Walmart takes a Run at Amazon
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...v76ggD9ADU4EO0

The Walmart Marketplace has products from categories such as home, baby, apparel, toys and sporting goods/sports memorabilia. The retailers chosen, which include eBags, CSN Stores and Pro Team, were selected due to their large product assortments and solid customer service track records, Wal-Mart said.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I see they're also doing Classifieds - http://walmart.oodle.com/ powered by Oodle

Time will tell. They have a lot of running to do to catch up to Amazon.

That they do. I'd like to see a side by side comparison of demographics for Amazon and WalMart site visitors. Is there a mega-niche (TM) for them?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    So what is the effect of this on their affiliate program?

Is this a massive leak?
    Do we get commissions through Walmart for sales on items from these other merchants?
    Do we get commissions directly from these other merchants? What if the merchant doesn't have an affiliate program or we are not in that program (or cannot get in - declined or expired)?

What about the network differences - the article mentions eBags and CSN: Walmart is LS, eBags CJ and CSN is SAS?

What about the vast differences in commission rates between Walmart and these other merchants.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    I know with Amazon, you get paid commissions for Third Party sales/other merchants. We'll have to see with Walmart. Which is one thing I always liked with Amazon. If they have a merchant that doesn't have an affiliate program or they have one you can't get in, you can still make money with that merchant thru Amazon.

Also, are the same products offered at the same price between, say CSN sites and Walmart, or will customers find a product on CSN (through as SAS affiliate link?) and then go to Walmart to buy it, still through CSN, but for a lower price?
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I know with Amazon, you get paid commissions for Third Party sales/other merchants. We'll have to see with Walmart. Which is one thing I always liked with Amazon. If they have a merchant that doesn't have an affiliate program or they have one you can't get in, you can still make money with that merchant thru Amazon.
    Sell a product through CSN, get 10% - sell the same product through Walmart - get 4%?

Affiliate Hound, thanks for bringing me into the discussion here.

In terms of how it affects everyone, the Wal-Mart partnership is a completely separate sales portal that won't impact tracking--we will not be directing traffic from CSN Stores to Wal-Mart. Also, our prices are the same on our site as they are on Wal-Mart, and it would appear our commissions are higher in the majority of categories if they do in fact offer only 4% as you pointed out.

This partnership is about expanding our reach within the online shopping community since Wal-Mart receives around 29 million unique visitors per month. In terms of whether you will get credit for traffic that is driven to Wal-Mart that ends in a sale is a good question for their Affiliate Management Team.

I hope that explains things. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions, or just post it here and I'll continue to follow this thread.
    [FONT=Arial]Madeleine T. McGregor[/FONT]
    Gourmet Gift Baskets
    [FONT=Arial]Director of Affiliate Management
    E-mail: [email=madeleine@gourmetgiftbaskets.com]madeleine@gourmetgiftbaskets.com[/email]
    [URL=http://www.GourmetGiftBaskets.com]www.GourmetGiftBaskets.com[/URL] [/FONT]

I joined up with the Amazon Prime program. They are gonna have a hard time competing with that for those of us that order a lot. Next day shipping for $3.99 and free shipping two days. Not to mention Sat Delivery for $6.99.

I have more than made up the money spent on the yearly fee just in the first month alone and love it. Only complaint is adding more products to the Prime shipping option (though the majority qualify).

So if walmart can speed up shipping to amazon levels they might give them some competition.

If anything, this is good for CSN's affiliates because it increases brand awareness and it may have a positive impact on the conversion rate of traffic we send to CSN's own sites. It depends on how much exposure is given to them by Wal-Mart.

CSN has had a similar partnership with Amazon since last year, and in both cases I don't see this as a leak issue.

In terms of tax legislation, I guess the only nexus established is with Arkansas, where Wal-Mart is headquartered...?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Rehan
    If anything, this is good for CSN's affiliates because it increases brand awareness and it may have a positive impact on the conversion rate of traffic we send to CSN's own sites. It depends on how much exposure is given to them by Wal-Mart.
    This is exactly what we are looking for--exposure. This partnership is about really trying to push our name into the public sector. On of our longer term goals is to become a household brand name and we see this partnership as a huge stepping stone in the process. And as Rehan pointed out, brand name recognition is beneficial for all of us and will likely have a positive impact on conversion, something I know we all appreciate
    Gourmet Gift Baskets
    E-mail: [email=madeleine@gourmetgiftbaskets.com]madeleine@gourmetgiftbaskets.com[/email]

To me it appears to be a win-win-win situation; good for CSN, WalMart and Affiliates. Brand recognition is certainly a good thing.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Commissions Will Be Paid on Marketplace Sales
    email from Walmart:

Walmart dot com: Walmart Marketplace!

Dear xxxxxx,

Shop from nearly a million new items and expanded assortment with Walmart Marketplace! Help your customers find more of what they want in key categories including Home, Baby, Apparel and Sports and Fitness!

Our new expanded assortment of products will be added to our existing categories and commissioned at the current tiered rates (by category), so you don’t have to take any action in order to benefit. Purchases from Walmart Marketplace retailers are managed through the Walmart.com checkout process. Marketplace items are not eligible for Site to Store.

You will be able to see your sales on these items through the following Linkshare reports – the Individual Item Report, Product Success Report and Signature Orders Report.

Here’s how you’ll be able to identify an item as either a Marketplace or Walmart.com product:

* Transaction data: You will see either a W or M in front of the SKU number for each product
    * The Merchandiser feed: You will see either a W or M in a separate column, separate from the SKU and product name

We are excited to include this expanded assortment in the affiliate program and look forward to you driving sales and earning commissions on these new items!

Please feel free to contact us at affiliates at walmart dot com if you have additional questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddy Mac
    On of our longer term goals is to become a household brand name and we see this partnership as a huge stepping stone in the process.
    Then why does CSN market under so many different urls? Looks like over 200. This is something I have never understood since every single one of them carry the same exact product line.

And by the way ... you need to take cookwareessentials.com off the list because it just redirects to cookware.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    Then why does CSN market under so many different urls? Looks like over 200. This is something I have never understood since every single one of them carry the same exact product line.
    When CSN first started out, the idea was to have niche websites that were very specific to the product category, ie www.EveryBlender.com instead of directing everything to www.CookwareEssentials.com, and thus seemed very small and specific for the customers needs. We hoped this would give confidence to the buyer in a society in which online shopping is still not fully accepted. Although they could find all the same products and then some on the master site, these niche websites not only helped to give confidence to those customers who were not seasoned online shoppers but it also got our foot in the door in the online community and got the name CSN Stores out in the marketplace.

In the last 6 months, we have chosen to redirect over 60 sites for as we are able to build our brand name and acquire such domains as www.Cookware.com, we no longer need such domains as CookwareEssentials.com. I have posted widely about it in the past.

And thanks for bringing to to my attention that CookwareEssentials is sill on our homepage. I will notify the appropriate party and it will eventually be taken down. I can't see it leading to too much confusion with customers shopping so I assume the priority will be low, but it will get done eventually.
    Gourmet Gift Baskets

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Amazon runs the largest online retail site with enviable conversion rates. All of my niche affiliates default to Amazon for products not available through affiliate programs because some dealer sells it on Amazon. I recommend to every retailer to setup an Amazon store or someone else will.

Wal-Mart is the largest physical retailer in the nation but has a weak online presence. My wife shops there first before looking anywhere else and can't wait until we get a super Wal-Mart with groceries. Ironically, she never looks at their website nor gets retention emails from them. Wal-Mart has a long road to travel to come close to Amazon but I would kill to get my products onto their site.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread