View Poll Results: Do you use CMS systems?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love em - use nothing else

11 28.21%
  • I use em if I can, otherwise build my site

16 41.03%
  • I build my own sites and only use CMS when needed

11 28.21%
  • I will not use CMS

1 2.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    CMS Systems - love em or hate em?
    What is your opinion of CMS systems? I am talking about things like blogging systems like WP or other CMS systems like Joomla or Drupal, etc.

Frankly, I prefer to build my site from the ground up, although I do have a few WP blogs. If you don't upgrade you can get hit by hackers. There is still a learning curve, and you lose control. And you still need to learn HTML in order to edit templates.

And just recently, the new "improved" IE browser started considering my images in a CMS system I use as insecure because they are not https
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    I just started using Wordpress and I love it. The other sites I have are regular ones I built myself. But I find with Wordpress I can do things that I can't with my regular sites because of my limited knowledge of technical stuff/php etc. but with Wordpress sometimes it's as simple as finding a plugin. As far as upgrades, I probably login in everyday so if there is one, I update. As far as html, that kind of goes both ways with CMS and building your own, probably less with a CMS.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I just started using Wordpress and I love it. The other sites I have are regular ones I built myself. But I find with Wordpress I can do things that I can't with my regular sites because of my limited knowledge of technical stuff/php etc. but with Wordpress sometimes it's as simple as finding a plugin. As far as upgrades, I probably login in everyday so if there is one, I update. As far as html, that kind of goes both ways with CMS and building your own, probably less with a CMS.
    Yeah, there are some sites where a blog is the only way to go. WP is nice with all the available plugins.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Wordpress based sites are a lot easier to maintain, especially if you have limited html/php knowledge. We have had in the past our entire company site and store as one big wordpress install. In the end, it wasn't really needed as we don't update that often, and we wasted time skinning our design into a wordpress theme.

I do like wordpress websites though.

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Haven't used drupal but heard it's a lot like Joomla. I hated joomla. Very touchy! Plugins never worked, always something I was trying to fix. Very very sensitive to server settings. I used 1.0x and 1.5x. Being in limbo between the two versions was a nightmare.

My friend begged me to try wordpress and I finally caved! Best thing I ever did. I have the full Dreamweaver suite and have since before dreamweaver MX came out. If you are not a full time coder, I wouldn't build from the ground up. technology is evolving so fast, you still have to update and tweak a site even if you code from scratch. Wordpress, someone else keeps track of that for you and just gives you a link! how simple is that.

I have only had 1 plugin with WP that did not work right out of the starting gate. My biggest issue is just learning all the ways that templates work in WP so I can make my site look more custom while harnessing all the cool things you can do with plugins and such. Go WP!

Most of my sites are either straight WP blogs, or they are CMS-type installs of WP that I've modified to look and operate as more "traditional" marketing sites.

I have two or three datafeed sites left created with php files and using mysql tables. Even on those sites, I'm installing WP as a blog where I post product recommendations, reviews, etc., in blog posts with text links to the datafeed site.

Having a little success. But it's so great to install WP and you can do so many non-blogging things with it by modifying templates, installing plugins, all that.
    Generate more fake news.

Affiliate Manager
    Does Joomla allow one to rearrange the order in which page elements appear in the generated HTML?

I've enjoyed the freedom of putting my keyword-rich elements near the top in static HTML, and wouldn't mind using Joomla for one of my sites if I had the same control.

Is this even still a concern with Google? I've read varying reports about the weight given to the placement of keyword-rich elements on the page.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share. If you have pointers to authoritative articles on this even better.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

http and a telephoto
    All of my sites except one are CMS based, and that one needs to be The ability to change things live on the site and globally easily is much better than the old "FrontPage" days. (or Dreamweaver etc). I can still use html editors if needed, but I know enough about coding to do direct html within a CMS system to make things look like they need to.

I consider my shopping cart sites to be CMS also since the content and catalog management is all done within an admin.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    All of my sites except one are CMS based ...
    Which CMS programs/packages do you like?

My guess is WordPress is a favorite, any others?
    Last edited by Rhia7; August 27th, 2009 at 01:30 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I have wanted to use CMS, but for a long time I waited to find a way to integrate a lot more functionality. This summer, I finally created a blog site using Joomla, but I've come to regret that: as we've discussed here earlier this summer, I should have used WordPress for this purpose.

Each CMS involves a "learning curve," and time must be spent evaluating a wide range of options and making decisions (about templates, layouts, plug-ins). Each CMS also has its own "metaphor" or structural concepts, which can be very different.

I've essentially abandoned any hope of doing further work in Joomla because it's so poorly documented and because adding even the most basic functionality (such as allowing comments to a blog) requires installation of additional plug-ins which have proved to be poorly documented and themselves inconsistent with the main system. I've run out of duck-tape.

Probably the most important thing to understand is that any CMS is a database, and to properly implement and extend a CMS you must have a pretty clear understanding of the database structure -- but the whole purpose of the CMS is really to "hide" that structure from you -- you are expected to simply use the tools as presented, and to rely on experts to make modifications or extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    ... I finally created a blog site using Joomla, but I've come to regret that: as we've discussed here earlier this summer, I should have used WordPress for this purpose.

Each CMS involves a "learning curve," and time must be spent evaluating a wide range of options and making decisions (about templates, layouts, plug-ins) ... I've essentially abandoned any hope of doing further work in Joomla because it's so poorly documented ... requires installation of additional plug-ins which have proved to be poorly documented ...
    Thank you for the very interesting points, Mark. The "learning curve" for the CMS is an obstacle: and then one wonders if the outcome was worth the efforts.
    Documentation is an important consideration. I only thought about Joomla, I never actually attempted to use it. I'm setting up a WordPress blog -- finally -- after 2 years -- I like to write, it's just the format of the blog has stumped me.
    WordPress requires plugins but they are fun to find. I recently needed PHP5 for one plugin but my host didn't provide that level as a default.
    I e-mailed my host that some hosts would set PHP5 as standard {hint hint}
    I received detailed e-mail instructions on how to upgrade the PHP level.

My answer to the survey would be:
    "I build my own sites and only use CMS when needed" -- I'm self taught with Dreamweaver [I use books & online tutorials for documentation] and my main sites are built with Dreamweaver.
    I plan to have more than 1 blog but I haven't set up the others yet.

I guess a lot also depends on one's goals: what as a webmaster would you like to achieve online?
    The answer[s] to this would affect whether someone devotes substantial energy to a CMS.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    I've used a number of them over the years. My sites are mostly WP now. But pretty modified, and I am looking to use WordPress Multi User more.
    Deborah Carney

I've used a number of them over the years. My sites are mostly WP now. But pretty modified, and I am looking to use WordPress Multi User more.
    I'm like you, Deb, regarding most of my sites being WP. And I've thought about trying WP MU from time to time. Mostly, I just can't figure out a practical use for it, because I don't really need to host multiple WP accounts. Yet installing multiple WP installs on subfolders or subdomains on the few sites where I might like to really isn't very "elegant."

Don't want to derail this thread, but what are some reasons you might use WP MU? Just curious.
    Generate more fake news.

... I am looking to use WordPress Multi User more.
    I haven't heard of WordPress Multi User; I have to look into that.

To anyone who doesn't believe that I was thinking about Joomla [a CMS] -- here's a thread on the topic I started back in 2006. One serious issue is vulnerability to hackers:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...7&page=1&pp=25
    The thread discusses positive and negative aspects to Joomla.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    Don't want to derail this thread, but what are some reasons you might use WP MU? Just curious.
    I don't think it derails this thread because it is actually closer to what people originally considered a CMS to be

Since everyone probably knows about my pet related sites and love for animals I'll explain a little. I have a new cat site that I am building that instead of having one big site that has a zillion categories, there will be individual "blogs" that will each have their own seo and directory and will be able to be even more categorized without a bloated navigation system. So each breed will have it's own area that is specialized and SEO friendly. And there will be "sections" (blogs) for stories and other fun cat related stuff. (Like shopping and jewelry )

Another example is the newly renovated Team Loxly website. Each merchant has a totally separate area that is just for their affiliates. Those are all separate blogs within Wordpress MU. Different links, widgets, sidebars etc for each one. I could make each with a totally separate theme if I wanted to.

Any site that has multiple "sections" would benefit from being a built using WP MU instead of regular WP. I am considering using it as the default install, even if I don't "see" the need for it when the site is under construction.
    Deborah Carney

Since everyone probably knows about my pet related sites and love for animals I'll explain a little. I have a new cat site that I am building that instead of having one big site that has a zillion categories, there will be individual "blogs" that will each have their own seo and directory and will be able to be even more categorized without a bloated navigation system. So each breed will have it's own area that is specialized and SEO friendly. And there will be "sections" (blogs) for stories and other fun cat related stuff. (Like shopping and jewelry ) ...
    Any site that has multiple "sections" would benefit from being a built using WP MU instead of regular WP. I am considering using it as the default install, even if I don't "see" the need for it when the site is under construction.
    Ah, now I get it. Sometimes I'm a bit slower than average on this Internet/website/coding stuff.
    Generate more fake news.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    how about option E. "I love them AND I build my own sites including them" :-)

love them.-- used them more often.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    how about option E. "I love them AND I build my own sites including them" :-)
    Close for me. I like them sometimes if they are the right system and we build our own sites/pages using them sparingly.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

For the most part, I think CMS systems are great, but when I run up against something that can't be configured from the GUI, I sometimes find it takes quite a bit of effort to do what I want.

Today, for instance, I've been wrestling with Magento. It seems pretty nice to use right out of the box. But unlike the site pages where I could see the code for each page inside the GUI, I had no such access to modifying the script that gets pulled up for Google Checkout. Since I needed to insert my XML tracking code into the Google script, it would have been nice not having to go searching through the directories in the back end to find the correct page.

Outsourced Program Manager - Parenting Niche hermedia's Avatar
    Only WordPress
    I have tried a few - php nuke- joomla- Drupal - and I have a directory using php link directory.

I will only use WordPress. I find all the others to limiting unless you have extensive coding knowledge.

I build my own sites and only use CMS when needed..CMS increase time of development but draw back is that of finding a perfect solution of problem..

CMS System
    I like to know details about CMS System.

Anushka

Quote Originally Posted by anushka858
    I like to know details about CMS System.

Anushka
    CMS Allow for large number of people to contribute to and share stored data
    * Control access to data, based on user roles. User roles are used to define each use as to what information they can view or edit
    * Aid in easy storage and retrieval of data
    * Reduce repetitive duplicate input
    * Improve the ease of report writing
    * Improve communication between users

Thanx for reply. I have got a clear picture about CMS from u.

Anushka

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast