Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    H1n1
    Never thought I'd need to do it but I just posted an office policy to help prevent the spread of the Flu and H1N1 through our office. I think we're gonna take the threat seriously this year.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

ABW Ambassador
    What does that entail besides washing hands which people should do normally anyway.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    What does that entail besides washing hands which people should do normally anyway.
    That's quite a task when dealing with children. For some reason they can't keep their hands out of their nose and out of their mouth.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    EASY FUNDRAISING IDEAS FLU PREVENTION

I am not sure whether the threat of a widespread outbreak of H1N1 is accurate or overblown. But since we are all around kids I think we should implement the following rules here:
    1. Please wash your hands every time you enter the office. Repeat the hand washing when you return from lunch or any time you leave the building.

2. Please be sure when you cough to cover your mouth. If you cover your mouth with your hands please sanitize your hands. I will provide hand sanitizer for every desk. I suggest using a tissue to cover your mouth.

3. If someone in your immediate family or circle of friends gets the Flu please report it to everyone at the office as soon as possible.

4. If you have a runny nose please discard used tissues in your own trash can and empty your trash can into the dumpster before you leave each day. Then spray your trash can with Lysol.

5. If you have flu symptoms and believe you have the flu please do not come to work. Go to the doctor and follow their recommendations for work. Although we are a small company we will attempt to compensate everyone for any required sick days.

6. Once H1N1 vaccinations are available I will reimburse you for getting the vaccine if needed. Please bring me a receipt.

Howard
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Gottlieb

5. If you have flu symptoms and believe you have the flu please do not come to work. Go to the doctor and follow their recommendations for work. Although we are a small company we will attempt to compensate everyone for any required sick days.
    When my kids got sick in the spring they said blanket statement, stay home for 5 days. The flu was rampant in MA then so they were not even checking to see whether it was or wasn't the H1N1 flu. The kids were dropping like flies then and there were many kids out sick. This affected parents' work schedule too.

Our kids in Utah brought home a letter in the first week back to school about the Swine flu. If any of our kids get sick then all of them, 5, are supposed to stay home for 5 days and the sick one 7 days.
    They're not messing around....but, let's assume 3 of the five get sick - that's at least 15 days of missed school - and 3 getting sick at least once - very likely.

I have heard from a friend in college that they admin is thinking of closing the school down for a bit bc so many students have the h1n1 already.
    did anyone else see this article....apparently, ten percent of New Yorkers have had the virus: http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...57T26Y20090830
    Jason
    [url=http://www.bhphoto.com/]B&H Photo[/url] :|: [url=http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/affiliates.jsp]Join Our Affiliate Program[/url] :|: [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2478435]Join on CJ[/URL]
    email: Jasonn at BHphoto.com

I have yet to hear that the H1N1 kills a larger percentage of it's victims than does any other flu.

Am I wrong? If so, point me to a good reference so I can start worrying..

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    cougarmark, I also heard Utah news that certain school district(s) were putting in place a "ban" on skin contact. ie, no shaking hands, high fives, hugging, etc. Someone pointed out: how in the heck are kids suppose to play soccer, basketball, etc. while avoiding skin to skin contact? Ha.

I think our whole family already had the "swine flu" last year before the news went nuts about it. We all (me, wife and toddler daughter) had a bad flu that had symptoms that fit the description...right after ASW 09.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmMe
    I have yet to hear that the H1N1 kills a larger percentage of it's victims than does any other flu.

Am I wrong? If so, point me to a good reference so I can start worrying..
    It's flu like any other flu - no more dangerous, no more contagious, but the epicenter of a massive BIG PHARMA campaign, with one motivation and one motivation only - PROFIT.

There was a long thread on this issue earlier this year, when the health-pharma-insurance industrial complex scared the hell out of people, for the same reason.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I think I just sniffled a little. Wonder if it is coincidence that it's the Wednesday before Labor Day? hmmmm

Yep, it was sniffle. I am going home. Tracking will not affected though...
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    It's flu like any other flu - no more dangerous, no more contagious, but the epicenter of a massive BIG PHARMA campaign, with one motivation and one motivation only - PROFIT.
    Well, THAT I totally agree with and I believe is the cause of all the hoopla. It is so ridiculous and gives AM a bad name.

Yep, it was sniffle. I am going home. Tracking will not affected though...
    That was funny

swine flu
    so hey, you all can make jokes, and to be honest, i really don't think the swine flu is terribly more dangerous than the regular flu. i think it's great that some places are taking this seriously, like they should take any contagious disease seriously, in the terms of telling their employees to stay home if they feel sick. It's a bonus if these policy can be enhanced by things like sick leave, not requiring a doctor's note (for shorter absenses), and other policies.

When someone brings a contagious disease to work, they put others at risk for catching it. Many people have kids at home. If they get sick, they take it home, their kids get sick. This is how these things spread.

Personally, my girlfriend is currently on chemotherapy. As such, her immune system is somewhat volatile, so it's best for her not to get sick if avoidable. There's someone in the office that's been coughing and blowing their nose all day. I wish they had taken the initiative to stay home.

Again, this isn't particularly related to the swine flu. I don't want anyone coming to work with swine flu, regular flu, bird flu, mono, or anything of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Yay Trust !
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I think that most people are aware of this anyway, but for anyone who may not be, the "flu" shot that we are all encouraged to get each year or two is not for swine flu prevention. I mention this because in recent weeks we have seen a steady increase in the number of people calling our pharmacy customer service center to order Tamiflu as a precaution against H1N1 and when it is explained to them that Tamiflu is not a preventive vaccine for swine flu they seem a bit confused.

Another little safety precaution to add to what is already being suggested here is Lysol disinfectant spray. Doesn't hurt to occasionally spray a bit into the air in each room of the house as well as on pillows, blankets etc. I suspect, like hound, that much of the hoopla is fueled by big pharma and unfortunately the media feeds right into the fear and fuels the issue for their own profit motives. But better safe than sorry.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    I suspect, like hound, that much of the hoopla is fueled by big pharma and unfortunately the media feeds right into the fear and fuels the issue for their own profit motives. But better safe than sorry.
    Yeah, exactly -- big pharma will profit from the hysteria.

Oh, and the Govt. is in on the deal too because they need to create some distraction so that people won't dwell on the lousy way the economy has been handled.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Oh, and the Govt. is in on the deal too because they need to create some distraction so that people won't dwell on the lousy way the economy has been handled.
    That's not entirely accurate. CDC and NIH personnel make these outrageous statements, creating runs on drugs, because almost every one of them in any public position, position of power, or who are in charge of key "studies" on drug effectiveness, are bought and paid consultants for BIG PHARMA.

If you remember the expose' two or three years ago when it came out that most of the hierarchy of the NIH were doing the bidding of big pharma, the head of NIH was fired, and ethics requirements re-written, but the outcome of the Bush adm re-write was only more disclosure of their conflicts-of-interest, not a prohibition of them.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Affiliate Hound, you can believe what you'd like.
    I believe that big pharma profits are running the scare production and my thoughts on govt. tend to be negative

If anyone tries to jab me with a flu shot syringe, watch how fast I skip town unless I am shackled and forced to submit
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Hound, you can believe what you'd like.
    I believe that big pharma profits are running the scare production and my thoughts on govt. tend to be negative
    We're saying the same thing - big pharma owns the CDC and NIH and that is the who, where and why of health scare tactics.
    If anyone tries to jab me with a flu shot syringe, watch how fast I skip town unless I am shackled and forced to submit
    I went more than five years without ever taking even a single pill of any kind, and in the years since have only taken the very occasional tylenol. Flu shot? Over my dead, decayed, swine-n1h1-avian-flu/bubonic-plague ravaged body.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    ...bubonic-plague ravaged body.
    Related but slightly off-topic: Bubonic plague is still alive and well in some parts of the world [and thanks to Globalization it might make a come back ]
    I highly recommend the New York Times Bestseller In the Wake of the Plague by Norman F. Cantor.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Related but slightly off-topic: Bubonic plague is still alive and well in some parts of the world [and thanks to Globalization it might make a come back ]
    I highly recommend the New York Times Bestseller In the Wake of the Plague by Norman F. Cantor.
    It is quite common to find California ground squirrels to have the plague, and every few years, a human contracts it, the last such reported case (in CA) having occurred in 2006.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread