Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    College Football 2009
    Figured might as well start one for College Football since it starts next week on Thursday, September 3.

Now my team is probably one of the most hated ones, Notre Dame. They have an easy schedule and one of two things are going to happen. They're going to win a lot this year, or it will be Charlie Weis last year coaching. I'm good with either.

USC is starting a Freshman at QB, Barnes. Apparently he's good enough to win the starting job but I don't see a Freshman leading a team to any Championship. So they should lose at least a couple, wouldn't mine one of them being to ND.

Florida, Oklahoma, Texas should be fighting it out since they have their starting QB's returning and good teams.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Unfortunately for the Vols...and everyone else, Florida may be scary good this year. I think their entire defense returns...from a championship team! Plus a lot of their offense too, including Tebow.

I know this could be a stretch, but they may end up being one of the best teams ever. I could see them blowing out all but a few teams who might challenge them every few weeks.

Predictions:

ACC Championship: Va Tech def. Wake Forest
    Big 12: Oklahoma def. Nebraska - winner of the Texas Oklahoma game is a toss-up and is pretty much a lock for the National Title game IMHO.
    Big 10: Ohio State
    Big East: Pittsburgh
    Pac 10: USC. This could be the year for Oregon or Cal though.
    SEC: Florida def. LSU. Ole Miss is a popular pick, but LSU looked back in the Chick-fil-A Bowl last year.
    WAC: Boise State
    MWC: TCU

Bowls:

National Title Game: Florida def. Oklahoma
    Orange: Va. Tech def. Penn State
    Rose: USC def. Ohio State
    Sugar: LSU def. Notre Dame
    Fiesta: Texas def. TCU

Notre Dame will still suck (sorry Trust) but they will get 10 wins because their schedule is soft and get into a BCS bowl because they are Notre Dame. Someone, I say LSU in the Sugar, will beat them by 30 points.

I do think it is going to be a fun year!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Its sort of snuck up on me - haven't thought too much about it it yet, but:

Carroll's rookie qb, Mathew Barkley, will be the first true freshman qb ever to start a season for the brain surgeons. Still waiting for the NCAA hammer to come down on them, but its not likely to happen during the season, so Carroll gets yet another year to operate his criminal enterprise, having thrown the basketball program and Tim Floyd to the wolves to deflect the investigation and further over-burden NCAA investigators.

Cal will be a power in the Pac 10, and the country, featuring the nation's best running back, Jahvid Best, who I mentioned last year.

Not sure about Oregon - they return a lot of talent, but Mike Bellotti, who brought them to prominence over his 14 years as head coach, is gone, and that probably means a down year, or longer, under Chip Kelly, in his FIRST head coaching job.

And my Bruins: Skippy (Rick Neuheisal) is entering his second year, and so much depends on the QB. UCLA unquestionably had the worst quarterbacking in the country last year, after losing Nos. 1 and 2 before the season started, and having no option but transfer Kevin Craft (7 tds, 20 int last season). Now, he has talented freshmen Kevin Prince and Richard Brehaut, either of whom is an enormous improvement. After opening with SD State, we play Tennessee on Sept. 12, and it will be real interesting to see what Lane Kiffin has done there, after all the negative publicity he's generated.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; August 28th, 2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: schedule correction
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Well, I'll give my Conference, BCS Bowl, National Title and Heisman Predictions.

CONFERENCES:

ACC - Virginia Tech
    BIG EAST - Cincinnati
    BIG TEN - Penn State
    BIG 12 - Texas
    PAC 10 - Southern Cal
    SEC - Florida

BCS BOWLS:

ROSE: Southern Cal vs Penn State (rematch from last season)
    ORANGE: Virginia Tech vs Cincinnati (rematch from last season)
    SUGAR: Alabama vs Notre Dame
    FIESTA: Oklahoma vs Ohio State
    BCS CHAMPIONSHIP GAME: Florida vs Texas

NATIONAL TITLE: The Florida Gators make it 2 in a row and 3 out of 4.

HEISMAN: Colt McCoy of Texas (too many voters want to make sure Archie Griffin remains the only 2 time winner of the Heisman Trophy, costing Sam Bradford of Oklahoma and Tim Tebow of Florida).

ABW Ambassador
    Alright, my team, Notre Dame, actually looked good. I realize it was Nevada but they still looked good. Allen running it, Jimmy throwing it to Golden Tate and Floyd, got some playmakers and a O line that's matured and have been together for awhile

And that freshman LB Manti Te'o that picked ND over USC, he was looking good, think he's going to be a great one.

I think we'll handle Michigan next week, looking forward to USC this time. I think we have a chance.

Tennessee looked good, again it was a weak team but looking forward to them playing Florida, that's going to be lively.

Think Oklahoma is out of it, since it looks like Bradford could miss some time.

Florida is Florida, beat up on a lesser team as they should.

Texas looked good.

That freshman did alright for USC.

"BCS CHAMPIONSHIP GAME: Florida vs Texas"

That's what it looks like right now and what I would bet on. Long way to go, upsets, a key injury here and there can change it all.

Oklahoma could still be 4-1 when they face Texas on Oct 17, but if Bradford is not back by that game, that's it for them.

Notre Dame should beat Michigan, but their next game (Michigan State) will be their first test against a decent team.

"BCS CHAMPIONSHIP GAME: Florida vs Texas" - Thats what it seems like now, but there will be more upsets like BYU over Ok, and more major injuries.

Who knows, BYU may be there - they beat Ok with no running game without Harvey Unga, and they have a schedule just tough enough to move up in the rankings if they stay undefeated.

Bruins - defensive stars Rahim Moore and Alterraun Verner, fr QB Kevin Prince and fr RB Johnathan (yea, Johnathan) Franklin led an impressive victory against an improved SDSU team, and I can't wait for Tennessee.

Oregon - I wrote this after Thursday's disgrace: "Chip Kelly's Ducks got off to a rocky start yesterday, and while I question how successful his team will be on the field this season - he's no Nick Bellotti - I have to give him credit for his response to the horrific conduct of LeGarrette Blount. A season's suspension seems appropriate, but few coaches would take that type of action against a star player. (Petey? not even if a running back committed murder.)"
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Sorry, Trust, losing with 11-seconds left is rough. Tate Forcier is one unbelievable freshman and looks like he can bring Michigan back a lot sooner than the experts thought. And how about Houston over Oklahoma St.?

Now, the BRUINS - defense dominated Tennessee - Rahim Moore had two more interceptions to give him 5 in two games; the Playmaker Alterraun Verner had another interception, and in the final couple of minutes the Defensive Line, led by Brian Price and Datone Jones, stopped the Vols on four plays after a first down inside the 10, and then kept pressure on Jonathan Crompton on his last-ditch 0/4 drive from his own territory. Rick Neuheisel has the Bruins back in his second season.

Now, it will really be a great day if the Buckeyes win on the one day a year I root for them!!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, that game hurt, that's hard to watch and that Forcier guy is pretty impressive. I was hoping ND would win out, and USC would win out and then ND would beat them when they met later, would have been nice for the rankings. Who knows, they still have to play each other. Just got back and catching up on scores. Tenn losing is another surprise. Watching USC vs. Ohio State now. Was thinking USC would roll but Ohio S. up by 3 right now. Also keeping an eye on Alabama vs. Florida Int, Alabama is only up 6 in the 3rd.

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    I had the privilege to go to the first game at TCF Bank Stadium. Great college stadium. Even though I am a Badger fan, I look forward to watching many games in the first open air stadium in MN in my lifetime. The Gophers looked lousy, but the stadium was delightful!

The centerpiece of the new Bruin offense, freshman QB Kevin Prince, had his jaw broken near the end of Saturday's game (he came back in for the final two plays after they stopped the bleeding), and will miss 3-4 weeks. If that is all he is out, we can weather the storm, facing Kansas State next week, a bye, and then Stanford. The fourth week, however, is against Oregon.

And that Barkley guy with the brain surgeons has a boo boo on his shoulder. Their game at Washington next week will be very interesting, with petey facing last year's offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, now head coach of the Huskies. Sarkisian has an interesting history: He originally went to sc on a baseball scholarship, but apparently flunked out. He then went to a JC, gave up baseball to be a qb, and eventually ended up the qb at BYU, under o.c. Norm Chow, who he later worked under for several years on petey's staff, eventually replacing Chow when he left for the NFL.

(The story at the time was that Chow left for greener pastures, and petey promoted Lane Kiffin and Sarkisian to be co-offensive coordinators, with Sarkisian getting the job himself when Kiffin later also left for the NFL. Now, however, Steve Bishoff has written a book detailing the event, saying that petey decided to give Kiffin, the son of his best friend, the job, throwing Chow, who built his championship offensive system, to the wolves, and only when informed of his pending demotion, did Chow quit and go to the NFL. Chow is now, of course, Rick Neuheisel's oc at UCLA.)

WOW WOW WOW

Da DAWGs defeat the mighty University of Spoiled Children brain surgeons!!!!!

Three weeks and in each one a top-5 team has lost.

ABW Ambassador
    Two good games I can't wait to see this Saturday:

No. 20 Oklahoma vs. No. 3 Texas
    No. 6 USC at No. 25 Notre Dame, would be something if ND could pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    No. 6 USC at No. 25 Notre Dame, would be something if ND could pull it off.
    The ONE day of the year that I root for NOTRE DAME!

GO IRISH!

ABW Ambassador
    Irish win today and AffiliateHound look at this, USC got whipped haha

#5 USC (6-2) 20
    #10 ORE (7-1) 47

Whaaaaat a game that was - brain surgeons totally dominated by the Mighty Ducks - Jeremiah Masoli was sensational, with 220 yds passing and 165 yds rushing.

Almost made up for the Bruins falling short against Oregon St (came back from 16 down in the the fourth with 2 TDs and 2 2-pt conversions, only to let the Beavers score again, but then the Bruins got down to the Beaver 16 as time ran out) and the damn yankees over the Phillies.

I take back all the bad things I said about Chip Kelly - he's overcome a lot in his first year, and has the Ducks playing as well as any team in the country, since their first-week loss to Boise State.

And to all the experts who said this was the week that Texas would fall, their defense was overpowering vs Okl St and they might very well end up in the BCS title game.

ABW Ambassador
    So this is going to be Charlie Weis' last season, I can't see them taking another year of this. They won 43 straight against them until Weis, where they're 1-2.

Navy -
    Pass Attempts - 3
    Rushing - 57 times

They knew they were going to run, couldn't stop them. The end of an error.

Hopefully we get a good coach.

College football........ Unfortunately i dont' play of it .I Ride on my bike with girls everyday .

ABW Ambassador
    Irish win today and AffiliateHound look at this, USC got whipped haha

#5 USC (6-2) 20
    #10 ORE (7-1) 47
    Another whipping, Stanford 55 - USC 21. That's just great.

Another whipping, Stanford 55 - USC 21. That's just great.
    What a great day for college football. I've been flipping back and forth between UCLA (now leading 29-0) and the beautiful Cardinal of Palo Alto.

I did have to stop working and watching to write a blog post about petey's Best Defense Money Can Buy. His defense, which some "experts" (mostly brain surgeon wonks in SoCal - but not exclusively) said would be one of the greatest ever, has now given up an average of 35 points per game over the past five.

Affiliate Network Rep Brent E. - Shareasale's Avatar
    I'm reading that Charlie Weis may be fired today! Wowsers. SO much for the high profile hire. Hopefully he will come back and be the Patriots Offensive coordinator!

Can't wait for Saturday's Bruin-brain surgeon showdown.

Bruin's have been playing great since Kevin Prince's return to health, and the Bruin defense has been lights out, with dominant play from soon-to-be first round draft choices Brian Price and Alterraun Verner. Bring on Petey and the best team money can buy!

Trust,

On his LA sports radio show today, Anthony Siciliano referred to the svelte Charlie Weis as:

"Dead Man Waddling"

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, he's gone. Can't believe his contract was to 2015 but he's gone anyway. Now we need to find a good coach. And if he's going, that means Clausen is going too, probably along with Tate and who knows who else. Going to be a lot of newness next year.

maybe Mark Mangino will be available

ABW Ambassador
    Good, from what I've heard Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly is the one people are talking about but still early.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast