Starting up strategy
    All

Just curious about a starting point for my overall strategy. I see proponents for the develop one website, do a deep dive on content, and continue to build on that for a period while adding ways to monetize it.

The other side of the fence seems to be the theory that you develop a good site that has a strong footprint and then monetize it. Then replicate the concept across multiple products/areas to create income in many ways.

Wondering what most people would recommend from an approach if you had it to do over again with the knowledge you have now.

This is a pretty good question, the answer however depends on the person questioning.

I would recommend plan 1 but only if you could do it with the same, continued passion over time to build a real site / resource. If not, if it's just to make money with a cookie cutter approach, then, of course #2.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Do what would provide the most value to consumers (i.e. those who would use your site). That's invariably the thing that will provide the best long-term return.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Wink My Inclination
    From the responses...it seems that either way is ok. Realistically, I am in this to make money and maximize long-term potential. Your point on having the persistence to build a large presence is key to have a solid brand. I would think I might get tired of just doing that if I don't see any upside along the way.

I think a hybrid approach (ideally) would work best for me. ie. I think I will try to build a site that has long-term promise while working on smaller projects to produce more immediate revenue. I hesitate to say immediate revenue because I have seen more than a few people struggle with that concept on these boards. That then begs the question on what is immediate to the target audience. Immediate for me is a positive net-income site within 3-4 months that I can work toward maximizing revenue on. Then replicate with up to 10 additional revenue producers by end of next year.

The long-term vision will be to tie all those smaller sites into the overall vision of the main site I will put together. Essentially adding auxilliary content through linking to partner sites (mine).

As time permits, I will continue to add content and value to the main site.

Sounds good in theory...

Maybe once you get in the swing of things and profits comming in you could devote time to your "baby" site that your passionate about and then outsource the work on your cookie cutter sites. Doing both at once with you doing all the work will reduce quality and burn you out: affiliate marketing end goal = more freedom + more time.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Great Point
    My tendency is to assume the attitude that 'if you want something done right you do it yourself'. And that is never more apparent than when it comes to my future and income.

I struggle with how and what to outsource. I am a very good writer and I have a strong programming background. That being said, I have been away from the day-to-day programming aspect for several years now that I am more on the executive management side of IT.

When it comes to outsourcing, what are the best resources and arrangements that you would pursue given my background. Honestly, I don't have a lot of money to spend on this yet but I am extremely willing to plow everything I make back into the pursuit of building a bigger network and income.

I'm going to outsource a reply to your answer.

Kidding.

elance.com
    99designs.com
    finding college students to complete simple tasks and write content on Craigslist.com

Google has a decent collaborative tool where you can work together on spreadsheets remotely (google docs).

I would also suggest typing in the keyword outsourcing in the abestweb thread search box.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Thanks
    That's a lot to digest so I may have some followup questions after looking through the sites and information.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread