Ugly Lesson Learned
    I just learned that you can log into your SAS admin control panel to see which merchants are offline, and see that all is well, however when you check your invalid links, you can find a ton of them there from an ONLINE merchant!

Apparently all that merchant has to do is to change one of their banner codes (b=xxxxx) to bring back the following error message when someone clicks it:

--------------------

There is an error in your link code. Please get a new copy of the code from your account and replace the current code on your website.

--------------------

What makes this really cute is the code worked fine until the merchant removed the banner (without sending out a notice to the affiliates).

Suggestion to Brian: That message means nothing to our visitors -- why not direct them to the same Custom Error Redirect that we use for "Temporarily Offline Merchants"? At least there would be the possibility of a sale.

What this means for affiliates is we can no longer assume that an online merchant is in fact working correctly -- an unfortunate lesson learned.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Aphiliac,

Merchants can't actually change that banner ID number... it is locked forever when the banner is created. I'd be interested to hear more about your problem if you want to go over it ... somehow the wrong code must have been downloaded earlier or replaced...

We didn't send that type of link error to the custom redirect page intentionally, as it represents an error in the code and not an error due to an offline merchant, etc... but can consider also sending this along to the custom page.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Thanks Brian -- I tried to send you a private message but was blocked. I've set you as a "buddy" so you can contact me directly if you want. Let me know how I can reply privately.

I just now saw that this particular merchant has yet again changed their banner id, so once again the error message is coming up.

So, they went from the first b=xxxxx (which worked); to a different one (b=yyyyy) which did not work; to a third b=zzzzz (which will not work). Something is clearly wrong.

Please get in touch ASAP and I'll give you the details...

Edit to my post above
    Rather than:
    So, they went from the first b=xxxxx (which worked); to a different one (b=yyyyy) which did not work; to a third b=zzzzz (which will not work).
    I meant to say that the original banner had worked since I joined their program some time ago, but then at the time of my posting they removed ALL their banners except for one -- and gave that one a different ID -- so my original code stopped working and I had 169 invalid link entries.

When I went through my sites and replaced the original code with the new one, it once again DID work. But as I said, now for whatever reason, they've today changed that banner ID yet again, so something's out of whack.

I tried to send you a private message but was blocked. I've set you as a "buddy" so you can contact me directly if you want. Let me know how I can reply privately.
    You have to have a certain number of posts to PM. Try using their Support Ticket with a link back to here for reference. SAS is pretty good on support in my experience.

Thanks John -- that explains the block. Just out of curiosity, how many posts does a person need before they can PM? I'm well over a hundred, so it must be pretty high.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphiliac
    Thanks John -- that explains the block. Just out of curiosity, how many posts does a person need before they can PM? I'm well over a hundred, so it must be pretty high.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread