Business Ethics (competitive intelligence)
    OK, here's the text of a Craigslist ad that I noticed today:
    Comparison Shopping Engine Marketing Advisor

_______ is a Comparison Shopping Engine . . .

We are seeking a contract Marketing Advisor.
    This role works with the VP of Marketing and COO and reports directly to the CEO.

Responsibilities:
    -Develop Marketing plan

Requirements:
    -We don't care what school you went to, or if you have a degree, we just want to know if you know what you're talking about.
    -5 years experience as Marketing Manager or more senior at a Comparison Shopping Engine
    -2 years experience as VP of Marketing at a Comparison Shopping Engine
    -Have developed and implemented and analyzed marketing plans and forecasts

Yup, that's it. But please, please don't waste our time if you haven't worked at a CSE. We have plenty of marketing experience elsewhere.

Each time I re-read the ad, I'm more confident that this is nothing other than an offer to buy trade secrets from (former?) employees of competitors. The red flags, for me, are:
    • express exclusion of any specific education or skills;
    • stating that only candidates with high-level executive experience working for a direct competitor will be considered;
    • stating that the candidate must be familiar with the competitor's "marketing plans and forecasts"; and
    • this consultant ("contract marketing advisor") will report directly to the CEO, not to the VP Marketing.

I suppose I should be thankful that the company isn't pretending to have a "real job" available for marketing work -- they're so focused on only talking to competitors' (former?) employees, that they clearly aren't wasting the time of other applicants (though I'm sure they'll get the usual flood of automated resumes).

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    OK, here's the text of a Craigslist ad that I noticed today:
    Comparison Shopping Engine Marketing Advisor

_______ is a Comparison Shopping Engine . . .

We are seeking a contract Marketing Advisor.
    This role works with the VP of Marketing and COO and reports directly to the CEO.

Responsibilities:
    -Develop Marketing plan

Requirements:
    -We don't care what school you went to, or if you have a degree, we just want to know if you know what you're talking about.
    -5 years experience as Marketing Manager or more senior at a Comparison Shopping Engine
    -2 years experience as VP of Marketing at a Comparison Shopping Engine
    -Have developed and implemented and analyzed marketing plans and forecasts

Yup, that's it. But please, please don't waste our time if you haven't worked at a CSE. We have plenty of marketing experience elsewhere.

Each time I re-read the ad, I'm more confident that this is nothing other than an offer to buy trade secrets from (former?) employees of competitors. The red flags, for me, are:
    • express exclusion of any specific education or skills;
    • stating that only candidates with high-level executive experience working for a direct competitor will be considered;
    • stating that the candidate must be familiar with the competitor's "marketing plans and forecasts"; and
    • this consultant ("contract marketing advisor") will report directly to the CEO, not to the VP Marketing.

I suppose I should be thankful that the company isn't pretending to have a "real job" available for marketing work -- they're so focused on only talking to competitors' (former?) employees, that they clearly aren't wasting the time of other applicants (though I'm sure they'll get the usual flood of automated resumes).
    I'd say the ad is a bit unprofessionally written, but it doesn't stand out as anything odd to me. High-level or consulting positions often reference direct experience needed in the same field/position. Whether they'll find anyone who fits that bill just by posting a position is doubtful. For that kind of thing, you really need a network or executive search company.

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread