http and a telephoto
    I haven't heard much about the Athlon processors and am seeing them all over the place. Are they any good? I do heavy graphics processing and run perl scripts. Would an Athlon work ok? Or do I need a P4? And what is a Pentium M?

I got my income tax refund, and am currently using a P3 laptop and need to upgrade I haven't been computer shopping in 2 years.

Please don't tell me about Macs or Linux boxes I am a creature of habit with too many PC programs to make a full switch over!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    In any Laptop go Intel Pentium due to better heat management and similar performance. Desktops seek something with a Midsized tower case with lot's of cooling and either scream beyond your computing needs at the 3 GHZ level.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

You can get into some very hot debate over processors but, an AMD and Pentium are both very simliar. The major difference is that an Ahlon processor is produced by AMD and a Pentium processor is produced by Intel.

Intel markets their product much better than AMD but, I doubt you'll be disspointed with their Athlon processor. If you're really concerned, you can pick up any computer magazine and it should have benchmarks of all current processors using various types of software.

Cheers,

I've had my Athlon notebook for about 18 months and have no complaints. Its possible that you can get better performance from a Pentium, but if you're trying to save some money, I would feel perfectly confident buying an Athlon.

Good luck!
    John

ABW Ambassador
    You won't go wrong with either an AMD or Intel. I've got an Athlon in my home PC, but we use Intel in the server. Both perform equally well.

As EcomCity alluded to, the Athlons tend to run a little hotter than the Pentiums, so most people choose a Pentium for a laptop. But the newest AMD has advantages over a Pentium on certain applications.

Check online computer magazines and places like Tom's Hardware and CNet for recommendations based upon what you're going to be doing with the laptop.

CNet is a good place to start as they have their own ratings on Laptops as well as prices. Think they have about 500 laptops rated.

http and a telephoto
    Heat management would be an issue since I rarely turn my laptop off... I have issues with space available so may need to stick with a laptop even though I know I would get more for my money with a desktop system. I will go check out CNet and some of the online versions of the PCMags. But nothing is better than hearing from people who are using them!
    Deborah Carney

Pentium M is the processor used in Centrino notebooks, it's built for mobile use using technology and ideas from both the pentium 3(more efficient processing) and pentium 4(more advanced bus architecture).. and has a huge level 2 cache of 1mb. The next version of the pentium M is due soon with 2mb level 2 cache.

Athlons get a bad rep for heat while the latest prescott based p4 processors are outputting heat similar to a 100 watt light bulb.

you really can't go wrong with either p4 or athlon these days. If you're looking into a new notebook check out the emachines m6805 or m6807 which include athlon64's and a damn good video card or anything based on the centrino/pentium M processor for longer battery life.

http and a telephoto
    Thanks, that was the best explaination of the differences I have seen I think I have settled on an Averatech 5110 from Sam's Club IF I can get out of the house (a foot of snow stopped by today) and if they have it in stock. Otherwise, there are a couple of other places to pick it up.

I wanted to buy something from one of my merchants, but alas the prices were not in my range. But I did look!
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Newegg usually has some really good prices as well.
    I forgot what I was doing.

One of the dell inspiron 8600 recommended solutions is $1399 after $250 rebate, it has 1.6ghz Pentium M and 15.4 inch ultrasharp(bright) widescreen.. 1280x800 resolution.

then again for the price of a notebook you can get a really nice desktop

Anandtech is another good site. Lots of comparisons between AMD and Intel chips based on performance etc. And lots of other hardware info.

http and a telephoto
    I know I could get a heck of a desktop for what I will spend, but space is an issue and I hope to be traveling a bit.
    Deborah Carney

How about this:
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topi...=04&l=en&s=bsd

(no aff link I don't think.. got it off techtv screensavers show segment on really great deals)

it's just the basic system no monitor or anything though

http and a telephoto
    LOL, someone else in the house is awaiting delivery on that computer, the deal with the monitor and printer. Not for my use though. I highly recommended the purchase.... The deal ends tonight and I can't purchase for a couple of days yet.
    Deborah Carney

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread