too, when I saw a particular recent post. Ahhh, so it goes ...

---------

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's just easier to get up and go to the cubicle and exchange time/skills for nearly immediate financial gain than it is to be creative and self-reliant. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, there is a reason Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors. If by self-reliance you mean self-employed, then I am not self-reliant. However, I think it is unfair to say that working for someone else immediately means that you are not creative.

---------

^
    |
    |

Employee-variant Stockholm Syndrome

Leader:

---------

I think about giving up everytime I look at Mike & Charlies site!

SandraR
    <font face="Arial" size="1">ArtGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">AutoGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">BookGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">CleanGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">GameGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">GiftGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">PetGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1">
    </font><font size="1" face="Arial">| SSAN &amp; AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN &amp; Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Make something useful to your visitors and enjoyable to yourself, and you won't think about giving up. You won't be so dependent on getting something out of the search engines either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think about giving up everytime I look at Mike & Charlies site! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I think about giving up I look at their site, then my sites look *GREAT* again!

I think Mike should give up every time I look at his site.

A year ago I published a couple of sites, less than 30 pages total. Several months later, they started generating sales. Not much, a trickle.

Over the last few months I've published hundreds of thousands of pages.

I'm waiting...

(Not just waiting, working constantly, but waiting for traffic to kick in and sales to pick up.)

Will my cash run out so I have to get the dreaded J.O.B. again...???

No animals were harmed during the making of this avatar.

ABW Ambassador
    The Mrs is in maintenance mode only and I'm not developing any new sites. I do not like what I currently see in affiliate marketing and have serious doubts concerning most peoples ability to compete or get fairly rewarded for their efforts.

Parasites are expanding at an alarming rate and overwriting our cookies, Norton and many others are blocking images and links and spyware identification removal and cookie washers are becoming a standard part of pc's. And BTW, valueclicks (ala cj) cookies are listed as spyware (right or wrong) and not adware and the COC has been a complete farse with not a single statement being made in regard to multiple issues from an official COC representative. What have the networks done while all this continues? Oh yea push more parasites onto merchants, make them change their terms when caught overwriting to say they have a downloadable reminder type application and then continue business as usual, take away affiliate friendly features in their systems and finally wave the "in compliance" flag to merchants who question a particular parasite.

If you look further, you've got AM's encouraging PPC by giving out seed money, providing ready made keyword lists so that for a nickle an affiliate can have the opportunity to link directly to the merchants site and set a cookie. This while most domain bound affiliates are not alowed to use links from their own work (from the same page the ppc ad is invoked) to go directly to a merchants site and set a cookie. Is it ironic that many who support no cookie stuffing readily give out keyword lists for PPC? IMO it is..... My efforts both programatically and SEO wise of getting quality pages listed in top SE results is not worth "what a nickle would buy me in PPC" but would get me terminated as a domain bound affiliate - somebody can "BYTE" my ass.

You've got tools like webmerge where more and more people are tossing out significant amounts of pages to compete with. SE's already containing more results than a user would ever look at continue to add them and likely get pissed about it (this will be addressed in the future and more and more affiliate sites will be targeted by SE's as a result). There is also ready made scripts available for merchants that you can get for free and put up and this trend will continue.

The search engines - it's been apparent to me for some time that they are changing their algo's and are at a point with PPC being so profitable "for them" that they are now making changes to push affiliate sites further and further back into the results. Our hands are pretyt much tied here folks - you can't effectivly compete seo wise when the SE's deliberately push you back in the results.

I can't and won't turn my head and ignore these issues which have already have a major impact on the amount of earnings we derive from our efforts.

Parasite free merchants and their programs that used to produce are now so saturated with PCC and affiliates promoting them that their programs are now turning into complete dogs.

I've been promoting "promote parasite free merchants" for a long time for ethical reasons but the advantages they used to provide are now pretty much meaningless from a overall profitability standpoint IMO and while I'm ethical, I'm no fool either - profitability does still count. I have tons of promotion for Essential Apparel yet last month, we netted around $25 bucks for them while a little known independent with much less coverage kicked their ass back and forth and up and down. Promoting the same merchants as everyone else here it seems is no longer worth the efforts in many cases.

For the vast majority of merchants who aren't parasite free, who gives a rip about that ethical affiliates that are the majority of their program that don't produce any meaningfull results - this won't change fast "if at all folks". Just how many affiliates does a merchant need to effectively promote their products? Does a merchant need 100, 500, 1000 affiliates promoting them with datafeeds? How many PP merchants or parasite free merchants are considering this? This business is driven by greed at every step of the way and any industry that survives can only support so many greedy people - LOL. Can you say "deep do do"?

Affiliates - well....... most of these folks are as screwed up as the other elements of this industry. Even with a clear cut advantage in numbers making up ethical affiliates - those same people will never come together to impact change on any level thats measurable. Merchants have crappy terms - promote them, merchants partner with parasites - promote them, merchants continually pay late or bail and bilk affiliates yet show back up later - promote them. Yes, even ethical affiliates cut other affiliates throat every day IMO by their practices.

Abestweb - a breeding ground to learn and take advantage of the shady practices exposed on this board and to provide a sense of "false hope" that most will be able to easily earn significant amounts of monies in affiliate marketing. "A Page a day" may work for some but, I find it very humorous myself.

Does this board really represent "ethcial affiliate marketing" or is it a gathering area for all types of affiliates and merchants that provides earnings opportunities to Haiko? Much of our own success has been derived from participating and learning here and I am grateful for that but I won't mix my words here - I like Haiko for much of what he has done but am also stressed at much of what has and hasn't been done as well. His participation, influence and willingness to "meaningfully" speak out here has been dwindling for a long time IMO. Without getting into specifics - there seems to be a fairly large conflict of interest here IMO.

Add in sleezeball affiliates auto cookie setting and overwriting our cookies just like parasites and well it sure doesn't get any better.

The affiliate industry is evolving but not in a way that bodes well for most of us IMO and even TT with all of it's claims (but with statements of allowing parasitic merchants into it's fold) will not likely change things.

People right here on this board and Haiko directly have been stolen from quite some time. I recall numerous post concerning talks of suing networks and merchants and even a thread asking for $1 from affiliates to support the cause and not one legal action has ever resulted - LOL. I'd like to think TT will live up to what has been stated but the history of being directly stolen from hasn't been addressed and we don't need TT IMO to bring a meaningful action that has merits in this regard. The merits have existed for a very long time......

What has changed? It's only harder and harder to produce meaningful results from your efforts!

Anyone who has ever watched the markets knows they always discuss - what wil be the next killer app? The killer apps being developed in this industry are currently parasites, webmerge and ready made templates that merchants will make every opportunity to glutonize themselves with using. Killer apps seems an appropriate name in this case IMO too.

Keep building a page a day and make sure it's good enought to get a bookmark and see where it gets you in this business.

** Have you asked for change? **

15 years and counting
    Don't give up Happypoon. Spring is coming. Take a deep breath. Think positive. You have Mrs Happypoon to keep you happy. Crooks will not last.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast