ABW Ambassador
    "No More Smoke and Mirrors"
    # Corp.'s struggles with MySpace and recent reshuffling of its interactive unit.
    # Google's inability to find a revenue stream beyond AdSense. (Disclosure, Altucher is currently short Google.)
    # Microsoft's 15-years of online futility and Yahoo's more recent stumbles.
    # The absence of profits - or a clear path to get them -- for "hot" Web 2.0 sites like Facebook and Twitter.

Yahoo!

If an analyst doesn't even know that DoubleClick or Google Affiliate exists, I don't trust any recommendations...

As for his comment on Facebook, Facebook does have significant revenues from ads, but since they're a private company, of course no information on profits is released. Facebook, unlike Twitter, has revenue and a plan.

ABW Ambassador
    Facebook had some info released last year - http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle3289054.ece

Twitter has plans to roll out some commercial accounts - http://digital.venturebeat.com/2009/...er-stone-says/

I know YouTube is projected to lose something like 500 million this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    If an analyst doesn't even know that DoubleClick or Google Affiliate exists, I don't trust any recommendations...

As for his comment on Facebook, Facebook does have significant revenues from ads, but since they're a private company, of course no information on profits is released. Facebook, unlike Twitter, has revenue and a plan.
    I recently was at a gathering on Long Island where I was chatting by the pool with an analyst who is on TV quite often. I told him that I had some websites, when he asked what I did. He decided to impress me with his knowledge of the internet economy with a long winded assessment of G that actually was nothing but a bunch of buzz words and phrases. As my patience wore thin, I decided to play stupid and asked "How does G make its money? Where do the billions come from every month?".
    He didn't miss a beat and said, "An internet consortium pays them for every search and they make some money from advertising."
    I was so embarassed for the guy that I made an excuse and left to talk to others.

I've already seen him on TV this morning being touted as an expert on the Disney/Marvel deal.

"An internet consortium pays them for every search." I cringe even from typing that. I listened to this guys advice for years. UGH!

Internet Consortium FTW!

Please don't mention us again.

Sincerely,
    The Internet Consortium

"An internet consortium pays them for every search."

That is how Google explains Adwords to the clueless.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread