My Server Under Attack - Brute Force
    I got locked out of my VPS for a short while and the reason was that there had just been a brute force attack on the server. WHM suggested changing the username but I don't think you can. I just see the option for a new password. I'm checking with support and will find out.

Just posting this so that everybody will make sure to have one of those funky hard to remember passwords that's rated secure. I probably wouldn't have known about the attack if I hadn't tried to get in during the lock down timeout.

Yikes -- I hope nothing was compromised on your site info/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    Just posting this so that everybody will make sure to have one of those funky hard to remember passwords that's rated secure.
    I'm sorry that you had/are having this problem. I hope that any damage (if any) is minimal.

Would a "funky hard to remember password" make a difference if a key logger was involved?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Was this an attempt at someone getting into root access on the server through SSH? If so, changing your SSH port will stop all of those attempts and noticed - I can't remember any instanced of an attacker trying to brute force my server through the web CPanel login box...

Sorry to hear that this is happening.

Not sure what is going on - too techy for my knowledge but hope it is fixed.

While it looked threatening, support says:
    I would suggest that you actually retain your current username and password credentials as this was just a general warning message.
    So it appears not to be that bad. I'm still glad my password is a tough one. They didn't actually get in, but where only trying.

If the user id you use there is common enough (like "johnp" or "jpowell"), it could have been another customer who registers with that login but had to choose a different one when he/she registered.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    They didn't actually get in, but where only trying.
    I'm glad you came out okay!
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Do your cron jobs need to escalate their privileges or login to the server?

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread