Wordpress Affiliate Theme
    I'm totally inexperienced in designing and coding websites (I'm old enough to claim that I learned a little bit of BASIC and Cobol in 1984 in college, but haven't gone near this stuff since).

I've been working with several of the free wp themes available direclty from wp.com, especially Atahualpa. I like the theme and it has lots of options, but I'm still very frustrated trying to get this up and running. I mean things that should be simple - changing the font on one widget but not another, changing the banner design, etc. I don't even understand what some of these options are referring to, and the amount of time I am investing in this is taking away from other things that I could be doing that might actually produce some income.

I would prefer to NOT farm this out to a sub-contractor as will not help me later when I want to build and update multiple websites. It also just annoys the heck out of me that I seem to be struggling with wp so much and confess my perfectionism may be the real problem.

So I stumbled accross the Affiliate Theme, which does cost a bit of money ($197 for unlimted sites with a bunch of free banners and support included). This seems like a reasonable alternative, especially since I suspect most of my sites will be more product oriented than ebooks and information sales. Can anyone comment on this theme, or give some other advice to help with the struggle that I am having?

Thanks.

If you find themes in general confusing I doubt that a paid theme would help that. Probably you'll need to dig in and learn the theming system before you will feel comfortable with any theme. Maybe just start out with the simple Wordpress Basic theme to get your feet wet - yes it is simple and doesn't look that nice, but it will be easier to understand the options.

Take a look at these free themes

1500+free High Quality Wordpress themes Collections
    http://wpbized.com/1500-more-free-hi...llecitons.html

Just thinking about themes & the look has stalled me from writing blog posts for 2 years.
    Now I am in the process of picking a theme and customizing it a bit
    There are so many out there
    Last edited by Rhia7; September 6th, 2009 at 06:33 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Not sure if this will help but I started a recent WP theme thread - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=122972

so I know how hard it can be finding one you like. I have bunch bookmarked I plan on going thru again.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Off of the top of my head, I would do a Google Search for Blogs, find one that you like, get the theme, find it and use it as you will....

There are several ABWers here with great themes.

Wouldn't occur to me to PAY for a WP theme, as so many are available for free.

I like FREE!

Free is GOOD!

As with anything else, do the homework and go with what feels right.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Take a look at these free themes

1500+free High Quality Wordpress themes Collections
    http://wpbized.com/1500-more-free-hi...llecitons.html

Just thinking about themes & the look has stalled me from writing blog posts for 2 years.
    Now I am in the process of picking a theme and customizing it a bit
    There are so many out there
    Thanks, Rhia. I've seen quite a few themes that I like, it's actually using them and customizing them that paralyzes me. The words used are foreign to me - widget, style.css, html, php, no-follow - and all the wp plug-ins. . . I get lost in the research and detail, and reading the codex is about as helpful as reading Hebrew.

BTW, isn't there another bunch of posts around here about being careful with these free themes - that they sometimes have hidden links that can cause problems? I don't remember (nor did I understand, obviously) the problem, but I'm sure there was a thread about this.

Quote Originally Posted by jkgourmet
    Thanks, Rhia. I've seen quite a few themes that I like, it's actually using them and customizing them that paralyzes me.
    Join the club
    Sooner or later you have to try something -- that's what I keep on telling myself
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    I think that the free themes that have gotten to the official wordpress site are checked for hidden text and for extra links. If you are not sure about a theme you have chosen, look at the footer.php and the page template files.

Remodeling Guy, for some people that have a lot of sites a premium theme can be a lifesaver. I like Thesis because it has seo "stuff" built in, I am in control without edited php code and it makes my sites not only look good, but get a lift in the search results pretty quickly.

jkgourmet, I took a look at Affiliate Theme a while back, but didn't buy it and don't remember what I didn't like about it. I will say with absolute certainty that the sites I switched to Thesis have gotten better search traffic after I started using it.

Everyone works differently, everyone is going to find a different set of themes and plugins that work for them. Part of the "fun" is figuring out which ones.

I did stay away from other premium themes before I purchased Thesis because I couldn't give them a try and dig into what they would do that was going to help me. Since I have started using Thesis I have had the opportunity to try a few, and I like what I bought It does what I need and it is easy to add widgets to control the content in the sidebars.

Some premium themes come with plugins included that can be useful, but if you look around most of those mods may also be available for free.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

How much does a Thesis Theme cost?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

jkgourmet it doesn't sound to me like your real issue is finding a theme that you like, it's the editing and customizing that's causing you problems.

I agree with iolaire, a more complex them is only going to create more problems as you try to edit it. And believe me, no matter how complete a theme may seem, at some point in time you're going want to customize it and make changes.

What you really need is a good Wordpress tutorial. Regardless of the theme you choose there are basic editing skills that you'll need and until you learn them any theme you choose is going to be problematic. I don't use Wordpress but I'm sure there are others here that could recommend a good tutorial or book. You can also try performing a search to see what's available.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

http and a telephoto
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    How much does a Thesis Theme cost?
    Most premium themes have the same cost structure, one price to use on one domain and a second "developer" price to use on all your sites if you have many.

Since the prices may change here is the link to the Thesis price page (not an affiliate link!) where you can see current prices and options.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    I had a question about premium themes/price to use on one domain. How do they know or how do they stop you from using it on more than one domain?

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Since the prices may change here is the link to the Thesis price page (not an affiliate link!) where you can see current prices and options.
    Thanks, I Googled Thesis but could not find any info about the prices.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    jkgourmet it doesn't sound to me like your real issue is finding a theme that you like, it's the editing and customizing that's causing you problems.

I agree with iolaire, a more complex them is only going to create more problems as you try to edit it. And believe me, no matter how complete a theme may seem, at some point in time you're going want to customize it and make changes.

What you really need is a good Wordpress tutorial. Regardless of the theme you choose there are basic editing skills that you'll need and until you learn them any theme you choose is going to be problematic. I don't use Wordpress but I'm sure there are others here that could recommend a good tutorial or book. You can also try performing a search to see what's available.

-rematt
    Matt, now that my headache is going away, I think you have hit the nail on the head. I've tried WordPress for Dummies, but it's not all that helpful - possibly I'm not THAT much of a dummy. Codex might as well be written in Hebrew for all I can understand. Anyone have a suggestion for a tutorial that is helpful?

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I had a question about premium themes/price to use on one domain. How do they know or how do they stop you from using it on more than one domain?
    Good question. I bought the developer version right away because I had seen the theme in action already and had listened to tutorials etc before I plunked down my $$$$.

They might "phone home" or require activation. I have a software package (not wordpress related) that requires me to tell the site where my software is and if I try to use it on a different domain, very important parts just don't work.
    Deborah Carney

Hi All!

I am using the WPUnlimited theme (premium theme, I think it's $159 for a multi-use license).

I absolutely LOVE this theme. It it has all the bells and whistles, it's easy to navigate and use, has lots of SEO options, advertising hooks built in, it's just wonderful. They have a pretty good forum also for help with tweaking code if you need it, or just help in using the theme.

I went through quite a few themes before I finally settled on this one, and out of everything I had seen so far this one definitely has the most to offer.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread