Brainstorming: Split Affiliate Programs
    I was curious as to everyones thoughts on this, given our recent discussions on cookie washing by merchants, and then my comment as to programs that allow DTM PPC by affiliates to be pretty much the same thing.

Supposing a merchant were to run an In House program, and one at a network (clearly SAS or Avantlink... ).

For the in house program, they ONLY allow DTM PPC, and leave it pretty much unadvertised... they simply reach out to DTM PPC affiliates that know the business, and recruit that way.

For the network program, they disallow all DTM PPC, leaving it a "classic" affiliate channel.

Pros: Both sets of affiliates have a level playing field, from a cookie perspective. Search and Affiliate channels remain mutually exclusive.

Cons: Possibility of double paying some commissions, since the channels can't/won't overwrite each other. (I see that as a small price to pay.)

For this merchant, I'm assuming a product that usually sells on the first or second visit, and most usually within 1 to 4 days from the first visit.*

Thoughts?

*Edit: I included this info since I think this type of sale minimizes the double dip risk for the merchant. It may not be a great strategy for merchants with a longer sales cycle.
    Last edited by Kevin; August 25th, 2009 at 11:25 AM.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

http and a telephoto
    My first thought is that the network affiliates need to know that the inhouse is doing what it is so that it's clear there is no conflict and that the inhouse cookies don't "trump" the network cookies.

Other than that, it seems to make sense, it is like "hiring" the ppc folks to do your ppc on commission rather than on retainer.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

My thoughts are that the cookies never touch each other. So while the merchant might tell the network affs of the opportunity in the form of disclosure, the merchant would not be reversing any commissions based on the two channels. (Unless of course their are returns, TOS violations, etc.)

Is a disclosure necessary if there's no risk of losing commission based on the other channel?
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

http and a telephoto
    Affiliates in the network program could see the ppc ads and think that other affiliates are "getting away with" something. Or think they are being cheated out of the opportunity to do the same thing.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

15 years and counting
    As long as the same tracking code is not being used I don't mind seeing others doing PPC. If the merchant use the same tracking code, it should be open to everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    As long as the same tracking code is not being used I don't mind seeing others doing PPC. If the merchant use the same tracking code, it should be open to everybody.
    Right. To Deb's point though, I think the merchant might suffer in recruiting without the disclosure anyways, or at the very least be bombarded with questions about it.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread