ABW Ambassador
    "No More Smoke and Mirrors"
    # Corp.'s struggles with MySpace and recent reshuffling of its interactive unit.
    # Google's inability to find a revenue stream beyond AdSense. (Disclosure, Altucher is currently short Google.)
    # Microsoft's 15-years of online futility and Yahoo's more recent stumbles.
    # The absence of profits - or a clear path to get them -- for "hot" Web 2.0 sites like Facebook and Twitter.

Yahoo!

If an analyst doesn't even know that DoubleClick or Google Affiliate exists, I don't trust any recommendations...

As for his comment on Facebook, Facebook does have significant revenues from ads, but since they're a private company, of course no information on profits is released. Facebook, unlike Twitter, has revenue and a plan.

ABW Ambassador
    Facebook had some info released last year - http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle3289054.ece

Twitter has plans to roll out some commercial accounts - http://digital.venturebeat.com/2009/...er-stone-says/

I know YouTube is projected to lose something like 500 million this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    If an analyst doesn't even know that DoubleClick or Google Affiliate exists, I don't trust any recommendations...

As for his comment on Facebook, Facebook does have significant revenues from ads, but since they're a private company, of course no information on profits is released. Facebook, unlike Twitter, has revenue and a plan.
    I recently was at a gathering on Long Island where I was chatting by the pool with an analyst who is on TV quite often. I told him that I had some websites, when he asked what I did. He decided to impress me with his knowledge of the internet economy with a long winded assessment of G that actually was nothing but a bunch of buzz words and phrases. As my patience wore thin, I decided to play stupid and asked "How does G make its money? Where do the billions come from every month?".
    He didn't miss a beat and said, "An internet consortium pays them for every search and they make some money from advertising."
    I was so embarassed for the guy that I made an excuse and left to talk to others.

I've already seen him on TV this morning being touted as an expert on the Disney/Marvel deal.

"An internet consortium pays them for every search." I cringe even from typing that. I listened to this guys advice for years. UGH!

Internet Consortium FTW!
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

Please don't mention us again.

Sincerely,
    The Internet Consortium
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

"An internet consortium pays them for every search."

That is how Google explains Adwords to the clueless.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread