Maryland Battle Will Be Back
    Earlier today I published posts at both Affiliate Voice blog and NY Affiliate Voice about Maryland. Senator Madaleno, a State Senator in Maryland, has announced that he will introduce his "E-fairness" bill as soon as session resumes in January. Once again this means that Internet sales tax or advertising tax can happen in Maryland.

Now is the time for Maryland affiliates to act. From preparing your websites to making contact with your representatives NOW. Please post here or get in touch with me so I can help you. I can share some tips and and information, assist in conference calls...

You don't have to storm the capitol if you don't want to but you do have to prepare your business. Merchants may terminate you in anticipation of legislation. Several large merchants have already announced it. Be proactive.

Opms, merchants and networks please assist in getting the word out. I am hoping that at least a few affiliates from Maryland step forward to work together now, rather than waiting for the last minute. We have a few months notice, lets make use of them.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Affiliate Manager Sharon.Mostyn's Avatar
    I'm revisiting Kim's post at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=118109 to get the contact names/email addresses and letters sent out again.

Thanks for keeping us informed!
    sharon

Fairness, indeed.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I contacted all of my Congresspeople/Representatives/Legislators/Delegates/etc. proactively to let them know that the affiliate community (aka their constituents) is NOT happy about this being introduced again in Maryland. Here are the replies I've received so far:
    Senator James Brochin - I oppose this as well.
    Delegate Bill Frank - I am completely opposed to taxing sales over the Internet.
    and a lovely form letter saying absolutely nothing from Congressman Frank Kratovil, Jr. -
    Thank you for contacting my office to share your thoughts with me. As your Representative, I am guided by the perspectives of my constituents and our common goals of restoring fiscal responsibility to our federal government, revitalizing our economy, protecting the Chesapeake Bay and preserving the agricultural heritage of our communities.

I always appreciate hearing from constituents like you who are interested in discussing the important issues affecting Maryland and the nation. My job as your representative is to fight for the for policies and resources that will best help the residents of the First District, to help connect you with federal agencies when needed, and to answer your questions and comments regarding issues before Congress. I will keep your thoughts in mind as any legislation or proposals are considered in Committee or by the full House of Representatives. It is an honor to serve active citizens like you in Congress.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future regarding issues that concern you. I believe that continuous communication with the residents of the First District is essential to helping me be an effective advocate for you in Congress. To stay informed, please visit my website at www.house.gov/kratovil.

Thank you again for contacting me and I look forward to hearing from you.

Guess which one won't be getting my vote the next time he comes up for reelection?

Be lucky you got an answer. A lot of NC lawmakers (and/or their legislative assistantants) delete messages without even opening them (message tracking tells us this).

Not only did Kratovil send me a form letter, he also signed me up for his enewsletter!!! The nerve...hit the "Spam" button and hope his deliverability tanks!

Glad you received a couple of positive responses. Thanks for taking the time to work on this. Looking for a couple more people to help, that will make it easier.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy

A close associate of mine in Maryland received his first letter today informing him that his affiliate relationship is being terminated due to the "Maryland tax proposals". Any body have any idea why retailers are already cutting off affiliates if the tax hasn't even been passed?
    Jason
    [url=http://www.bhphoto.com/]B&H Photo[/url] :|: [url=http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/affiliates.jsp]Join Our Affiliate Program[/url] :|: [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2478435]Join on CJ[/URL]
    email: Jasonn at BHphoto.com

Many merchants are advised by their accountants and attorney to be remove affiliates in advance of a law taking effect to help remove the chance that the law will be enacted with little notice.

In most cases, Nexus is established by activities in the previous 4 quarters.

In addition to removing affiliates for pending legislation or anticipated legislation, other merchants are removing affiliates in "aggressive" states (states who are sending out questionnaires).

We will see more of these actions, especially as sessions gear up. Most regular sessions will begin after January but emergency or special sessions have been or will be called prior to regular sessions. Because the special sessions often address critical budget issues, nexus legislation may be proposed.

Important to also remember many states will step enforcement of current legislation, a reason I strongly urge every affiliate to study their state's definition. Merchants also need to ensure they are in compliance with current laws; a sales and use tax professional is vital.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread