An Affiliate left my Program
    Earlier today I wrote an affiliate congratulating them on their sales success (4 sales in less than a week). They were using Google ad words. In summary my email to them was:

(edited to post in the forum)
    "I notice that you are using PPC advertising. I assume you are using keywords such as; ..., ..., etc... (these were our domain/company name)
    While it was great seeing sales come in...I quickly learned you are receiving commission for sales that we would have gotten with or without you (they were all our previous customers). I am OK with this..."

I merely went on to ask if they are going to expand their keywords list. Without an email response, they LEFT THE PROGRAM.

Did I do/say something wrong? I simply don't understand why.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
    Jim

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMedUSA.com
    Earlier today I wrote an affiliate congratulating them on their sales success (4 sales in less than a week). They were using Google ad words. In summary my email to them was:

"I notice that you are using PPC advertising. I assume you are using keywords such as; ..., ..., etc... (these were our domain/company name)
    While it was great seeing sales come in...I quickly learned you are receiving commission for sales that we would have gotten with or without you (they were all our previous customers). I am OK with this..."

I merely went on to ask if they are going to expand their keywords list. Without an email response, they LEFT THE PROGRAM.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
    Jim
    4 Sales in less than a week?

What was the commish?

Was it worth the effort?

Did they make a profit or spend hard earned dollars and lose money for those 4 sales in a week?

Thinking Out Loud!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

$33.64 commission and they had no adword competition on our company name. I think those 4 sales might have cost them around 12 clicks...what's that maybe $3?

they definately made out.

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    Was it worth the effort?

Did they make a profit or spend hard earned dollars and lose money for those 4 sales in a week?
    That was my thought. It must be pretty pathetic to cheat and still come up short, he probably thought you were being sarcastic.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I'm new to running our affilaite program:

in what way were they cheating? Using my company/domain names?

Is $8-9/sale good commission?

thanks

I'm new to running our affilaite program:

in what way were they cheating? Using my company/domain names?
    I'm sorry I may have jumped the gun. I assumed that you had restrictions on your domain name and trademarked terms. If you have no restrictions in your TOS than the affiliate did absolutely nothing wrong. Frankly, if you have no restrictions on PPC bidding then your offhand comments regarding their bidding may have been construed as out of line. If you are truly OK with paying commissions on existing customers then you probably shouldn't have mentioned it.

If you're really interested in why the affiliate left your program then reach out in another e-mail and ask. You have absolutely nothing to lose and you may learn something.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Since I started reading about all of these "restrictions on your domain name and trademarked terms" this morning. I have learned a few things and have since restricted a few names. It is clearly listed on my signup page now.

Something I haven't mentioned yet to the forum..., prior to the affiliate leaving, I told this affiliate that they could hold exclusive rights to using our name in keyword searches. I guess they weren't interested.

thanks for the help

While it was great seeing sales come in...I quickly learned you are receiving commission for sales that we would have gotten with or without you (they were all our previous customers).

Uh, I would have left the program too.. lol. While you are saying you were congratulating them.. you might reread that a few times and you will see how the affiliate read it... maybe like this....

'We noticed you made sales and the sales you made were really with customers that already belonged to us. By keyword bidding, you essentially stole sales from us, that we would have gotten anyway, and would not have had to pay commission to you on had you not bid on keywords. Please send me a list of keywords you are using so we can ban them'

haha.. just a thought.

Online Marketing Consultant

Any thoughts?

thanks,
    Jim
    I would have given them the boot asap. I can probably guess exactly who it was...There is a well known list by OPMs that we all have collected of trademark bidders and when they get caught they get booted. If they would have expanded their list they would have responded back.

If they are only trademark bidding they are adding zero value to you and that will actually cause other Affiliates to not want to join your program. Also, why would you want to pay out on your current customers, especially ones who were searching for your name directly and not even a coupon code?

You are better off without them and bidding on your own trademarks.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Online Marketing Consultant
    On another note...great looking site, but if you want to increase your conversions and response, you may want to add in a large call to action above the fold on your homepage and display the product and benefits in a simpler way with a bulleted list of the benefits and how quickly it works. You may also want to throw a couple of boxed off testimonials from current customers.

Just a couple of quick thoughts.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Rollerblader:
    Thanks for your comments and thoughts.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
    Jim
    If you say this to affiliates then tell me wtf you have a affiliate program, if you can make sales on ppc campaigns with or without affiliates.....
    WOW.......
    And FYI no smart affiliate will release their keywords, and it is arrogant to assume the affiliate is using your trademark. Its super easy to check and you probably know that I think what you wanted was to see what keywords they are using so you can use those and then prohibit them on ur affiliate site....thats sleezy.
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    If you didn't have your keyword policy clearly defined and included a link in your email the affiliate was not in violation of your terms. Do not contact them back until that is put in place. Make sure it is in the proper place in your program which is how your network will enforce. Having it present on your sign-up page is a good idea but an affiliate who activates months after joining will not reference that. Once this is in place approach the affiliate to tell them that you did not reverse their commissions but that you request that they do not continue to trademark bid. Allow them to bid within your policy terms apologize for not having your terms defined originally.

Since your site is relatively new and your brand not well established you can for a relationship with a handful of affiliates and let them bid on the trademark but below your listings. This is a wonderful way to extend your brand and push competitors off the brand bids. Your PPC costs will go up slightly but you will gain much more sales.

Quote Originally Posted by snappy
    If you say this to affiliates then tell me wtf you have a affiliate program, if you can make sales on ppc campaigns with or without affiliates.....

I think some people are misunderstanding me. I guess I didn't do all my home work before I started the program...I was thinking traffic sources would be from websites, not PPC. Prior to starting this program...if you typed in my domain name or product name, my website was #1, no need to spend PPC $ to list my domain name or product name.

Once I learned that affiliates use PPC, I told this affiliate that he could keep using my trademarks, then they quit. I never told them that they were in violation. I did not reverse commission and never planned on it. I offered them the ability to keep bidding, that wasn't my concern. I was just wondering if they were using more keywords other than my domain name or product name. I was just trying to learn how affiliates work,,,nothing at all in trying to make their job tougher and prohibit other keywords or me being 'sleezy'.

Since then I have change the affiliate agreement concerning all the trademarks. The only thing I intend to block is my domain name/company name. Because as we are still a smaller company, the people who type our company name in google already has a bottle in their hand or their friend told them about the product.

I hope this makes sense. Even though I am new, I am a 100% honest merchant. Just trying to learn how things work.

Hi,

Don't get so personal,everyone knows your an honest merchant.Since you are new, you haven't defined your keyword policy clearly, which is bound to happen with most of the merchants.Now that you have set that right, don't worry,if not this affiliate you will get few more who would be doing better than this one. Probably,something that you have mentioned in your mail mus have triggered the affiliate, just send them another mail and leave it.They will come back if they are genuine as they would feel that your genuine too.

Best wishes.

Cheers

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi

Well I think a combination of things happen.

More than likely the affiliate is one of a bunch of well documented folks that make a living bidding on merchants TradeMarks and the like, so when they saw your email their eyes on travelled as far as "I notice that you are using PPC advertising. I assume you are using keywords such as.." and then they automatically associated it with the many other "cease and desist" emails that they get, assumed it was the same and dropped out.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

I was just wondering if they were using more keywords other than my domain name or product name.
    No, like Chris said (though he didn't use the word), they were most likely a TM poacher, someone who makes a living off of bidding on merchant names/domains. They saw your email, assumed it was another like many they've seen before and dropped you before you could complain to SAS.

Some may shout that they're not a "poacher" if you didn't have a policy against TM bidding, and especially if you were happy to accept it, but their reaction sounds like they've probably ignored a few policies over the years.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't sound like they brought much value anyway.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Why are you worried about this one affiliate? They were bidding on your trade name, although you should pay them (as it appears you will) since you did not yet have restrictions in place. But now you have new PPC restrictions, as you should. This affiliate that left would probably not have gotten the sales without trademark bidding.

Let your Terms speak for you. Make them clear, and don't bother with the emails, except to help or assist affiliates that request your help, or to warn those clearly violating your terms.

And if you want to bring in new affiliates, make your program attractive by offering a datafeed and autodeposit (which I see you do have). And consider a paid advertisement on this forum.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread