http and a telephoto
    I am speaking to a local group of web designers (probably 15-20 folks) about affiliate marketing tonight, and wondered if you all had any tips and tricks you would like to share. I will of course be recommending they visit A Best Web if they aren't coming here already I have a nice outline, but may have forgotten something important, so fire away!

Recommended programs for newbs, places to go to find good programs other than here (like a place for a second opinion ), stuff like that.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I will try to not show my negativity here, I do think it needs to be said.

Every single person you help get into this business is competition.

Every person you help get into this business will spend some money trying it without really understanding that it takes more work than a 9 to 5 job.

Every person you help get into this business has no idea what the heck you’re talking about.

Every person you help get into this business is now more vulnerable to all types of parasites, negativity, stealing and learning how to steal.

Its my opinion if a person found there way to AM all by themselves Kudos’ and ABW will help them get further or stop them all together. But to ardently go out of your way to assist your/our competition, which never existed, is insane!

15 years and counting
    That sums up one of the ambiguity in affiliate marketing. How can we help others without damaging our business? I've seen helpful people doing a lot of damages by revealing "secrets". What works for a few can't be done on a larger scale. At the same time, affiliate marketing is not a secret anymore, there's even a magazine about it, but the same magazine reveals that according to AffTrack, 2% of affiliates make 98% of commissions.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I've seen helpful people doing a lot of damages by revealing "secrets". What works for a few can't be done on a larger scale. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I agree. I wouldn't go out and actively try to help others be my competitors.... and if it doesn't work for them they WILL blame you (human nature).

Well if you must tell them be sure to impress upon them that it is hard work and that they will not survive unless they build quality sites. Explain how banner farms and low quality sites are making it hard for all affiliates to get good rankings in the search engines. Encourage them to go take a web design class before they start.

ABW Ambassador
    If you must actively increase our competition, I would echo much of what was said above. Stress the idea that they MUST build sites at which people want to spend time and money and come back to, a site where they would want to spend time if they stumbled upon it. Since these are web designers, emphasize that unless they're selling bells and whistles, quality content, clear presentation and ease of navigation far outweigh bells & whistles.

Bring examples of what you believe to be quality sites but I also recommend the following:

To show good examples of bad examples:
    http://webpagesthatsuck.com/

To show that site stealers get outed in public:
    http://www.pirated-sites.com/

To show how a merchant can screw you over (and over and over) point out the TigerDirect forum here.

To show that scummy affiliates that screw you over will be publicly outed and their merchants will be notified, point to any number of threads here.

If they only seem inclined to skim huge profits off the web with no work, just give them contact info for 1-800 & Whenu, cut the talk short and head straight for the coffeee and donuts.

Most importantly, let them know that if they are willing to work tirelessly everyday, hundreds of dollars can be made in affiliate marketing.

Wayne

Thank you so much for saying that Sandra, I feel the exact same way.

ABW Ambassador
    What Sandra said.
    Competition happens naturally, no need to create it. Everybody shhhh.

http and a telephoto
    To clarify, these are webmasters that already have content sites and are possibly looking to add relevant affiliate links to the content sites. These are not folks out to build links farms and banner farms. They are already sites with existing traffic.

I guess I am alone in the feeling that helping other people create good niche sites is a good thing instead of having people looking for a quick buck tossing up sites that make us all look bad.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loxly:
    I guess I am alone in the feeling that helping other people create good niche sites is a good thing instead of having people looking for a quick buck tossing up sites that make us all look bad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Not at all. Most here don't really mind competition, just scum like whenU, 1-800, Ebates, etc and networks like CJ that actively aid & abet them. I'm all for competition. That's why you should encourage them to keep it clean. Clean affiliates we can compete with.

Wayne

http and a telephoto
    BTW, most of these webmasters think their sites are not appropriate for affiliate programs anyways and that having affiliate links up will take away their visitors. At the most I expect a few might think about adding small adsense ads.

I apologize if it sounded as if I was looking for hidden tricks, I guess I worded my first post incorrectly, it WAS 5am I meant, I would like places to send people to RESEARCH getting into programs and finding appropriate programs to fit their site content.

I get what I need from A Best Web, but didn't know if there were other places people could look at for more information. WebMasterWorld is a site I have discovered through posts at ABW, I am sure there are others.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's not alot to remember that "A LOT" is too words! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lola, is "too" a typo or supposed to be that spelling?
    Deborah Carney

I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't mind competition. There's plenty of pie to go around. I heard that online sales will probably hit $80 billion soon. I'd be happy with $1 billion--I still have a way to go before I hit that. That leaves $79 billion for all my competition.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What SandraR said about inviting more competition.

But I don't agree with the "work" part of her statement. Personally I've yet to find one 9-5er that would qualify as less w*rk than this. Exactly the opposite! Even the easiest empl*yment I've had (which was darned easy) was more w*rk than this. With this, I am not facing down multiple boxes of 3,000 parts (each of which must be "finished") every day. Or oceans of papers to file. Or any other INTERMINABLY HUGE MOUNTAIN of tasks, which never ever end (empl*yers always manage to get more of the same stuff to do daily)!

AM is certainly less work than that. With this, when you've decided you've got enough work to do, you don't *have* to sign up more merchants. And if you think one's a dud, you can let it grow cobwebs or just dump it. But with a 9-5er they'll cram 'em down your throat whether you want to see another one or NOT! And you'd better do the j*b too, and do it well, dammit--no ignoring uberduds or leaving their stuff to rot!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If they only seem inclined to skim huge profits off the web with no work, just give them contact info for 1-800 & Whenu, cut the talk short and head straight for the coffee and donuts.~Wayne <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's certainly no need to use parasiteware to avoid making a big j*b out of this.

Automate what you can, and then that leaves, hm...NO work whatsoever, actually, if you can accomplish full automation. The most work is actually figuring out exactly how to (legitimately) avoid doing any more work, LOL!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'd be happy with $1 billion--I still have a way to go before I hit that. That leaves $79 billion for all my competition.~Michael Coley <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think a billion would improve my mood as well.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

If you are making money by telling other people about affiliate marketing I can't stop you but if you are just volunteering the time & info I'd keep it vague. No one needs more competition but it's going to happen no matter what.

http and a telephoto
    LOL, it isn't a "paid speaking engagement". I am this month's moderator for a group that is pretty informal. There were all of 7 people there that are your new potential competition.

Be afraid, be very afraid....
    Deborah Carney

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread