Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Post Affiliate Summit is now publishing business books
    We announced yesterday that Affiliate Summit is launching a book publishing imprint.

Do you or anybody you know have an interest in getting a business book published?

If so, in our relationship with Morgan James Publishing, we work with their contract guidelines:

Author purchases 2,500 books at cost plus $2.00 with a $5,000 deposit – example of a typical trade paperback, 200 pages, 6x9 has an approx cost of $1.51.

Then the author gets 20% royalty on each copy of the work sold.

We handle design and production, sales and distribution of the books, as well as promotional efforts through Affiliate Summit (book signing, advertising) and FeedFront magazine (display advertising), as well as our various blogs, podcasts, and other marketing tools.

If you're interested, please submit your information at http://www.affiliatesummit.com/conta...ity-nyc-press/
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

Shawn the Vanity press guru ... why should I or anyone pay you $5k to print a book when you can buy the guy from Santa Barbara's book on how to publish your own
    book or submit the manucsript to an agent for FREE and get it hawked to the thousands of small to medium to large publishers on the planet.

Given the ease of churning out copies ... $2 is a good price ... but why should anyone pay for their own books and only get 20% of the sales, when they can do the exact same thing you would do and get 100% ... NOW if you PAY for the printing and such and the authors get an upfront fee of $2,500 ... you might have something and you could print 2,500 copies and pay for the manuscript for $7.50 ... and give them away to registrants for FREE but of course include the cost in the Summit price.

Also, who owns the copyright ... reprint rights ...ancillary rights ... movie rights and such and for how long. And, when do these rights revert to the author should they be given as part of the publishing contract.

What does the marketing budget? Do you have reps to libraries, book stores, schools
    and companies? Who pays for the authors 'book signing trips?' Who has rights of refusal on the advertising. Are their penalties that accrue to the author IF you do not
    promote the book as outlined in the contract. What will be the retail price. the wholesale price, the distributor price, the library price. And so on.

On the other hand, if you set up an affiliate program that pays $1/book ordered and print them for $4 each with a minimum order of 100 coppies ... you can get every academic on the planet to send you some book manuscripts to print.

You don't own anything, you just print the books. The eggheads can market them or use them to sell reprint rights to major publishers. Book in hand plays in academia.

As I mentioned, we are working with Morgan James. If you are familiar with them and their deals, you would know they get the bulk of the money in this relationship.

Yes, there are other ways to do it. I had a book published by Que. I've been through the game and have insight on it to share with authors working with us. I don't know if you've done the same, but I found my publisher to be entirely unhelpful with anything and everything.

Self publishing isn't the same, as you're the only promoter of your work. Everything is at your own expense. Yes, you can get in Amazon and other online bookstores, as well as offline bookstores on your own that way. This avenue is doable if you have the time.

To reiterate what I included in the original post, we'll be running magazine ads (FeedFront magazine), as well as advertising and marketing the books at Affiliate Summit, on top of our blogs, sites, podcasts, videos, etc.

Personally, I think those promotional opportunities have value (feel free to look at the prices for a full page ad in the magazine and the like). You're welcome to disagree.

As far as all of your questions, I'd be happy to entertain them if you're serious about working with us.

All promotional activities in publishing have value ... but most people do not need 2,500 books in boxes in their garage. First, you need to send out at least 100 copies to be reviewed by major book review places. You need some to sell at 'Author" lectures (CSPN BOOKS type things).

Now I have no problem with your publishing the books, but with you NOT paying the authors anything up front and making them pay for the books ... YOU are the publisher.
    Not the author.

Would I sell you a book on those terms? ... like NEVER. But pay me a retainer for the book up front and a 20% royalty, you pay for the books and I get say 40 copies and we might have a deal. How much up front? Depends on what the book is about, where it will be marketed and a whole passle of other considerations.

Giving away a new book at the Summit as part of the entry fee is a good marketing tactic. If you plan to give away 1,000 then the up front fee would be the 20% of the retail price up front on the first 1,000.

Publishing is a tricky business ... most publishers pay you up front for the manuscript
    do a token marketing thing upon publication and if the book sells, they are you best friend , if not you are lost to them in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    Publishing is a tricky business ... most publishers pay you up front for the manuscript do a token marketing thing upon publication and if the book sells, they are you best friend , if not you are lost to them in a heartbeat.
    It is a relatively rare feat for an author to sell a book. Anybody who is in that position - congratulations to them.

The people that make more than minimum wage for their time authoring a book (not counting the marketing) are a much rarer case.

In the end, if you don't have marketing muscle, you're likely to fail. And few first-time authors get any support.

It's all about your perspective. I didn't complain about the pittance I got for putting a huge amount of work into my book.

I appreciated the benefit of having a book when looking to book clients, and it had a substantial impact. The money I made off consulting was way more significant than the receipts from the advance and affiliate commissions combined.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread