View Poll Results: Do You Agree With GANs New Mandatory Affiliate Policy Regarding Adsnese?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

6 9.84%
  • NO

50 81.97%
  • I don't care - I do not use GAN

5 8.20%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question GANs New Mandatory Affiliate Policy
    As many of you know, or are just realizing, GAN (Google Aff. Network) (GooGoo) (Gostapo) is now making it mandatory for ALL affiliates to have an active Adsense account in order to keep their affiliate accounts.

The reason for this so they say is that they want to run all payments through Adsense – regardless of the fact that this means a large segment of affiliates without Adsense (either by choice or because they’ve been banned without a judge or jury and a less than stellar appeals system) cannot continue to do business with GAN merchants.

This will end many long-term relationships between established affiliates and merchants.

If you have not heard about this new directive which is mandatory – here is the forum that discusses it.

If you do not signup by Sept. 21 or if you have been declined you could risk losing your July and August commissions and of course any future commissions regardless of your affiliate standing.

(Mods - I put this here for exposure because I do not believe everyone is aware of what is going on and may not see it if it is on the GAN forum)
    Last edited by leeann; September 1st, 2009 at 01:49 PM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

This poll is a waste of time.

I don't think it's a waste at all, the problem is that affiliate's voices haven't been heard, if they were most of the issues today and in the past would have been avoided.

That said, so far we have 10 NO and zero other votes - that screams volumes to me.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by IAmMe
    Yeah. You're probably right. Sometimes I guess you just have at accept getting screwed. I guess this is one of those times. Although, with Haiko's last post that I just saw, I feel more motivated. I'm just worried people are not aware of what is happening.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Leann,

People are aware, I think they are scared. Imagine - you speak up against GAN and your SERPs get affected!! So, of course none will say anything.

That isn't reality
    , but it's the perception, GAN has to over come this and they need to stop being a machine and actually caring about affiliate needs, but you see they don't have to, they've done tests without issue and as such the plan was implemented because of a higher internal need and that always outweighs the small affiliate's needs - It's just how it goes. I do however think this is a great opportunity for affiliates to start working with merchants and networks that do listen to them.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I voted NO because I don't see the point to them doing this. However, I already had an Adsense account that I did attach to my GAN account.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I voted NO because I don't see the point to them doing this. However, I already had an Adsense account that I did attach to my GAN account.
    Most everyone who does will and those who do not will try to. You can't blame anyone. Most all of us all tried. But it doesn't mean anyone has to like it.

It sets a definite Modus operandi which Googoo will continue (as it has always done) with future mandatory directives for its affiliates.

If this current direction had anything at all to do with the affiliate business, then maybe I could understand the objective. But it does not.

Bottom line, Googgoo is willing to let go (fire-ban-not pay) all of us who cannot have adsnese - all of us who for years have generated sales for merchants -- during an already really tough economic time -- just so they can (so they say) streamline how payments are made.

It also shuts out a lot of new affiliates since generally Googoo will not open adsnese accounts for websites with low traffic.

Remember -- you are signing an agreement that says that if you do not get adsense clicks, they can close your account. In fact -- they do not even need a reason! Read what you are signing and see if you really want to put your eggs in that basket or, as Haiko suggested, go with networks which make an effort to work for its partners (affiliates/merchants) and listen to them.
    Last edited by leeann; September 1st, 2009 at 03:12 PM.
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by IAmMe
    It very well may be a waste of time, but you never know. CJ was just as adamant about LMI and LinkShare was just as adamant about Project Athena, Synergy Analytics, and the Dashboard. CJ eventually came to their senses about LMI. LinkShare eventually came to their senses about Project Athena. Companies can change their mind when they see a strong opposition to their plans.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    It very well may be a waste of time, but you never know. CJ was just as adamant about LMI and LinkShare was just as adamant about Project Athena, Synergy Analytics, and the Dashboard. CJ eventually came to their senses about LMI. LinkShare eventually came to their senses about Project Athena. Companies can change their mind when they see a strong opposition to their plans.
    the Power over this issue is with the Merchants. They are the ones who can make a difference, if anyone can.

I have yet to see a single merchant post in any of the threads on this issue.

Correct me if I am wrong:
    Merchants - 0
    Affiliate Managers - 0
    OPMs - 1

If enough merchants tell G they will leave GAN if their affiliates are removed, G will have to consider the resultant loss of income.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

the Power over this issue is with the Merchants. They are the ones who can make a difference, if anyone can.

I have yet to see a single merchant post in any of the threads on this issue.
    I would think that merchants could be working behind the scenes to come up on a second network so as to save their affiliates. If so, they might not post until they are ready to launch. If they are not doing this, then I am amazed that they don't care.

I have a working adsense account but I do feel for those who don't. It is frustrating that large corporations have so much control in this industry, so little transparency and the intentional lack of customer service for their customers.

What a slanted poll. How about an "I don't care what they do as long as I get paid" option? It's clear you're a bit paranoid about Google's (or GooGoo? WTF? Do you want to be taken seriously?) dominance/reach.

Have you gotten verification that if you've been banned from AdSense, you can't open up a new account to get paid by GAN? Have you verified that you'll be terminated if you don't get AdSense clicks? By the looks of it, no. Get answers, and then post. Baseless acquisition & speculation does nothing but harm the legitimacy of our field.

I voted!!! I don't use them nor have i applied but if I did have them i would have voted NO I don't agree seems like they are pulling a microsoft
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Have you gotten verification that if you've been banned from AdSense, you can't open up a new account to get paid by GAN?
    There is a big thread on this, linked to from this thread -

"For those of you who do not wish to create an AdSense account, or who have your appeal denied or choose not to file an appeal: after October 31st, your Google Affiliate Network account will be closed."

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...5&page=8&pp=25
    Last edited by Trust; September 1st, 2009 at 10:18 PM.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    What a slanted poll. How about an "I don't care what they do as long as I get paid" option? It's clear you're a bit paranoid about Google's (or GooGoo? WTF? Do you want to be taken seriously?) dominance/reach.

Have you gotten verification that if you've been banned from AdSense, you can't open up a new account to get paid by GAN?
    That IS verified and clearly stated. Unless, of course, you use a different name, social security number, address, etc. etc.. and sneak one by G.
    Have you verified that you'll be terminated if you don't get AdSense clicks? By the looks of it, no. Get answers, and then post. Baseless acquisition & speculation does nothing but harm the legitimacy of our field.
    That part is still speculation, but a REASONABLE ASSUMPTION if you read the AdSense TOS.

The livelihoods of many people are at stake here, as I read these posts (I personally, am not affected) and a discussion of all of these possibilities is entirely proper, so people can prepare, and take whatever path they deem necessary and appropriate for their particular position.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I voted NO eventhough I am not affected by GAN either way.

However, when you sign on to be part of GAN, you have a to agree to the term of agreements, rules and regulations. Nowhere in it says you have to be paid through Adsense, especially for those who have signed on before GAN took over and were part of Performics. So if they change the terms of service or payments now Aug 2009, the existing affiliates should be grandfathered in. Let new affiliates get paid through Adsense but leave existing affiliates alone. Then you can make an informed decision whether you want to join GAN or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "For those of you who do not wish to create an AdSense account, or who have your appeal denied or choose not to file an appeal: after October 31st, your Google Affiliate Network account will be closed."
    An appeal process does exist, and frankly, I don't want to know what kind of legitimate, performing affiliate had an AdSense account banned in the past and can't get an appeal through based on the fact that they're a legitimate affiliate. Google wouldn't turn down revenue without a good reason, would they? Frankly, it's up to Google as to who they let work in their network.

ABW Ambassador
    "Google wouldn't turn down revenue without a good reason, would they?"

Again, read the thread. Yes, they are.

And these are affiliates that are currently in the network. If there really was an issue with these affiliates, GAN would have removed them by now.

"Frankly, it's up to Google as to who they let work in their network."

Some affiliates are already in the network. And if you're a merchant with one of these affiliates that perform or are an affiliate making some money, I think it might matter to them, even if it doesn't matter to you.

Have you gotten verification that if you've been banned from AdSense, you can't open up a new account to get paid by GAN? Have you verified that you'll be terminated if you don't get AdSense clicks? By the looks of it, no. Get answers, and then post. Baseless acquisition & speculation does nothing but harm the legitimacy of our field.
    It appears you need to be the one reading what you are agreeing to, not me.

What is slanted about yes, no, i don't care? Seems like a straight shot to me.

And yes, the site is banned - not me. The previous owner was banned. Yes, I've appealed it 3 (maybe more over the years) times.

And as far as the, "take it seriously" comment - Well PIP, I guess I'd take it as seriously as I would comments made from someone who likes to be identified with South Park Elementary..... if you get my drift....

Last edited by leeann; September 1st, 2009 at 11:05 PM.
    leeann

An appeal process does exist, and frankly, I don't want to know what kind of legitimate, performing affiliate had an AdSense account banned in the past and can't get an appeal through based on the fact that they're a legitimate affiliate. Google wouldn't turn down revenue without a good reason, would they? Frankly, it's up to Google as to who they let work in their network.
    This is an incredibly naive comment. It is exactly the kind of thinking that Googoo likes to promote. The ridiculous assumption that anyone who was banned from Googoo deserved it is the kind of trash they like to convince people to believe.

There are many ways, some very devious, that get sites/people banned from Googoo. There are also many many mistakes made by Googoo -- but they don't care.

It is also something that fortunately for you, you have not had to experience, so therefore really have no knowledge to back up your assumptions. Read and learn is what I suggest to you.

But, it is all a moot fact, because the real issue here is Googoo blocking established proven sites -- affiliate sites --- not adsnese sites --- from continuing to build sales for established merchants in their affiliate --not adsnese --network.
    leeann

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    And yes, the site is banned - not me. The previous owner was banned. Yes, I've appealed it 3 (maybe more over the years) times.
    Sorry for not reading a 13 page thread, but can you not sign up for an AdSense account to get your GAN payments using a different URL? You're not putting the AdSense on the domain, so that shouldn't matter (though if it's been said otherwise, my apologies).

Have you tried getting an advertiser that you're promoting to contact Google to see if you can get an account? I'd think that might be useful.

I just find it hard to take posts seriously when you refer to Google as "Googoo" and claim that their policies are akin to McCarthyism... You might have valid concerns, but the way they're presented are important to how others (affiliates, merchants, Google) perceive the complaints.

You might have valid concerns, but the way they're presented are important to how others (affiliates, merchants, Google) perceive the complaints.
    Okay, Pip, (err..Joshua) I'll keep that in mind. But in all seriousness, I am glad you took the time to read about the problem.
    leeann

"McCarthyism is the politically motivated practice of making accusations of disloyalty, subversion, or treason without proper regard for evidence. The term is also now used more generally to describe reckless, unsubstantiated accusations. ..

...Suspicions were often given credence despite inconclusive or questionable evidence...Many people suffered loss of employment, destruction of their careers, and even imprisonment." Wikipedia

Yeah, it fits.
    leeann

Sorry for not reading a 13 page thread, but can you not sign up for an AdSense account to get your GAN payments using a different URL? You're not putting the AdSense on the domain, so that shouldn't matter (though if it's been said otherwise, my apologies).
    Doesn't work this way. Adsense accounts go by payee (and in the United States unique payees are only created by unique SS#s or EINs), not URLs. You can't sign up for a new Adsense account just because you have another URL if the payee is the same.

Some people suggested creating new accounts under different payees - different businesses etc. Adsense has a section on "related" accounts in their disabled accounts FAQ which makes it clear that they can disable accounts if they determine they're related in some way to previously disabled accounts. They don't specify what kind of relation they would consider sufficient for this.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Personally, I didn't like the idea of having to go along with it, mostly because now I'll get paid once a month instead of twice a month.

And surely there are some cases where other folks may have unfairly been banned from Adsense. That's a shame.

But it's their own business and they can run it as they please.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast