Bill would give president emergency control of Internet:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10320096-38.html
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Rockefeller doesnt like the internet

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8PCmLPPVnA
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

If the goal was to protect vital infrastructure, as they say, then they would work towards protecting that and not MY network. But, I don't believe it. It's yet another power grap, more government run programs and control from the White House. I don't care who is in the White House, I don't want them to have total control over anything, much less my computer. It all adds up to little or no privacy, since the Feds could access any computer and get any information it wants, and more taxes on us. Watch for a new Internet access tax to pay for "protecting" us, if this bill passes.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

I almost forgot .. Here is Prob the a good Reason "Rockefeller" doesnt like the internet ..

Just do a search on utube for "rockefeller" and see what you get for first page results ....

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Affiliate Manager
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

The issue of what powers a president has in times of genuine emergency has never really been resolved (nor has the issue of what would constitute a genuine emergency). Both issues arose frequently during the Bush administration (and we are still discovering some of these activities now).

I'm more troubled by this language in the article:
    "Other sections of the proposal include a federal certification program for 'cybersecurity professionals,' and a requirement that certain computer systems and networks in the private sector be managed by people who have been awarded that license."

This it is definitely an alarming concept. It certainly might make sense for certain private companies involved in "infrastructure" which provide essential services to government agencies. (I don't think any law would be required for this -- just some procurement rules.)

I'd certainly worry that such a system might attempt to create government "back doors" into private security systems, or might adopt security protocols that are less than optimal for small business. Of course, I'd be especially worried if these "government licensed security professionals" were expected to obey government orders without question (for example, allowing wire-tapping and interception of other private communications without a warrant, which the Bush administration was so fond of doing).

The terms "certification" and "license" have very different meanings, but appear to be used interchangeably in the article. I'd be especially concerned about the risk that a cloak of secrecy might be used to conceal improper practices (such as discrimination based on ancestry or sexual orientation, or improper punishment of "whistle-blowers").

I'd be worried about the potential for this to become a government "boondoggle" in which some Halliburton-type corporation is allowed to place a "strangle-hold" on (all or part of) the computer-security industry and extract massive profits from a government-created monopoly.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    The issue of what powers a president has in times of genuine emergency has never really been resolved (nor has the issue of what would constitute a genuine emergency). Both issues arose frequently during the Bush administration (and we are still discovering some of these activities now).

I'm more troubled by this language in the article:
    "Other sections of the proposal include a federal certification program for 'cybersecurity professionals,' and a requirement that certain computer systems and networks in the private sector be managed by people who have been awarded that license."

This it is definitely an alarming concept. It certainly might make sense for certain private companies involved in "infrastructure" which provide essential services to government agencies. (I don't think any law would be required for this -- just some procurement rules.)

I'd certainly worry that such a system might attempt to create government "back doors" into private security systems, or might adopt security protocols that are less than optimal for small business. Of course, I'd be especially worried if these "government licensed security professionals" were expected to obey government orders without question (for example, allowing wire-tapping and interception of other private communications without a warrant, which the Bush administration was so fond of doing).

The terms "certification" and "license" have very different meanings, but appear to be used interchangeably in the article. I'd be especially concerned about the risk that a cloak of secrecy might be used to conceal improper practices (such as discrimination based on ancestry or sexual orientation, or improper punishment of "whistle-blowers").

I'd be worried about the potential for this to become a government "boondoggle" in which some Halliburton-type corporation is allowed to place a "strangle-hold" on (all or part of) the computer-security industry and extract massive profits from a government-created monopoly.
    A Blackwater for the web?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Lightbulb
    WOW .. so I just found this interesting video on Utube ..

and it made me this of this Thread ..

SERIOUSLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywgUCdefSW8

Is this Video for real? Someone tell me its fake ..

Omg

::
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

They all suck. It doesn't matter what party they are in.

Everyone of them need to voted out of office.

I agree with BurgerBoy

Maybe BurgerBoy should run for office
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Unbelievable ...... arrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread