Outsourced Program Manager Nathan Weinberg's Avatar
    Question Corrupt Excel files in Windows 7
    We run a few affiliate programs on Google Affiliate Network, and two of our PCs are running Windows 7 in preparation for a company-wide upgrade. We've found that exported Excel reports from GAN, whether downloaded from IE or FF, regardless of which computer we use (both clean installs), come back corrupted. Excel says:

The document is corrupt and cannot be opened. To try and repair it, use the Open and Repair command in the Open dialog box and select Extract Data when prompted.

Considering our Vista computers have no problem with it, I assume it's a Windows 7 issue. Can anyone tell me if the affiliate interface has the same problem, and if they've figured out what the problem is or a workaround.

Obviously, this is a huge problem for us, not being able to download any reports. Please, if you have a PC running Windows 7 and access to GAN on either the merchant or affiliate side, let me know what you have run into.

Thanks.

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hi,

Did you report this to your support team also?

Thanks,

Jamie

Has anyone else had this problem? One person posted on Google's support forums that they have the same or a similar issue, and our Google rep has been looking into it. I can't imagine no one here has see it, and having a brand new computer that can't download files from GAN is getting very annoying, months after Windows 7 has hit stores.

Here's the thread in Google's forum:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...be55ea27&hl=en

Hello,

We have not had many reports of this issue but this is a known issue with Windows 7 and we aren't able to fix the problem ourselves. There are a few related threads on Microsoft Answers site.

Thank you,

Jamie

I'll check the site, but if you could send me a link to the forum I'll find it even faster.

I'm glad its a known issue, but I hope someone is working to fix it. As more people move to Windows 7, this will be a major issue, and I'm sure the last thing you want is for large chunks of users to be unable to use the site.

I just logged in as an affiliate and had the same issue, so it will affect more than just advertisers.

Interestingly, it looks like someone posted here and deleted a comment about it working in Chrome (I got an email notification) and I tried in Chrome, with the same error. That's three browsers (IE8, FF, Chrome), on 3 Windows 7 machines with different configurations that have corrupted files. And all 3 machines had no problem before the upgrade.

Good luck fixing it! I hope it works soon.

Hi!

Can you send me an email?

Jamier[at]Google.com

I would just like to point out that, 15 months later, this bug still exists and is actually worse than it was at the time. GAN has given no indication this matters to them, even though over a quarter of a billion computers have already been upgraded to Windows 7.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=2]Nathan Weinberg[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=1]Outsourced Program Manager
    Blue Cherry Group
    :envelope:[/SIZE] [SIZE=1] nweinberg(at)bluecherrygroup(dotcom) :telephone[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]646.290.8127 x203[/SIZE]

Hello Nathan,

This is a Windows issue.

Please contact your support team if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Jamie

It is NOT a windows issue Jamie! If your engineers are telling you that then they are mistaken. Please tell them to open the output in a binary editor and take a look at the end of the files! It is obvious that they entire contents of the HTML report view is being appended to the file. ALSO, BTW, all of your competitors handle this issue just fine, sending down binary excel files and csv (we can choose). Both work.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

FYI, an old thread I started on this issue, which also contains some hacky work-a-rounds.

Export To Excel Broken - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

I've also complained in the GAN support forums. Just because older versions of excel and windows deal with GAN's corrupt and malformed report output, doesn't make your output any less wrong... Your engineers have just been getting lucky and not realized it... Oh the engineering horrors... I'm flabbergasted.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Its as if someone saw me mention that it was windows 7 / Office 2010 only and stopped looking into the problem, totally ignoring the fact that BINARY excel files have ascii text HTML globbed onto the end of them... It is a blatent bug on the part of GAN.

I'm obviously hot under the collar about this!
    Last edited by isellstuff; December 7th, 2010 at 09:02 PM.

Red face
    I am attaching a screenshot from a binary editor, which shows that the HTTP Get for the file download is rendering the report page AFTER it renders the excel spreadsheet, thus resulting in one crazy file. See screenshot for proof.

OK, I'm done, please fix this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Google Affiliate Network Moderator View Post
    Hello Nathan,

This is a Windows issue.

Please contact your support team if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Jamie
    Jamie,

Multiple people have contacted support about this. Can you tell us if a fix is forthcoming, because support just seems to take the information and blame it on Windows. Unless no website in the world can output to Excel, it's a GAN problem. The screenshot by isellstuff makes the problem, and even the solution, pretty clear.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=2]Nathan Weinberg[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=1]Outsourced Program Manager
    Blue Cherry Group
    :envelope:[/SIZE] [SIZE=1] nweinberg(at)bluecherrygroup(dotcom) :telephone[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]646.290.8127 x203[/SIZE]

14. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread