Comments Causing Duplicate Content in WP
    I have a new WP 2.8.4 blog and Webmasters Tools pointed out that comments are causing duplicate meta information. When there are comments your post is accessed by a little different URL, but the only change is the comments are tacked on below the post.

The meta description and title are the same for 2 different URLs, and G is calling that duplicate content. I was thinking that the All In One SEO plugin took care of that but it doesn't.

I looked around for about an hour for a plugin or function that would give noindex to these comments pages. I found one function, but it didn't install well. I didn't want to start debug until asking if someone knew an easy way.

ABW Ambassador
    I was reading this - http://www.dailyseoblog.com/2009/02/...ssue-solution/

and would this work - In Wordpress under Setttings, click Discussion and then under Other comment settings uncheck the Break comments into pages box.

Would that do it?

Actually reading more, I don't think that did the trick, they linked to this plugin - http://yoast.com/wordpress/canonical/ and they said that worked.

ABW Ambassador
    "I was thinking that the All In One SEO plugin took care of that but it doesn't."

The theme I'm using had that built in but was an old version, I tried updating and it didn't work so I deactivated the one from the theme and just installed the regular version, the latest is Version 1.6.4.1. There is a little box you can check off Canonical URLs. Don't remember if that was there in the older version I was using. Does anybody know if that would do it? It says:

"This option will automatically generate Canonical URLS for your entire WordPress installation. This will help to prevent duplicate content penalties by Google."

Actually reading more, I don't think that did the trick, they linked to this plugin - http://yoast.com/wordpress/canonical/
    rel="canonical" seems to be handled by the All in One SEO Pack. I use it and when going to view source it is adding <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.example.com" /> with the URL different for each post.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I see some nuggets here but will wait till morning for in-depth look.

Added: We where typing about the same plugin at the same moment. Weird.
    Last edited by John Powell; August 26th, 2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Note Added

Another option:
    Place this in your wordpress themes header.php file, if the page is a single, page, or if its the home page then the robots will index and follow links on it. Otherwise search engines will not index the pages but will still follow the links.

<?php if(is_single() || is_page() || is_home()) { ?>
    <meta name="googlebot" content="index,noarchive,follow,noodp" />
    <meta name="robots" content="all,index,follow" />
    <meta name="msnbot" content="all,index,follow" />
    <?php } else { ?>
    <meta name="googlebot" content="noindex,noarchive,nofollow,noodp" />
    <meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow" />
    <meta name="msnbot" content="noindex,nofollow" />
    <?php }?>

======================
    This is the notes I have for the canonical URL issue:
    Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft announced support for a new link element to clean up duplicate urls on sites. The syntax is pretty simple: An ugly url such as http://www.example.com/page.html?sid=asdf314159265 can specify in the HEAD part of the document the following:

<link rel="canonical" href="http://example.com/page.html"/>

That tells search engines that the preferred location of this url (the “canonical” location, in search engine speak) is http://example.com/page.html instead of http://www.example.com/page.html?sid=asdf314159265 .

http://google.com/support/webmasters...?answer=139394
    Last edited by 2busy; August 26th, 2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: added more notes

I looked at all the links from Trust and looked again at the Matt Cutts video that 2busy reminded me of. In the course of all that I found Greg’s High Performance SEO plugin and have it installed and active. I deactivated the All In One Seo. Gregs seems to have all that All IN On had and more. The code generated is a little neater and it does the rel="canonical" just the same.

It didn't add noindex to the page with comments, but maybe it's not needed with the canonical thingy working. Anyway it's way too late for thinking so we will see how it looks in the a.m. I said I wasn't messing with it tonight and I lied.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    Anyway it's way too late for thinking so we will see how it looks in the a.m. I said I wasn't messing with it tonight and I lied.
    Sometimes you find things late at night.
    I'll check out Greg’s High Performance SEO plugin
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Just curious for your SEO plugin settings, do you have anything filled in for

.... Additional Post headers:
    .... Additional Page Headers:
    .... Additional Home Headers:

Just curious for your SEO plugin settings,
    In Greg's or the All In One? I'm trying Greg's right now and going through his detailed explanation that you see after the install when you go to the setup area.

In Greg's or the All In One? I'm trying Greg's right now and going through his detailed explanation that you see after the install when you go to the setup area.
    In the All In One.

The "Additional Post/Page/Home Header" is there to solve dupe contents problems and I wanted to see if you had anything filled in there before when you got the flags in your WMT. Perhaps this pertains to comments as well, don't know. I do realize that you now have disabled the SEO plugin and using Greg's but just curious what the situation was when this problem occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    The "Additional Post/Page/Home Header" is there to solve dupe contents problems
    I checked another blog with the All In One and the answer is no I have not used the fields you listed.

Problem could be that the problem post and comments was done prior to making the plugin active. It was the first post and the comments where tester friends.

Also I have had problems all along with craziness in Webmaster Tools. Sometimes it does quirky things. If you have been going there for a while you know what I mean.

I have spent a lot of time on Greg's SEO plugin and like what I see, but am having a little problem getting some of the advanced stuff going. I have advanced desires with a default mind.

OK I'm staying with Greg's High Performance SEO plugin. He seems to have everything that All In On has and then more.

What I like most is the ability to change the heading of the post on the individual post page. You can have a post title like "My Great Post" and it will show in your url as example.com/whatever/my-great-post/. The title could be<title>My Great Post</title> or however you configure, but at the beginning of your post the heading could be <h1>My Great Post: Maximum Inspired</h1>

He goes into great detail explaining why this extra flexibility can help SEO. He calls it having a secondary title. He also explains having a secondary description.

Anyone curious should install the plugin and without activating it read all the setup information. Also looking at Greg's personal site will show how it uses it.

OK I'm staying with Greg's High Performance SEO plugin. He seems to have everything that All In On has and then more.

What I like most is the ability to change the heading of the post on the individual post page. You can have a post title like "My Great Post" and it will show in your url as example.com/whatever/my-great-post/. The title could be<title>My Great Post</title> or however you configure, but at the beginning of your post the heading could be <h1>My Great Post: Maximum Inspired</h1>

He goes into great detail explaining why this extra flexibility can help SEO. He calls it having a secondary title. He also explains having a secondary description.

Anyone curious should install the plugin and without activating it read all the setup information. Also looking at Greg's personal site will show how it uses it.
    Probably going to take a look at that plugin this evening when I have more time, but I have a question, John: Will my blogs suffer any loss of SEO, broken or dead links, etc., if I switch from the All-in-One-SEO plugin to this one? I'm really uncertain about how much can or should be done with permalink and blog structures on a blog that's been running and has a ton of posts.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments, John.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Will my blogs suffer any loss of SEO, broken or dead links, etc.
    The title you gave you post when you wrote it stays the same and so should your URL. What changes is the <title>in the head and that may even be the same as with All In One.

I wouldn't activate it till going over the information that installs with the plugin. It was not real easy to follow, but it can be done.

As far as swapping on an established blog goes it is uncertain how much help it will be over the All In One. I'm using it on a brand new one, and if I start with it I think it will be better down the road. I have two old blogs that I'm staying with the All In On until I see it's worth it.

ABW Ambassador
    Alright, I finally see one of those dupe comment pages in the index for my first blog. comment-page-1/

It was one of my first posts and my own comment testing the comment system out. Not sure if I had All In One SEO installed at the time.

But if somebody has All In One SEO installed from the start and they have Canonical URLs checked off, should that do the trick and stop the dupe content problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    But if somebody has All In One SEO installed from the start and they have Canonical URLs checked off, should that do the trick and stop the dupe content problems?
    If you look in your source for example.com/my-great-post/comment-page-1 it should say:
    <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.example.com/my-great-post/" />
    According to what I read that should have the SE give your original post as the one you want to be unique and the comment page be ignored. That's if it all works.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread