Thread: Event Engine not working since 9/5 pm

Event Engine not working since 9/5 pm
    Ticketmaster Event Engine has not worked at all since at least last night, 9/5 (I don't know when it started). It finds "no events", regardless of search, and also shows that way in the management area. Look at any site that uses it and you will see the problem.

I'm experiencing the same issue. This applies to all Event Engine widgets, regardless of artist or layout, and on both HTML and Flash based widgets as well. I have emailed a contact at platform-a about the issue, but being a holiday weekend I'm sure it will take some time to recover. In the meantime, we've added a few additional banners/buttons with direct links to try and recover some of our losses. :-(

I too emailed a contact there, on Sunday morning. I guess they don't read their email over the weekend (unlike some of us). I also reported it via the contact form Sunday evening just before I posted here. I thought maybe someone might look here, if not check email.

My guess about the cause is that the feed is down; that seems the most logical possibility for a total failure like this. If the feed is down, it's something Ticketmaster has to fix.

Actually, there's another possibility and I base it on what it says under product feeds. There is mention of a change in format. Maybe, that's it?

I first noticed the problem on Friday afternoon 09/04/2009, and reported it immediately.

Today, I noticed that I had received an email from support overnight that asked for examples. I replied a couple of hours ago. Unfortunately, if support is in the UK, they may already be off duty.

My site is a disaster area, since I have so many widgets. I have a few widgets that are "working", but they have incorrect data. Go figure.

This is really unbelieveable; it may be a holiday weekend, but to have no real support for the entire time is ... well ... not expected from an affiliate network that has been rock solid up until now.

I notice that the samples in the Management Area now look right, but both are geographic location based widgets. Artist widgets still don't work at all. If it's any comfort, I think they are working on it because the results have been changing as I test.

Thankfully, I was down to only one widget because they kept making changes that caused the widgets not to work; for example, changing the artist id when a new concert segment is announced. So I had to keep checking, and it isn't worth it to me. They don't seem to appreciate the concept of being able to place some code on one's site and not have to worry about changing it at random times in the future. Anyhow, when my one remaining widget failed, I just took it out. I have direct links for all the listed concerts anyway, but the widget seemed to bring in the occasional sale.

The same situation happened over the long Memorial Day weekend in May. Whatever they did to fix it then could possibly be the answer now.

Searching through my emails, I see that widget outages also wrecked my site on June 5, but was resolved rather quickly.

Each failure (that I am aware of) has been on a Friday in the US.

Interesting. I had not noticed any previous failures, and I do check my site frequently. I guess I'll leave the widget off my site for the time being. I am not convinced it made much difference, since the number of sales via the widget was small. I tend to think that the people who clicked on the widget would have otherwise chosen a direct link.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Good morning -

We identified the issue late on Friday evening and were pursuing it over the weekend. We worked with several affiliates to gather more information regarding the apparent issues.

My sincerest apologies for not posting sooner but I don't like to post until I have some absolute answers.

That said, the issue appears to be related to the TM feeds. We, the network, access TM servers and pick up the data then process the data into usable data feeds.

Over the weekend something at TM changed and our access to the feeds was blocked. We worked as quickly as possible to identify both the cause and possible resolutions.

At present the feeds are back up, we are working with TM to identify exactly what happened and how to keep it from happening again in the future.

Regarding the outage in May, the issue was completely different, as it was pixel related and not feed related. At that time all TM affiliates were compensated for the outage according to their historic sales figures. I will be speaking with TM today to identify if/how they will be compensating for this feed related issue.

As we have more information I will post it to the forum and again my apologies for not posting sooner.

c3

Thank you for the update Charles,
    Please note that at the moment it seems the widgets are still not working completely. To be specific, HTML widgets built using the artist layout are now showing the artist image, but no dates. This applies to the existing widgets on our sites, as well as when I try to build a new widget. You can see an example of this at URL REMOVED
    Thanks for your attention to this matter and I look forward to the resolution.
    Last edited by bumpinteractive; September 8th, 2009 at 10:04 AM.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Bump -

Thanks for the heads up there...

I just spoke to my technical team and the answer I was given is we are still having problems logging into the TM servers. That said we provided a temporary work around so the widgets and feeds were at least working and not simply blank.

We loaded the last file we had which we were able to pull from the TM servers.

Regarding the TSwift widget, we need to get a more up to date feed from TM to get the mid-late September dates into the system.

Once again we are working closely, even as I write this, with TM to get this issue resolved.

As always my deepest thanks for your patience and help in identifying the issue.

c3

Thank you Charles, the taylor swift example is just one of hundreds of instances where we are using these widgets, and one of my higher-performing ones at that so I appreciate the update.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Sorry for the trouble Bump - I can assure you we are working as hard and fast as we can to get this resolved.

I should know more soon, will get back with you ASAP.

c3

Affiliate Network Rep
    All feeds and widgets should now be up to date -

If you are continuing to see a problem please PM me or email me at

charles.calabrese[at]buy.at

c3

Just wanted to confirm that the widget is indeed working again for me (Artist format), and that I much appreciate Charlie's updates.

FYI, in emails I discussed the ongoing but less than show-stopping issue with the Event Engine widgets showing European format dates (dd-mm-yyyy) for North American events, rather than the customary US/North American format (mm-dd-yyyy).
    For a date such as September 22nd, it is obvious that the format is reversed, but for dates before the 13th, people can misread it. The problem can be circumvented simply by replacing the generated &COUNTRY=NA with &COUNTRY=US in the widget, before pasting it to your site. (I don't even remember how I discovered that; I think I desparately tried US and was pleased when it worked).

16. Newsletter Signup