I receive a regular newsletter from webpronews

The latest comtained these comments and quotes that definitely caught my attention, with the full article appearing on their main page.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    From the WebMasterWorld forums comes word that Yahoo's cracking down on affiliate sites. The thread, six pages long at the time of this writing, includes snippets of letters from Yahoo to the forum members, many of whom have been banned.

Have you been banned from Yahoo? Talk here.

From what I gathered, Yahoo's weeding out sites with content that appears on duplicate sites. Affiliate sites are hit especially hard by the campaign.

Eyeinthesky said, "I got a reply from Y! that they don't oppose affiliate sites but they don't want their index to be full of the same stuff..."

Gavstar reported that, "they are saying that my site has been banned because I have traded links with other webmasters. And because I have affiliate links on my site."

Some consider the penalization to be more like persecution. "I think this is an awful decision and isn't being applied fairly either," said TravelMan.

"If you are a traffic passer, or have heavy affiliate content then your entire domain will be blocked from their index," continued TravelMan. He also claimed that, "there isn't a route back via pfi either, so don't waste your time or money. I've tried and failed."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Richard E. Ward
    [url]www.richardeward.com[/url] [url]www.itjobcoach.com[/url]

ABW Ambassador
    Not very surprising.
    Once again, it is best to build a website for the visitors, NOT for the search engines....

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I think I've said thta for 6 years strait Irma...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    I think I've said thta for 6 years strait Irma... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You said that, but why did you neglected to do that?

By the way, kudos to Yahoo! for trying to clean up their search results. Hopefully, Google will try the same, soon.

ABW Ambassador
    "Yahoo Penalizing Affiliate Sites"

Little misleading. Maybe Yahoo Penalizing Duplicate Content. There are non-affiliate sites out there that get penalized for dupe content and there are plenty of affiliates sites in Yahoo doing just fine.

Hey Mike..

if you built your site for visitors and not search engines what were you hoping that they were all blind if so where is the brail.. cuz even brail is more appealing then looking at ecomcity

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Trust said.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    I think I've said thta for 6 years strait Irma... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saying it and doing it are different things.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL ...so sorry it doesn't look like 100,000 other cloned affiliate directory sites.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

So what happens to the aff sites that paid the 299 to get into Yahoo some years ago. If they were good enough then are they still good enough now?

ABW Ambassador
    Yahoo is not penalizing affiliate sites. Let me translate that Webmasterworld thread.

Yahoo bans an affiliate for something. Affiliate then posts at WMW saying "oh lookie they penalized me and i did nothing wrong " Then a few more that were penalized start to too. So it makes them feel good knowing there are some other penalized affiliates and they comfort each other in one big cry fest.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm with Trust on this. It also seems to me that every time a search engine changes its algo or does something a little different, there are cries of '[enter name of search engine here] are penalizing affiliate sites'. It's getting old. For the record, I've never had an affiliate site penalized, dropped, banned or anything else.

The quotes that I posted were from an article written by Garrett French the editor of iEntry's eBusiness channel.

The article itself - Yahoo Penalizing Affiliate Sites - appears at :http://www.webpronews.com/insiderrep...iateSites.html

There are links in the article that lead to articles and comments that I found interesting.
    Richard E. Ward
    [url]www.richardeward.com[/url] [url]www.itjobcoach.com[/url]

ABW Ambassador
    Well it's wrong. The article looks like it took a couple of minutes to put together, basically a copy and pasting of WMW posts. Sites, affiliate sites and non-affiliate sites, get banned all the time, it's nothing new. And as far as webpronews, after clicking the link you posted i see a huge 750x100 pixel ad for Claria(Gator) Sad.

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.webpronews.com

[Insider Report: 2004-03-16 ]
    Yahoo Penalizing Affiliate Sites

LOL, i just saw they put in on the front page of the site. Not very good publicity IMO.
    Insider Report, breaking news, watch out affiliates

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread