Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    How Do You Keep Links To Static Pages Out Of The Menu Bar
    It's probably something simple or right in front of me and I'm missing but -

When you make pages instead of posts, they're static pages. For example, I just have a few, couple of them being an About Us page and a Contact Us page. And when I make those pages, they automatically show on the top menu bar.

What I want to do is make more static pages but I don't want them to show up there. And I guess there are a couple of ways to link to those pages from the sidebar like (Links your blogroll) or (Text Arbitrary text or HTML) those widgets you can add to the sidebar.

I'm trying to make it more like a website than blog and those pages are basically going to be site map pages. It's going to be about 6 different sections. But I just want those static pages in the sidebar, not the top. Kind of like a regular site. If anybody knows how to go about doing that, thanks.

edited to add:

I guess there really isn't much difference between a page and a post. With both it looks like you can decide if you want to allow comments and pings. With posts you also have tags and categories. So I guess I can make a post without any tags or categories, even disallow comments to make it more static like. Or is there a better way?
    Last edited by Trust; August 29th, 2009 at 05:14 PM.

I don't think new "pages" will be added to the nav bar at the top if you have one. I went into edit theme and took that nav bar out of header.php My links to About and Contact are elsewhere.

Did you say what theme it is somewhere? We could look at a copy to make sure if you need assuming it's a free one .

ABW Ambassador

http and a telephoto
    There is a control in the header probably. I haven't looked at that theme specifically, if there isn't a control to turn the pages on/off, look in the header.php for the part that has the navigation and remove the call for the pages.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

You have forgot to mention what kind of CMS do you use. I went to your website and saw it was WordPress. In WP "Page" and "Category" are 2 different things. You should place the static pages under section "Pages" and to make sure that the WP theme is not made, so the categories, that feature active content to appear in this menu bar... You might need to make some changes in the WP theme code.

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, wordpress. That isn't my site, if you're talking about the Chris Pirillo one, it's where I got the theme and he uses it also.

I was hoping it could be something done inside wordpress, point and click, check off a box kind of thing but it looks like I would have to get into the code. I like having the About Us/Contact Us stuff in that top menu, I just wanted to be able to control which static pages go where.

"In WP "Page" and "Category" are 2 different things."

Yep, but what about Page and Post. Like in the example I gave above:

"I guess there really isn't much difference between a page and a post. With both it looks like you can decide if you want to allow comments and pings. With posts you also have tags and categories. So I guess I can make a post without any tags or categories, even disallow comments to make it more static like. Or is there a better way?"

I guess that would be a way to do it? Where I can make a post, turn off the comments and such so it's like making a page. Then I can link to them like :

"And I guess there are a couple of ways to link to those pages from the sidebar like (Links your blogroll) or (Text Arbitrary text or HTML) those widgets you can add to the sidebar."

In the widgets, there should be a place to exclude pages by page number. I don't recall the name right off, but I've done it. I'll take a look in a few and see what I can find.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Posts can be part of a group of posts and part of a category. Pages are part of the structure of the websites themselves. Think of posts like "articles" or "news pages". The pages are more like a place for auxiliary content... at least in blogs.

And yet again, another WordPress plugin comes to the rescue ...

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page-link-manager/

That little baby, Page Link Manager, has worked like a charm for me in ever version of WP I've used and with every theme I've tried. Should do the job, and is very simple.
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto
    The plugins work for the pages in the sidebar, but not in the header which is where I think Trust is referring too.

The difference between posts and pages:
    Posts are in the RSS
    Posts are in Categories

Pages are not in the RSS (unless you use a plugin that adds them)
    Pages have their own "structure" where you can have pages under pages, but they are not in true categories.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy

That little baby, Page Link Manager, has worked like a charm for me in ever version of WP I've used and with every theme I've tried. Should do the job, and is very simple.
    Ah-ha. That looks like the winner, Gary.

I've been thinking about the same thing for a couple of niche sites where I would like to create several pages as well as posts.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    Like in this site - http://chris.pirillo.com/wicketpixie/

Home About Social Me, every new page I make goes up there.

Now I'm fine with the Home, About Me stuff being there but not the other static pages I wanted.

"The difference between posts and pages:
    Posts are in the RSS
    Posts are in Categories

Pages have their own "structure" where you can have pages under pages, but they are not in true categories."

On the post being in categories part. It's only in there if you put them in there correct? When you're making a new post you have that section to the right, Categories that you can check off which Category you want the post to be in. But if I don't check off anything, then they shouldn't be in the Categories, if I got that right?

There is a default category for each WP blog theme and new posts go there if you do not choose to include them in any other category.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Posts are in Categories

Pages have their own "structure" where you can have pages under pages, but they are not in true categories."

On the post being in categories part. It's only in there if you put them in there correct? When you're making a new post you have that section to the right, Categories that you can check off which Category you want the post to be in. But if I don't check off anything, then they shouldn't be in the Categories, if I got that right?
    No, if you don't put them in a category, they automatically go into uncategorized category. Or if you've renamed that category, whatever its name.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

http and a telephoto
    You should always rename the uncategorized category as soon as you set up your blog, and yes, anything you don't assign to a different category goes there.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy

I tried that and it looks like it just adds something called Pages 1 in the widget section. Doesn't do what I'm looking for.

When I make pages, I want something where I can pick where they go. Top menu bar or sidebar. They automatically go in the top menu bar and getting them to the sidebar isn't a problem. Unless I go into the code and then somehow specify which pages go where.

But if I make a post, close off comments, don't check any category boxes etc. Make it more like a Page since there isn't that much of a difference between the two (i know pages you can have comments but I don't want them for what I'm doing) Then just go into widgets and link to it. That should work right?

"You should always rename the uncategorized category as soon as you set up your blog, and yes, anything you don't assign to a different category goes there."

Ah ok, so if I don't pick anything, it defaults to Uncategorized. I guess I can just make new Categories for those pages. Then I guess I would have to make 1 new one for each page but noindex them so there isn't any dupe content.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    You should always rename the uncategorized category as soon as you set up your blog, and yes, anything you don't assign to a different category goes there.
    Why? I just never put anything in it.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Why? I just never put anything in it.
    If you never use it great, but most people do and might not realize renaming it is a very good idea.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Thanks but I'm trying it and a lot of those plugins are for organizing pages in the sidebar.

I guess what I'm looking for is when you go to make a Page and you're on the Add New Page screen to be able to specify where it goes. Something like

Add To Menu Bar (check box here where you can check y or n)
    Sidebar (check box here where you can check y or n)

Something like that. I just want to make new pages but keep them out of that top bar and leave some of the pages like the About Us type stuff, there. I guess that's more theme, getting in the code type of thing to be able to that.

yes, you can have multiple instances of the flex pages widget. Write the page tell it where you want it to go. You can use it in place of the current header menu and exclude all pages except the ones you want in the header.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I found and installed Flexi Pages Widget and it seemed to do what you need. It allows you to include or exclude your Home, About Us, etc. I put it in the sidebar. Give that a look.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    I found and installed Flexi Pages Widget and it seemed to do what you need. It allows you to include or exclude your Home, About Us, etc. I put it in the sidebar. Give that a look.
    I see that in can do that when I checked it. But it's more that I want to exclude any more Pages I make from that top menu bar. And if I remember correctly from trying out many other themes, most having that top bar, when you make pages, they automatically go there.

And I guess, one way would be what knight said, take out the current header menu, get the code from the widget and put it there in it's place. So my tech challenged self has to learn some new things.

Can't believe there's not a simpler way available. I figure it would be something simple to put in Wordpress. Make a New Page -

New Page and then just have a checkbox that you can check - Don't include page in header menu.

Under Appearance then Widgets, it's all sidebar stuff. Would be nice if there was something like header Widget. Don't know if some other themes have it or if that's a Wordpress thing.

Trust is back online....it's half time for the Falcons.

It's not as bad as it looks.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Some of the newer premium themes like Flexx and Headway Themes have the ability to decide which pages will show up in the navigation - same goes for the categories. The other option is to have someone who is comfortable working with the WordPress PHP hard code your navigation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast